PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Vancouver, Canada

Blue Note
April 13th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Hi Everyone. I am a long time user of fountain pens and a collector since 2011. I currently have around 55 pens and counting. My inked pens at the moment are a smoked black Pilot Custom Heritage 92 with FM nib, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne with Soft Fine nib and 2 of my Parker Vacumatics: a 1944 Golden Pearl and a 1946 Azure Blue. It started with my old Geha schullfiller (sp) and then my Dad's sterling silver Parker 75 that my Mum gave me after he died. Then in 2011 we were in York, England when I came upon a specialty pen shop. I didn't know there was such a thing. I bought a used nib and feed for the 75 as it was not performing very well, as well as a Sheaffer Prelude and an Aurora Style. That's when I got the bug. I have at least a dozen pen blogs and reviewers in my favourites, and I am always watching eBay and Amazon for good deals

I am very pleased to have found this forum. It seems to be very civil and friendly. I find FPN a bit too complicated and loaded with advertising lately. Thank you for the warm welcome. I will get more involved as I become more familiar with the site.

Cheers to all my fellow geeks.

carlos.q
April 13th, 2016, 07:40 PM
:welcome:

Welcome to FPGeeks from sunny Puerto Rico!

I visited Vancouver some time ago and have fond memories of a lovely place and friendly people.

drgoretex
April 13th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Welcome, from a former Vancouverite (lived there until I was in my early 20's). Steveston was home.

Hope you enjoy the forum. Have you connected with the Vancouver Pen Club?

Cheers,

Ken

jar
April 13th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Anne
April 13th, 2016, 09:30 PM
I am glad that you joined here.
That is a nice group of pens you have! Is it fair to ask if you have a favorite pen/nib? ( Aside from the sentimental value you may have for some )

I like mango pudding
April 13th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Hello from a fellow Vancouverite.

Blue Note
April 13th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Hi Anne, I have a mix of vintage and new pens. My favourite vintage is an old Swan Blackbird with a 14k nib that flexes from F to BB and never skips or railroads. Of the newer ones, my Namiki Falcon with14k soft medium nib is also a great writer. How about you? Any standout faves?

Blue Note
April 13th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Hi Ken...I am aware of the Vancouver Pen Club, but we actually live on the Sunshine Coast so it is a bit of a trip into town and I haven't been able to attend any meetings. Thanks for the warm welcome. I think I'm going to like it here.

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Hi Blue Note, jazz fan?

Anne
April 14th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Hi Anne, I have a mix of vintage and new pens. My favourite vintage is an old Swan Blackbird with a 14k nib that flexes from F to BB and never skips or railroads. Of the newer ones, my Namiki Falcon with14k soft medium nib is also a great writer. How about you? Any standout faves?

My old standby has been my TWSBI Mini ( 1.1 mm nib ), but I am enjoying my Esterbrook J's with Osmiroid Italic nibs ( Fine, Medium italics ).
My new favorite is a black Barclay Vacuum ( from what used to be Czechoslovakia ) - very comfortable and nice to write with, although the nib it came with needs retipping.

Blue Note
April 14th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Hi bluesea. Yeah, it's one of my top three: Jazz, fountain pens and single malt Scotch. They just seem to go together so well. Cheers.

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Hi bluesea. Yeah, it's one of my top three: Jazz, fountain pens and single malt Scotch. They just seem to go together so well. Cheers.

That was an easy guess. Cool member name!

Listening right now to Cannon Ball, the homage to Cannonball Adderley by Weather Report, in Black Market. Wayne Shorter on the Soprano Sax.

Blue Note
April 15th, 2016, 11:23 AM

Listening right now to Cannon Ball, the homage to Cannonball Adderley by Weather Report, in Black Market. Wayne Shorter on the Soprano Sax.

Good choice. RIP Joe Zawinul. Did you ever see the concert video of Weather Report Live in Offenbach with Jaco Pastorius going crazy on his bass?

Pira
April 17th, 2016, 04:25 AM
And a hardy welcome to a fellow pen loving Canuck :)

Blue Note
April 17th, 2016, 10:53 AM
And a hardy welcome to a fellow pen loving Canuck :)

Thanks Pira. Glad to have found you all.

Wahl
April 17th, 2016, 11:32 AM
:welcome:

bluesea
April 17th, 2016, 12:01 PM

Good choice. RIP Joe Zawinul. Did you ever see the concert video of Weather Report Live in Offenbach with Jaco Pastorius going crazy on his bass?

Have't seen that video unfortunately. Zawinul was such a huge innovator with the synthesizer, although I was sometimes disappointed with Shorter taking the backseat all the time. I will say that Wayne made a big impression whenever he did come in, especially in Black Market that great repertoire of funk-fusion.

southpaw52
April 17th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Welcome, fellow fp geek.

Blue Note
April 17th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Welcome, fellow fp geek.

Thanks southpaw 52. Great to be here with all you nib heads.

Hawk
April 18th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Welcome.

Lady Onogaro
April 18th, 2016, 11:10 PM
:welcome: from Lafayette, Louisiana (the wife of one of my friends is a relation of Sidney Bechet)

Bisquitlips
April 19th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Welcome from Missouri!

Glad your are here!