PDA

View Full Version : Removing super glue in barrel?

Nineninenine
April 9th, 2016, 10:35 AM
I bought a vintage Pelikan recently and in cleaning it before the first ink (everything looks to be working) I noticed that there seems to be a smidge of glue on the barrel, right next to the section. Looking closer, I saw what looked like old ink inside the barrel, but pen flush did nothing. That's when I realized, a previous owner must have done a DIY repair and glued the section to the barrel (why I don't know, maybe replaced a section?), but in the process, got glue INTO the barrel, and ink was stuck to its rough surface. Poking at it with a toothpick I could feel it was rough patch, unlike the rest of the inside of the barrel.

This looks to be purely cosmetic, because I think the pen works (tested w water. Fills and empties fine, nib unscrews easily and looks OK. Will try with ink after it dries out), but wondering how to get rid of that glue stuck to the side IN the barrel. I've seen people use fine grain sandpaper to get rid of glue on the outside of vintage pens, but what about inside? Anything simple a newbie like me can do, or needs tools that means better left to a pro?

Thanks!

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

penwash
April 9th, 2016, 10:40 AM
A photo or two will make things clearer.
I don't follow whether the glue is inside of the barrel (who would see that) or on the outside of the barrel (where people can actually see it).

Nineninenine
April 9th, 2016, 10:50 AM
A photo or two will make things clearer.
I don't follow whether the glue is inside of the barrel (who would see that) or on the outside of the barrel (where people can actually see it).
OK, will try to get a photo or 2 of this.

It is a striped tortoise barrel so I can hold it up to the light and see inside. Glue is in barrel, and also there is a smaller amount of glue outside the barrel, a smudge below the section.

Hawk
April 9th, 2016, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't worry about it unless it interferes with the function of the pen. Using abrasive would smooth it down but, depending on the grit used, ink may stick to the surface more redilly. If that occurs and it bothers you, you would have to use a series of finer grit to polish the surface.

Nineninenine
April 9th, 2016, 11:25 AM
OK, let's see if these pictures upload...

This is pen lifted up to my kitchen light, the black stuff in there is the glue with I guess black ink embedded in it.

And here is the pen from the outside - that white stuff near the section is the glue. Can also kinda see the blackish glue inside too?

tandaina
April 9th, 2016, 01:24 PM
OK, let's see if these pictures upload...

This is pen lifted up to my kitchen light, the black stuff in there is the glue with I guess black ink embedded in it.

And here is the pen from the outside - that white stuff near the section is the glue. Can also kinda see the blackish glue inside too?

I might contact Rick of thepenguinpen. He's expert at Pelikan repair and can guide you.

Chrissy
April 9th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Does anyone know if Naphtha on a cotton bud might remove it without doing any damage to the inside of the barrel? If left there surely it will damage the piston seal that keeps coming into contact with it?

snowbear
April 9th, 2016, 03:49 PM
SuperGlue(R) or CA (Cyanoacrylate) can be cleaned up or dissolved with acetone or fingernail polish remover (I wouldn't let it near a pen) - I don't know about Naphtha.

jkingrph
April 9th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Naphtha will not touch Superglue. Only acetone, methy ethyl ketone, and possibly lacquer thinner will dissolve dried or hardened Superglue. I would not get any of these solvents near a pen acrylic or celluloid, as they will dissolve, soften, or cloud the appearance at the very least.

If the pen is working the best bet would be to leave it alone. next some ultra fine grit wet/dry type sandpaper, probably start about 1500 grit and progress to a finer grit like 2500 then 3000. Wrap it around a small dowel or rod so it will fit inside the barrel closely and go very slow. The finer grits are more for polishing than actual material removal and you might just get lucky.

Honestly before I started doing anything like this I would write the pen off as a loss, and consider it a learning experiment.

penwash
April 9th, 2016, 04:16 PM
I would not try to dissolve it. Anything that can dissolve a hardened glue may do damage to the barrel also.

I agree with those who recommend sanding the rough patch down.
Hardware stores sells sheets of 2000 grit sandpaper that you can cut into strips. Tape or glue one of these strips to the larger end of a chopstick and use it to sand down the patch.

Go slow, check often and don't try to finish in one sitting.

Chrissy
April 9th, 2016, 11:04 PM
It's as I thought. Naphtha won't dissolve it. I had hoped that maybe it would just weaken it enough for it to be scraped off of the inside of the barrel more easily. I find that when I have some adhesive blobs remaining on my restoration tiles, a little Methylated Spirit loosens them enough for them to be flicked off to clean the tiles.

No way would I ever let acetone anywhere near any pen or anything plastic unless i wanted to dissolve it.

Nineninenine
April 15th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Currently I have the pen inked with blue ink and can't see the glue so that makes the problem less obvious. When I clean this out will contemplate trying the sandpaper and chopstick suggestion. It really is cosmetic, the pen works as it should and am enjoying that!