PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: New ink: Pelikan 4001 Dark Green

Chrissy
April 15th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Following my review for Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine, this is my review of another newly released Pelikan ink from the 4001 range: Pelikan Dark Green.

I find it a dark green with slight blue undertones. Certainly not a teal like Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine. More like the colour of Pine tree needles. It reminded me of Montblanc White Forest as soon as I wrote with it, and sure enough it is very similar to that very nice but no longer available 'Seasons greetings' ink. So if you have a hankering for Montblanc White Forest, then Pelikan Dark Green will make a good substitute for it.

I found this a slightly drier ink than the Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine, and it dried on my thick, smooth paper in about half of the time. However, it still flowed well enough in my pens to look quite a bit darker when I used broader nibs. It shows some shading and is saturated. It stained my fingers for a while, and that tends to be the case with these dark green/blue inks.

I forgot all about the water test so the ink was covered in water for about 20minutes. I can clearly see there are dark grey/black remains. So it has good water resistance.

I like dark blue-greens like this, so it gets a thumbs up from me. :thumb:

The Good Captain
April 16th, 2016, 01:36 AM
Good review as ever. I'll probably pick some up soon.

dam
April 16th, 2016, 06:17 AM
I've never enjoyed their Brilliant Green but this one seems very nice. I didn't even know it existed! Thanks for the review.

KKay
April 21st, 2016, 05:29 PM
Oh I really like this one. Thanks for the review!

Chrissy
April 21st, 2016, 09:30 PM
Good review as ever. I'll probably pick some up soon.

I've never enjoyed their Brilliant Green but this one seems very nice. I didn't even know it existed! Thanks for the review.

It's a new colour issued this year

Oh I really like this one. Thanks for the review!

Thanks and you're all welcome :)

fountainpagan
April 22nd, 2016, 12:32 PM
Thank you, Chrissy for this great review.
I have ordered it, already.😉

Chrissy
April 22nd, 2016, 02:48 PM

You're welcome, and I hope you like it when you see it. :)

inklord
April 22nd, 2016, 02:52 PM
Thanks for another very informative review! Do I see some pronounced outline in the 1.1 mm stub writing or is that just a 'trick of the screen'?

Chrissy
April 23rd, 2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks for another very informative review! Do I see some pronounced outline in the 1.1 mm stub writing or is that just a 'trick of the screen'?

You're welcome. :) I examined the actual sheet under a loupe and I can see some pronounced outline in the capital letters at the top right. For some reason, I didn't manage to fill that pen properly, and it started to run out on the third line up from the bottom of the page.

fountainpagan
April 23rd, 2016, 09:03 AM

You're welcome, and I hope you like it when you see it. :)

I think I will, Chrissy. I enjoy already Diamine Green Balck (great, even with an UEF nib)

Edit: but I will let you know.:)

Runnin_Ute
April 24th, 2016, 07:10 PM
I think this is one I will like. I have a pen inked nearly all the time with Diamine Sherwood Green.

lunar
April 25th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Thank you Chrissy for a great review.
Montblanc White Forest is an old favorite of mine. After reading your review I just had to order a bottle.

Chrissy
April 25th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Thank you Chrissy for a great review.
Montblanc White Forest is an old favorite of mine. After reading your review I just had to order a bottle.

Welcome to FPG. :) You're welcome and I hope you like the Pelikan Dark Green.

lunar
May 4th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Thank you, Chrissy. I really like this one. :)

anaximander
May 7th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Based on your excellent review, I ordered a bottle of this and couldn't be happier! I've had it loaded in my vintage Pelikan 120 and it works great. Also, not a bad match for the color of the pen. I'm very happy that Pelikan is adding to their 4001 line of inks.

Chrissy
May 7th, 2016, 12:52 AM
Based on your excellent review, I ordered a bottle of this and couldn't be happier! I've had it loaded in my vintage Pelikan 120 and it works great. Also, not a bad match for the color of the pen. I'm very happy that Pelikan is adding to their 4001 line of inks.

I'm pleased that you like it. :)

ac12
April 18th, 2017, 01:51 PM
I recently loaded it into my Parker Vacumatic, and I LIKE IT :applause:
It took a little while for the ink to get flowing, then a nice medium dark green. It does have a bit of a blueish tone to it, but it isn't like a blue-green, it is still GREEN. I like it better than the Brilliant Green, or maybe my old eyes just prefers less bright colors.
I think it will be one of the greens that will be in rotation more, if not permanently inking a pen.
I think I need to get another bottle or two.

