PDA

View Full Version : parker vector gold nib very scratchy..any help?

ak2k5
April 10th, 2016, 01:31 AM
hi this is my first time posting here so kindly forgive if this is the wrong forum..

i regularly use fountain pens but i dont consider myself an expert in it..i usually dont tamper it and use it in the same condition as it is out of the box.
recently got myself and parker vector gold GT pen.i like the looks and ergonomics but the nib is very scratchy.it has improved after considerable writing but it does feel pretty bad time to time.the ink flow is ok and there is not any skipping of the ink..
can u guys suggest anyway to smoothen the nib a bit? coz i really like the pen otherwise ..

snowbear
April 10th, 2016, 08:30 PM
What about the paper? Some papers can make pens feel scratchy.

Lady Onogaro
April 10th, 2016, 08:48 PM
See SBRE Brown's advice on nib smoothing. Goulet also has some videos on nib smoothing.

carlos.q
April 10th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Many things can make a pen scratchy:
1. User error (using a FP like a ballpoint, pressing the nib too much, holding the FP at a high angle, etc.)
2. Tines that are not properly aligned (you will need a 10x or more loupe to fix this)
3. Dry nibs with dry ink on very crappy paper.
4. A nib that needs smoothing.
Between #1 and #2 you will find 95% of all scratchiness.

ak2k5
April 11th, 2016, 05:25 AM
What about the paper? Some papers can make pens feel scratchy.
Nopes good quality paper.. At least my Pierre Cardin and lamy or baoer didn't have a problem..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ak2k5
April 11th, 2016, 05:26 AM
See SBRE Brown's advice on nib smoothing. Goulet also has some videos on nib smoothing.
Thanks

ak2k5
April 11th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Many things can make a pen scratchy:
1. User error (using a FP like a ballpoint, pressing the nib too much, holding the FP at a high angle, etc.)
2. Tines that are not properly aligned (you will need a 10x or more loupe to fix this)
3. Dry nibs with dry ink on very crappy paper.
4. A nib that needs smoothing.
Between #1 and #2 you will find 95% of all scratchiness.
Well have been using FP for a bit.. Anyways no problems with other pens I have...
Is quink ink a dry one?
How can I check alignment of the tines?

ac12
April 13th, 2016, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=

First option, you will need a 10x loupe, so you can see the nib. Then you can see if the tips are in alignment with each other, or not.

Second option is drawing lines, L to R, and R to L. This is done with the nib level to the paper. If you feel scratching in one direction (L to R) and smooth in the other direction (R to L). Then the left tine is lower than the right tine. You either raise the left or lower the right. Even with a loupe, you should do this excercise, as some times, the nib may be "slightly out of alignment" so you can't see it, but you can feel it.

Then do similar Top to Bottom, Bottom to Top. This will tell you if you have an edge on the tipping that needs to be rounded off.

carlos.q
April 13th, 2016, 03:48 PM

Download Richard Binder's excellent PDF and enjoy!

www.richardspens.com/pdf/workshop_notes.pdf‎