PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan guy, looking to get my first MB

sconny
April 16th, 2016, 06:46 AM
I seek your help, friends.

I generally like writing with the M800 style pen as far as size and weight. Based on that sizing, I am wondering what I shoudl be looking at?

I believe the 149 will be too large for me, but does the 146 match up as a similar size? or should I be looking at a different model altogether.

Also - as far as nibs go, what should I be looking for in the nib? I tend to enjoy CI grinds on M-BB nibs. If unground, I tend to like a Japanese M, or a western EF-F. I prefer a bit of flex, do not need a ton but I tend to write with pressure and do not like a nail.

jar
April 16th, 2016, 06:50 AM
The 146 and 147 are about the same size as the M800 but MBs are likely not the best choice if you write with pressure.

sconny
April 16th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Interesting, why is that - too soft? Springy nibs?

jar
April 16th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Interesting, why is that - too soft? Springy nibs?

Pressure should be limited to writing with ball points.

stub
April 16th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Your run of the mill 146 isn't any more or less nail-like than an M800. I have both. Neither seems noticeably softer than the other.

If you are looking for springy nibs the M800 and the 146 won't do better than a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with the SF/SFM/SM nib, in fact it will do a lot worse and cost you much more.

912 is just a tad below the PFM/M800/146/OS Balance size pen. It is not oversize but not thin either.

The 912 won't turn heads in the boardroom (not that I know anything about that) but for what you describe is a much better option.

Quantum Sailor
April 16th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I have a 146 F that I am pretty happy with. I have an m800 EF that writes larger than a Japanese B so I'm not really happy with that one. The two pens are similar sizes though I find the 146 a more comfortable pen.

Personally if you're looking to spend that much I would suggest a Pilot Custom 845. It's a similar size, the nib is a bit more springy.

Between those three pens and the 845 gets inked far more than the other two. The 823 is a great option as well if you're looking for a non converter pen. The 912 as mentioned above is also a great pen.

Either way good luck in your hunt.

Wrathen
May 5th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I have a 146 F that I am pretty happy with. I have an m800 EF that writes larger than a Japanese B so I'm not really happy with that one. The two pens are similar sizes though I find the 146 a more comfortable pen.

Personally if you're looking to spend that much I would suggest a Pilot Custom 845. It's a similar size, the nib is a bit more springy.

Between those three pens and the 845 gets inked far more than the other two. The 823 is a great option as well if you're looking for a non converter pen. The 912 as mentioned above is also a great pen.

to derail a bit: the only thing I dont like about my 823 is the fact they dont have a square topped version... OR if they had a 912 demonstrator... I keep looking at the 845 but ... if I'm going to spend that much I think I would buy a Conid first.

To get back on track: I have thought about getting a MB146 as well, but never really looked into it. Do they have a Rhodium trim option over yellow gold? I saw somewhere someone mention le grand models ... whats that?

jar
May 5th, 2016, 03:43 PM

to derail a bit: the only thing I dont like about my 823 is the fact they dont have a square topped version... OR if they had a 912 demonstrator... I keep looking at the 845 but ... if I'm going to spend that much I think I would buy a Conid first.

To get back on track: I have thought about getting a MB146 as well, but never really looked into it. Do they have a Rhodium trim option over yellow gold? I saw somewhere someone mention le grand models ... whats that?

Legrand is an alternate name for the 146 while Traveler is the alternate name for the 147. Both are available in Platinum trim format but neither in Rhodium.

Wrathen
May 5th, 2016, 03:45 PM

Legrand is an alternate name for the 146 while Traveler is the alternate name for the 147. Both are available in Platinum trim format but neither in Rhodium.

ahhh ok good to know so what I would want is the MB legrand with Platinum trim... Thank you very much

Quantum Sailor
May 5th, 2016, 07:51 PM
If you're looking for an 845 I would suggest looking direct from Japan. If you search carefully you can find one sub $300 which is how I got a hold of mine. They are definitely excellent pens.