Chrissy
April 18th, 2017, 03:00 PM
I recently loaded it into my Parker Vacumatic, and I LIKE IT :applause:
It took a little while for the ink to get flowing, then a nice medium dark green. It does have a bit of a blueish tone to it, but it isn't like a blue-green, it is still GREEN. I like it better than the Brilliant Green, or maybe my old eyes just prefers less bright colors.
I think it will be one of the greens that will be in rotation more, if not permanently inking a pen.
I think I need to get another bottle or two.
Yes it's definitely different to Brilliant Green. Much darker. I have a bottle of Brilliant Green that I never use.
I'm glad that you like it. :)

ac12
June 22nd, 2017, 09:04 PM
The more I use it, the more I like it :)

titrisol
June 27th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Brilliant green was a nice surprise for me, my kids love it, it is fun to use very well behaved and works great in congratulation cards and even to take quick notes but it can be distracting from the content
I will definitely try this one whenever I see it incartridges next time.

Thanks for the great review

KKay
September 26th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Chrissy, I finally got a chance to try this ink. I really like it. So far I've only put it in one pen. There is a good chance this one is going on my wish list.

Chrissy
October 17th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Chrissy, I finally got a chance to try this ink. I really like it. So far I've only put it in one pen. There is a good chance this one is going on my wish list.

Good news. :) I'm glad that you like it.

Pterodactylus
March 1st, 2020, 07:55 AM
I also like this ink.

It shades good and behaves very well.
The dry time is short and and it has some water resistance.

Some samples of Pelikan Dark Green:

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/259fb5e6-8a21-42f5-a528-43fbc5b86e8d/ddrida0-bd4e8951-6987-4a5e-b02c-39cabd91bb67.jpg/v1/fill/w_1012,h_790,q_70,strp/quote_sokrates_by_ptero_pterodactylus_ddrida0-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9 .eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZ DQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTg yMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7Imhla WdodCI6Ijw9MTk4MCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzI1OWZiNWU2LTh hMjEtNDJmNS1hNTI4LTQzZmJjNWI4NmU4ZFwvZGRyaWRhMC1iZ DRlODk1MS02OTg3LTRhNWUtYjAyYy0zOWNhYmQ5MWJiNjcuanB nIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTI1MzgifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlc nZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.cOM5XhSLOD5PTUIN uPK9Ctd6w7UhE47Xf-97L8PdX0A (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Quote-Sokrates-832266936)
Quote Sokrates by https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Quote Sokrates-832266936) on @DeviantArt by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus) on DeviantArt

(Waterman 16 ..... Pelikan 4001 Dark Green)

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/259fb5e6-8a21-42f5-a528-43fbc5b86e8d/ddrid9n-45185075-89fa-4740-a10c-4c3263238762.jpg/v1/fill/w_771,h_1036,q_70,strp/leg_study_by_ptero_pterodactylus_ddrid9n-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9 .eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZ DQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTg yMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7Imhla WdodCI6Ijw9MjY2MSIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzI1OWZiNWU2LTh hMjEtNDJmNS1hNTI4LTQzZmJjNWI4NmU4ZFwvZGRyaWQ5bi00N TE4NTA3NS04OWZhLTQ3NDAtYTEwYy00YzMyNjMyMzg3NjIuanB nIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTE5ODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlc nZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.huvOTAMmkH1P8T_l friVaIVLUp9omk07NuLtVG0o4l4 (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Leg-Study-832266923)
Leg Study by https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Leg-Study-832266923) on @DeviantArt by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus) on DeviantArt

(Waterman 16 ..... Pelikan 4001 Dark Green, Brush)

TSherbs
March 1st, 2020, 02:01 PM
Even the contours of a leg can't get me to like this color/shade.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Pterodactylus
March 1st, 2020, 02:54 PM
Even the contours of a leg can't get me to like this color/shade.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Tastes and preferences are luckily very different. :thumb:

Chrissy
March 2nd, 2020, 12:11 AM
It looks much darker when written with than it does when sketched with.

BoBo Olson
October 18th, 2021, 09:23 AM
Yes it does resemble MB Winter Forest.

How ever had I wanted Diamine Sherwood Green, I could have bought it. Does Diamine Sherwood Green shade?

I found no shading in this dull 4001 green ink. I gave the noobie upstairs R&K Verdura, so can't get rid of this bottle of dull ink that way.

Luckily R&K Verdura is available.
MB Irish Green priced it's self out of the green-green ink market for me.

In doing a paper test that I dithered for a few years because of the $$$ of it. I had at least 10 green-greenish inks on those papers.
In the Green-Green inks, R&K finished a nose in front of suddenly too expensive MB Irish and a neck in front of the discontinued 4001 Brilliant Green.

I have empty Pelikan 4001 ink bottles.....MB shoes and an antique ink bottle. And a bottle of ink I'll never use.
I have 19 green-greenish inks that I like and one I don't count.........'It just Lays there LeRoy!"** Dull....duller.....dullest.

**A Quaker Oats commercial from the '50s, vs Rice Krispy's snap, crackle and pop.