PDA

View Full Version : TWSBI Vac700 and mini stubs are here!

gwgtaylor
December 28th, 2012, 02:39 AM
A few hours ago TWSBI announced the immediate availability of 1.1 and 1.5 stub nib units for the Vac 700 as well as diamond mini. They are available fitted on all new pens or as separate nib units.

Any thoughts? Early adopters?

I picked up one of the last clear 540s with a 1.5. It's a wonderful writer. I'm thinking it might be time to pull the trigger on a clear Vac 700 with a 1.1mm stub? I have a fine nibbed saphire vac as it is.

Might have to wait until after my wallet recovers from Christmas.

-gerald

fountainpenkid
December 28th, 2012, 06:40 AM
If I ever figure out the deal with my mini, then I'll certainly get the 1.5 stub as an intro to stub nibs...

The Follows
December 28th, 2012, 08:50 AM
You can use the 540 stub on the mini if you use the nib and feed only. The sections aren't the same size, but the insides will swap. I used my 540 1.1 stub in my mini while waiting for a replacement nib. It wrote as expect and helped get Christmas cards in the mail.

KrazyIvan
December 28th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I have contemplated the V700 if only for the unique filling system. I mulled it over and it just holds too much ink. I would probably never get through a fill because I would want to change the ink out and waste ink in the process.

I am happy with my cartridge converter pens and even more so with the mini converter pens I recently acquired. I use up the ink in a 4-5 days and that seems perfect for me.

My ultimate TWSBI would be a mini vac fill with a 1.1 mm stub. The smaller ink capacity in combination with a nib that drinks ink should use up ink fast enough to keep me interested.

fountainpenkid
December 28th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I have contemplated the V700 if only for the unique filling system. I mulled it over and it just holds too much ink. I would probably never get through a fill because I would want to change the ink out and waste ink in the process.

I am happy with my cartridge converter pens and even more so with the mini converter pens I recently acquired. I use up the ink in a 4-5 days and that seems perfect for me.

My ultimate TWSBI would be a mini vac fill with a 1.1 mm stub. The smaller ink capacity in combination with a nib that drinks ink should use up ink fast enough to keep me interested.
Why not just put the unused ink back in the bottle?

KrazyIvan
December 28th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Why not just put the unused ink back in the bottle?

I never do that to minimize risk of cross contamination.

fountainpenkid
December 28th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I never do that to minimize risk of cross contamination.

O.K. Do you use some inks that are hard to flush completely?

KrazyIvan
December 28th, 2012, 04:45 PM
O.K. Do you use some inks that are hard to flush completely?

In Cartridge converter pens and certain piston fillers, yes.

fountainpenkid
December 28th, 2012, 06:27 PM
In Cartridge converter pens and certain piston fillers, yes.

O.K. Then you have your reasons.

Jon Szanto
December 28th, 2012, 11:05 PM
O.K. Then you have your reasons.
The problem isn't just residue that would be in sufficient amount to alter the color of an ink when mixed back in a bottle. The problem would be residue of some small, undetectable amount that would cause contamination to an ink bottle - most often fungal growth - that would cause the entire bottle to have to be tossed out. And if any of that ink had been placed in pens, they would be a bit of a bitch to decontaminate, as well. Certainly not a common occurrence, but a hygiene well worth the few pennies of ink you'll have to dump if you don't use up the pen.

I've got one other way: I've got three small bottles labled Black, Blue, and Red. Any ink in that general category that hasn't been fully used, or a mix I did that wasn't exactly what I wanted, go into the appropriate bottle. These are inks that get used for beater pens, pens to loan to students, etc. Kind of like the bottles of red wine that are just all the stuff that is left over. In fact, I've named them Big Red, Big Blue, and Big Black. They subtly change as the days go by...

fountainpenkid
December 29th, 2012, 07:01 AM
The problem isn't just residue that would be in sufficient amount to alter the color of an ink when mixed back in a bottle. The problem would be residue of some small, undetectable amount that would cause contamination to an ink bottle - most often fungal growth - that would cause the entire bottle to have to be tossed out. And if any of that ink had been placed in pens, they would be a bit of a bitch to decontaminate, as well. Certainly not a common occurrence, but a hygiene well worth the few pennies of ink you'll have to dump if you don't use up the pen.

I've got one other way: I've got three small bottles labled Black, Blue, and Red. Any ink in that general category that hasn't been fully used, or a mix I did that wasn't exactly what I wanted, go into the appropriate bottle. These are inks that get used for beater pens, pens to loan to students, etc. Kind of like the bottles of red wine that are just all the stuff that is left over. In fact, I've named them Big Red, Big Blue, and Big Black. They subtly change as the days go by...
Wait...I empty ink back all the time (mind you I use piston fillers only, and flush them for quite some time). So I may have some bacteria growing?? It is that prevalent? Oh god...

inky
December 29th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Wait...I empty ink back all the time (mind you I use piston fillers only, and flush them for quite some time). So I may have some bacteria growing?? It is that prevalent? Oh god...

I'm not sure how prevalent it is but prefer to not take a chance anymore. I used to empty ink back into their original bottles but stopped when I did a little experiment. One day I had an empty sample vial and emptied a Kaweco cartridge into it. A few days later I checked the sample vial and sure enough, it had a big white mold clump on top of the ink. In a few days the rest of the sample vial was very thick with the fungal contamination. That was enough for me to quit emptying pens back into bottles. Now if I have a lot of ink in a pen I want to change colors in, I just empty into a vial or toss the ink out. Wasteful maybe but better a few ounces of ink then a whole bottle get wasted.