PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Oversized AF Duofold

stub
April 18th, 2016, 02:09 AM
So... it turns out that the Maxima is actually not the largest of the European Duofolds

:noidea:

Generally the Maxima is larger than the Senior (although they are the same girth, the Maxima is longer and has a larger nib, which is why a Maxima cap will fit on a Senior but not vice versa) and larger than the Standard aerometric and the AF and NS button filler Duofolds which came before the squeezies.

& AF fillers came in only one standard size.

OR did they ..... ?

That is a UK Aerometric Maxima in Green. A UK Aerometric Senior in Blue and the black pen is an AF Denmark Duofold that is fatter than than the Maxima. Look at how much larger the cap is. The cap from the AF swallows the Maxima section up. It is shorter (Maxima is actually quite a long pen).... but look at the size.

How large is it? It is OS Balance/M80x/PFM/146 size.

Look at the second picture with a garden variety 90s MB 146.

The cap on the 146 and the (i'll call it for lack of a name) OS AF filler are almost interchangeable.

I never heard of this pen. Totally a mystery to me, but here it sits on my table. There was, in fact, an Oversized AF filler, Denmark only, as far as I can tell.

Who knew?

More odd... googling shows that this mystery OS pen usually did not have this nib on it.

stub
April 18th, 2016, 02:10 AM
I sharpened the pictures harshly so they look nasty showing all the dust and waterspots. Not so in meatspace.

stub
April 18th, 2016, 02:18 AM
Usually there is the little Denmark symbol on the nib. This one just says Parker 14Ct. on it.

stub
April 18th, 2016, 02:20 AM
The tines are horribly misaligned and there is a foot worn into the tip at an angle that is awkward to me.

but the pen is amazeballs otherwise.

stub
April 18th, 2016, 02:49 AM
My OS Balance and this pen can swap caps.

It looks ugly and I don't know if the threads are the precisely the same but I could gently thread both caps on and they fit perfectly.

This pen is almost the same size as the Sheaffer OS balance.

stub
April 18th, 2016, 04:14 AM
SHUT UP NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR FOCKING PEN

Chrissy
April 18th, 2016, 05:09 AM
I care, but sadly know little about Parker Duofolds. :)

For what it's worth I remember buying a Waterman pen that had a nib that looked like exactly that last year. I couldn't write with it at all, and had to grind down the other tine to the same level. It was still not a very good writer, but fortunately I was able to replace it with a different nib.

Life is too short to try and write with nibs that are just wrong for your hand. :)

stub
April 18th, 2016, 05:20 AM
The nib is pretty rubbery and the pen is nicely wet but the iridium is badly worn to a flat foot, but maybe down the road I'll get it re-tipped.
The nib is so flat at the place it hits the paper that it sings a little.

Still, as one of those pen dorks who thinks the OS balance is all that and a bag of chips, I am pretty stoked to see there was a Eurofold that was the same size, but this lovely creature from Denmark's nib is too messed up to dethrone the Green Maxima, which has not left my work jacket since getting it (even though it is too tall and sticks up out of my pocket)

R.A. Stewart
April 18th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Ha, I have a Green Maxima too, and it lives in my shirt pocket at work and sticks up because it's so tall! So now when I buy a new work shirt I'll look for a deep pocket. :) Loves, loves, luuuuuvs me my big fat Maxima.

~Rich