PDA

View Full Version : Salutations from Waterloo, Canada

Pira
April 11th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Thought I'd be polite and swing by this thread & introduce myself.

I honestly can't recall how I was reminded of the existence of fountain pens a couple of years ago, but suspect it was at the moment when I was ranting about school boards (including the one educating my children) having dismissed handwriting as old fashioned and useless, beginning to limit or eliminate the teaching of cursive.

With the internet at my fingertips I soon found myself wallowing in the wide world of fountain pens. My learning curve was steep and fast, as I tried to figure out what it was I wanted in a writing pen. I learned I prefer Japanese F or EF nibs, have a serious soft spot for those Esterbrook J series work horses and their exchangable with Osmiroid nibs, & tend to coo stupidly over the pens designed from the 1920s - 50s pens. My writing fountain pens of choice currently are my Sailor 1911S F & a Monte Rose EF (mid-60s). I also have an addiction to ink. Modern, old school, permanent or handmade by basement chemists...it's all exciting to me.

Self taught, I like to draw with & photograph the above said inks, although I tend to jump around subject matter, methods and mediums when creating like a bug on a hot plate. Sorry...the muses really never turn off in my head and ink is fascinating stuff that demands exploring!

My quest for ever finer nibs found me at a crossroad of sorts. I have all the writing pens I need...German. English. Japanese. American. Canadian. New, vintage, old...really old... so no fountain pen grails to quest for. And yet I was on a quest....for finer and finer drawing nibs.

Which sent me down the rabbit hole after...my lovely, vintage dip nib pens. Flex or no flex ...I love the sound of scritch scritch scritch across my drawing paper. There is a nib for every purpose and you don't know flex till you've done it with a dip nib. Clever those long dead people. Now I look at the selection of fountain pen nibs and think...wow, that's startlingly limiting. How can people stand it? ;)

But that's the great thing about pens & ink...there is something for everyone.

It's a pleasure to have found this forum and I'm happy to be here.

jar
April 11th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Hawk
April 11th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Welcome.

VertOlive
April 11th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Welcome to you and your pens!

Anne
April 11th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Hello and Welcome!:)
+ 1 for the continuation of teaching cursive in schools.
+ 1 also for the love of the old Esterbrook J and Osmiroid nibs as well! After all, what do computers know? The name of our beloved pen and nibs are sitting on my screen with that
silly red squiggly line, alerting me to the assumption that I have written something terribly wrong ... :rolleyes:

Morgaine
April 12th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Hello and welcome from Wales.

A thought, with being in the centenary of WW1 - many many letters were written then. I wonder how many of today's generation will be able to read their ancestors' letters. There are various Zooniverse Projects - https://www.zooniverse.org/projects?page=1 - Shakespeare's World (and on page 2 of the list) Operation War Diary - not used to that style of handwriting but I can decipher some.

Handwriting styles differ, some easier to read than others. I hope my letters to people are readable!

Pira
April 13th, 2016, 04:24 AM
Hello and welcome from Wales.

A thought, with being in the centenary of WW1 - many many letters were written then. I wonder how many of today's generation will be able to read their ancestors' letters. There are various Zooniverse Projects - https://www.zooniverse.org/projects?page=1 - Shakespeare's World (and on page 2 of the list) Operation War Diary - not used to that style of handwriting but I can decipher some.

Handwriting styles differ, some easier to read than others. I hope my letters to people are readable!

This was one of the things that jumped to my mind the moment I discovered my son (who was perhaps 9 at the time) had only 2 weeks in which to cover the material on the cursive practice sheets and that was the sum total of their lessons. Upon digging I discovered they no longer instruct teachers HOW to teach cursive in college any longer....that's when I hit the roof.

I purchased ever cursive practice book I could lay my hands on locally and he spent the summer working his way through them...and was the ONLY one of his peers who was able to 'sign' his name on his passport applicatioin when the time came. A lot of other parents (many of them teachers) were bemoaning the fact that their children could only print and the government demands a written name. It was a rather nice 'I told you so' moment, I must admit.

It makes me sad though...reading the cursive is going to become a skill akin to deciphering hieroglyphs. Something only an educated few will be able to do and we will be poorer as a society for it. :/

Wahl
April 17th, 2016, 11:28 AM
:welcome:

southpaw52
April 17th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Welcome, glad you are here.

Bisquitlips
April 19th, 2016, 11:44 PM
Welcome from Missouri!

Glad your are here!