PDA

View Full Version : Four modest pens

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 11:02 AM
All good beginner pens, although some might find the EF and 2.0 nibs challenging.

- Pilot Metropolitan (black): going to dmitch86
has seen a good amount of use, hit the floor a couple times, and has a fine nib from a Pilot Kakuno--perfectly functional, and still pretty nice looking imo.

- Pilot Kakuno (red cap): going to Papamud
equipped with an EF nib from a Pilot Penmanship

- Pilot Plumix (black), going to Pengineer247
1.0 Italic nib

- Platinum Preppy 2.0 (black) going to newkid

They will come with a couple ink cartridges ea, plus two ink samples of your choice from the list below.

J Herbin Rouge Hematite
J Herbin Emerald of Chivor
Iroshizuku Yama Budo
Iroshizuku Tsutsuji
Omas Sepia
Montblanc Mystery Black
Montblanc Irish Green
Montblanc Corn Poppy Red
PW Akkerman #5 Shocking Blue
Kobe #37 Island Blue

I have a line from a poem off the top of my head below, which actually gave me the idea for the PIF. Two qualified answers: poem title and author.

The two part puzzle:
In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn, a stately pleasure dome decree

third question:
Name the Ancient Greek hero who was held as a sex slave for almost 10 yr.

forth
Why was he tied to the mast of his ship, and his ears stuffed with wax?

clicky
http://i.imgur.com/M9fyWYjl.jpg (http://imgur.com/M9fyWYj)

katherine
April 14th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Oooh, very nice of you to do this!

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Thanks K, I was still editing, but now I'm finished. :O)

Haefennasiel
April 14th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Can penthusiasts from other countries join too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terie_Benjamin
April 14th, 2016, 11:47 AM
I love how this community does this. Although I'm new to fp, I've been pif to others. Thank you for doing this. I don't want to be included in just wanted to say thank you

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Can penthusiasts from other countries join too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize on forgetting about that. I'd like to limit participation to the U.S. Its hard, I know.

dmitch86
April 14th, 2016, 12:19 PM
I'll take a stab at it,
The two part puzzle:
Kubla Khan, By Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Third question:
Name the Ancient Greek hero who was held as a sex slave for almost 10 yr. - Odysseus

Forth:
Why was he tied to the mast of his ship, and his ears stuffed with wax? he did this to himself to keep from falling under the enchantment of the Sirenes

dmitch86
April 14th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Sorry, haha I was in such a hurry to try to get an answer in I forgot the most important part, thank you for this opportunity I think it is awesome this community does things like this!

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Good going dmitch86--I'm impressed! Go ahead and choose your pen, and inks and post it in this thread.

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Okay one question this time.

Who was the former Vice President who participated in the duel, that resulted in the death of Alexander Hamilton?

dmitch86
April 14th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Thanks! I choose the Metropolitan, along with the Montblanc Corn Poppy Red and J Herbin Rouge Hematite. I've been wanting to try some reds :)

newkid
April 14th, 2016, 03:49 PM

Who was the former Vice President who participated in the duel, that resulted in the death of Alexander Hamilton?

Aaron Burr

katherine
April 14th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Downsides to not being American... (Who is Alexander Hamilton?)

fqgouvea
April 14th, 2016, 05:30 PM

Good point! Hamilton is one of the "founding fathers", currently much in vogue because of a hit musical. He's the guy on the $10 bill.

Killed n a duel by vice-president Aaron Burr, a much less impressive person, but apparently a better shot!

katherine
April 14th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Ooooh. Good to know! I'm terrible at American history. :/

TSherbs
April 14th, 2016, 06:26 PM
I prefer this writer's Lyrical co-star, Bill.

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 07:39 PM

Aaron Burr

Good first post newkid! Post your choices.

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 07:45 PM

Good point! Hamilton is one of the "founding fathers", currently much in vogue because of a hit musical. He's the guy on the $10 bill.

Killed n a duel by vice-president Aaron Burr, a much less impressive person, but apparently a better shot!

There's a musical? (in my best Brooklyn accent) :O)

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Here's the third quest.

Tell us a bit about the sailing vessel Pequod, and its Captain. Who was its first mate, and what might have been his favorite morning beverage?

TSherbs
April 14th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Pequod (whaler)
Ahab the pegleg
Starbuck, who likes a latte with a dash of cinnamon and his name written on the cup
Queequeg smokes a scary pipe

and Ishmael hears a sermon before departing on the trip delivered in a sanctuary ribbed like a boat (or the belly of Jonah's whale)

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Pequod (whaler)
Ahab the pegleg
Starbuck, who likes a latte with a dash of cinnamon and his name written on the cup
Queequeg smokes a scary pipe

and Ishmael hears a sermon before departing on the trip delivered in a sanctuary ribbed like a boat (or the belly of Jonah's whale)

Excellent TSherbs! Its one of my favorite books of all time, next to the Odyssey.

You can post your choices once new kid posts his.

