PDA

View Full Version : Best blue ink that won't feather

SeminarianMike
April 9th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Hello fellow FP geeks! I need some help... Looking for a good ink that will resist feathering. Something for cheap paper. Being a student I am forced to write on cheap paper fairly regularly. I of course use an EF nib, but I really dislike black ink. Is there a ink that is blue but has anti feathering qualities. If not I was thinking maybe a fast drying ink might do the trick? What are your thoughts on the matter...

God Bless You! Michael W. Howard

stub
April 9th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Platinum Blue-Black is iron gall.

Platinum and Sailor both make nano carbon inks.

Iron Galls and Carbon inks will do better on paper with less sizing.

As for regular dye inks:

Off the top of my head, Waterman Fl Blue does better on crappy paper than does Visconti or Iroshizuku Asa-Gao

Sailor Kenshin
April 9th, 2016, 12:00 PM
What about reg'lar ol' Skrip Blue?

SeminarianMike
April 9th, 2016, 01:39 PM
I'm going to try waterman Florida/Serenity blue see how that goes I keep coming across people saying it performs well on cheap paper

God Bless You! Michael W. Howard

Pterodactylus
April 9th, 2016, 02:24 PM
I also would recommend an iron gall ink.
They perform extraordinary well on cheap paper.
You can almost write on toilet paper with them.

I can recommend especially ESS Registrars Blue-Black or Rohrer&Klingner Salix and Scabiosa.
All 3 are extremely well behaving and need no more maintenance than other inks.

nickmazure
April 12th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Waterman Mysterious Blue is a light blue-black, so it might be acceptable to you, and it behaves very well on copy paper. As others have said, S&K Salix and Platinum Blue-Black are both iron-gall inks that behave exceptionally well. Finally, the regular Pilot Blue (i.e., non-Iroshizuku) is also a well-behaved blue, though the color is a bit bland.

In my experience, a dry-writing pen with a fine or extra fine nib will be particularly useful for taking notes in class.

TheRenaissanceBoy
April 12th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I know the person who posted the thread already is going to buy this, but I might as well say, Waterman Serenity Blue has performed excellent on cheap paper. The blue is neither boring nor distracting. The shade is very deep, yet subtle. I fully recommend Waterman Serenity Blue Ink.

TSherbs
April 12th, 2016, 04:56 PM
I know the person who posted the thread already is going to buy this, but I might as well say, Waterman Serenity Blue has performed excellent on cheap paper. The blue is neither boring nor distracting. The shade is very deep, yet subtle. I fully recommend Waterman Serenity Blue Ink.

I don't find the shade/color of Waterman serenity "deep" at all. Even Pelikan 4001 is a slightly darker shade of blue (more purple, too). Waterman is the lightest blue I own, and it lightens further as it dries (in all my experience).

sharmon202
April 12th, 2016, 07:53 PM
I agree Serenity blue is a washed out blue. Maybe mix Noodlers black with one of their blues?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

naimitsu
April 13th, 2016, 02:01 PM
These are the ones in the low cost range that didn't feather on me:

deAtramentis Sapphire Blue
Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue
Sailor Jentle Blue
Sailor Souten
Toucan Royal Blue

Sailor Kenshin
April 13th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Another vote for Sailor Jentle. It's a darker blue and behaving very well in my Sapporo.

bluesea
April 15th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Have just inked my Sapporo ef with a Sailor blue-black (Sei Boku) cartridge, and it writes fine on my printing paper. Sei Boku is a nice blue-black that leans to blue.

Brian1
April 18th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Noodler's Eel Blue performs well on the cheap copy paper my company buys for us to use. Looking at the text I wrote with the EF nib on my TWSBI Vac Mini there is no noticeable feathering using my naked eye. Using a 10x loop there is only minor feathering noticeable.

ac12
April 21st, 2016, 12:16 AM
Waterman is a wet ink. All things being equal, that means that the pen will put down more ink onto the paper. More ink = greater chance of feathering and bleed though.
An alternative is to use a dry ink, like Pelikan. This would put down less ink onto the paper. Less ink = less chance of feathering and bleed through.

Alternatively you can adjust the nib to write dryer. Or get someone to do that for you. Keep in mind that some pens are more difficult to adjust the nib than others, and what works on one pen may or may not work on yours.

Note that a dry writing pen will have a lighter ink line than a wet writing pen. This is simply due to less ink being put down by the pen.

stub
April 21st, 2016, 01:57 AM
Waterman is a wet ink.

by 1985 standards.

And yet, Waterman feathers less than many drier inks ... go figure.

More ink = greater chance of feathering and bleed though.
An alternative is to use a dry ink, like Pelikan. This would put down less ink onto the paper. Less ink = less chance of feathering and bleed through.

Generally true but ink's propensity to feather, in normal quantities, is down to the composition of the ink, the properties of the dye, the addition of surfactants and humectants, etc.

The "make my pen super dry so it doesn't feather" approach seems wrong headed to me. I'd advise that you find an ink that resist feathering first. In fact if you go with an ink specifically formulated to resist feathering (x-feather, Iron Gall, Carbon inks) you might actually want a very wet pen.

YMMV

You can cure your headache by chopping off your head. I advise against it.

SIR
April 21st, 2016, 02:44 AM
You may find either Platinum's Pigment Blue or Rohrer & Klingner's Salix to your liking.

Please bear in mind the examples shown below were achieved using a post office nib which lays down a very heavy amount of ink thereby giving the generic cheap copy paper (HP Bright White Inkjet 90gsm (http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/914515/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=sea_shoppingWT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=google_search_UK&scamp=shopping&saddg=computing&gclid=CKTi582qn8wCFQ4TGwodtkcH9A)) plenty of opportunity to facilitate each respective ink's feathering.

:dirol:

inklord
April 21st, 2016, 01:35 PM
Another vote for Sailor - Nioi-Sumire is a nice royal blue and quite feather resistant. R&K Salix (you can mix in 25% Scabiosa for a bit more vibrancy) is excellent regarding feathering and waterproofness...

bwnewton
April 23rd, 2016, 05:54 PM
If water resistance is not a requirement, then I highly recommend Lamy Blue. It's not a flashy blue, but it behaves very well on poor quality, absorbent paper--no bleed-through or feathering. And, it comes in a great user-friendly bottle. Price is good, too.

BayesianPrior
May 6th, 2016, 02:12 PM
A quick and dirty comparison of Sailor Jentle Nioi-Sumire, Sailor Jentle Blue, and Sailor Jentle Blue-Black on Rhodia 80gsm.24585