We'll wait bit on the last pen, till we catch up here.

bluesea
April 14th, 2016, 09:48 PM

I'm not American-proper, having been born in the former Territory of Hawaii. Otoh in post WWII--Japanese internment Hawaii, I was brought up and schooled as strongly American.

newkid
April 15th, 2016, 05:29 AM
I choose the Pilot Preppy and Montblanc Black and Irish Green. Thank you.

bluesea
April 15th, 2016, 02:38 PM
As we wait for TSherbs to make his choice, I'll start on the last pen, which will either be the Pilot Plumix or Kakuno ef.

This will be first-to-post.

Write about your favorite food. Include a recommendation for a nice dinner, in courses or ala carte if you wish.

TSherbs
April 15th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Just home now, sorry...Honestly, I just love the questions about books I know and am having fun...give the pens away to someone else!

Pengineer247
April 16th, 2016, 01:31 PM
As we wait for TSherbs to make his choice, I'll start on the last pen, which will either be the Pilot Plumix or Kakuno ef.

Write about your favorite food. Include a recommendation for a nice dinner, in courses or ala carte if you wish.

My favorite food is rice. Being Filipino and all, I'll take a simple plate of rice and adobo for the main course, then ube (taro) ice cream for dessert :)

Thank you for the opportunity for a new pen too!

snowbear
April 16th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Not really for the pen, but one of my favorite cuisines is Cajun. I like to make jambalaya using two kinds of meat or seafood - usually chicken and smoked sausage.
First, I'll brown the chicken and sausage, then saute some onions, garlic, bell peppers and celery. Once these are done, I add the meats and sauteed vegetables to a pot containing chicken stock. I'll toss in some chopped tomatoes then either beer or wine. Bring to boil, then let simmer on low heat to get all of the flavors together. Add some parsley, rosemary, oregano, salt and cayenne pepper. Finally, I'll add rice (long grain is best) and when cooked, serve with cornbread or biscuits.

VertOlive
April 16th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Fun thread bluesea!

bluesea
April 17th, 2016, 07:36 AM

My favorite food is rice. Being Filipino and all, I'll take a simple plate of rice and adobo for the main course, then ube (taro) ice cream for dessert :)

Thank you for the opportunity for a new pen too!

Great first post! Had some adobo last week, and I absolutely L*O*V*E properly cooked white rice. Lmk which pen and inks, and I'll get them out to. Be sure to PM your mailing address.

bluesea
April 17th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Not really for the pen, but one of my favorite cuisines is Cajun. I like to make jambalaya using two kinds of meat or seafood - usually chicken and smoked sausage.
First, I'll brown the chicken and sausage, then saute some onions, garlic, bell peppers and celery. Once these are done, I add the meats and sauteed vegetables to a pot containing chicken stock. I'll toss in some chopped tomatoes then either beer or wine. Bring to boil, then let simmer on low heat to get all of the flavors together. Add some parsley, rosemary, oregano, salt and cayenne pepper. Finally, I'll add rice (long grain is best) and when cooked, serve with cornbread or biscuits.

Thanks the great post snowbear. I love Cajun food!

katherine
April 17th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Now I'm hungry. *___*

And, I grew up in the Philippines, which doesn't cover much American history. Then managed to take only post WWII history when I ended up stateside for college. This renders me hilariously terrible at trivia sometimes! :D

Pengineer247
April 17th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Whoa! It's not everyday I meet people who know about both Adobo AND fountain pens! This is awesome!

Also, I'll take the Plumix, Iroshizuku Yama Budo and J Herbin Rogue Hematite. Thank you again!!

bluesea
April 17th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Here goes for the last item, the Pilot Kakuno ef, a pen I like quite a lot.

Name and discuss briefly a woman who you feel has had significant effect, on positive social change in the US in the last 50 years. This need not have to be the "most" significant or famous, or well known.

P.S. the first three items are packaged, stamped and ready to go.

snowbear
April 17th, 2016, 07:19 PM

dmitch86
April 22nd, 2016, 08:06 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/jp7swm.jpg

Thanks again!! I received the pen and ink yesterday, coincidentally with purple ink.

"A strong spirit transcends rules." - Prince

katherine
April 22nd, 2016, 12:27 PM
Ooh, that's a pretty purple!

bluesea
April 22nd, 2016, 09:59 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/jp7swm.jpg

Thanks again!! I received the pen and ink yesterday, coincidentally with purple ink.

"A strong spirit transcends rules." - Prince

Thanks much, Dustin-- I'm stoked you're stoked, lol. Mission accomplished! :smiles: That is none other than Namiki Purple, a great basic ink.

Excellent signature, btw.

Pengineer247
April 23rd, 2016, 01:50 PM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxyRlq45_usPTTd1S0l0bFpjaDQ

Mine arrived 2 days ago. I am loving it!! Thank you again!

bluesea
April 24th, 2016, 05:53 PM
The Pilot Kakuno will go out tomorrow to member Papamud, who I believe is having issues posting at the moment. And that brings to an end this PIF. Thanks!

Papamud
April 30th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I am really loving my Kakuno! Thanks for paying it forward to this total rookie fp user!