PDA

View Full Version : Hero 100 Stainless Steel repair

StWm
April 18th, 2016, 06:47 AM
It leaks ink around the threads - which I hear is a somewhat common problem?
I know it is close to but not exactly like a 51...
I hear it may be left-handed threaded?

How on earth do I get it apart? I have looked for guides or videos on this pen. Searched this forum also. Any pointers appreciated.

I've already cracked the hood trying..... (heartbroken).
I soaked it in hot water for a while before trying - my next attempt will be a hair dryer.
In for a penny, in for a pound - I've already broken it worse.

I'll have to look for a suitably-fitting replacement hood...

Or, if anyone can find the information to send it to Hero for a factory repair (This one is guaranteed?) I'd be interested.

Sailor Kenshin
April 18th, 2016, 09:10 AM
It leaks ink around the threads - which I hear is a somewhat common problem?
I know it is close to but not exactly like a 51...
I hear it may be left-handed threaded?

How on earth do I get it apart? I have looked for guides or videos on this pen. Searched this forum also. Any pointers appreciated.

I've already cracked the hood trying..... (heartbroken).
I soaked it in hot water for a while before trying - my next attempt will be a hair dryer.
In for a penny, in for a pound - I've already broken it worse.

I'll have to look for a suitably-fitting replacement hood...

Or, if anyone can find the information to send it to Hero for a factory repair (This one is guaranteed?) I'd be interested.

Ouch. Two words: parts box. (As in, start keeping one).

Would any of the less expensive Hero hoods fit? Such as from the 616, 330, 329, etc? I have a couple of vintage 616s which un-thread themselves right out of the hood every now and then. Finding a replacement might be a quick 'n' cheap solution, and someone here may have a spare.

StWm
April 18th, 2016, 11:25 AM
I tried swapping out the pen unit with the body of a 330 but it wouldn't fit. (and the 330 works!)

I'm hoping an eBay 616 hood will fit - I need to increase my Hero count around here. I think a 10 pack of 616's may be in my future for keepsies, repair/tuning, and giveaways.

Sailor Kenshin
April 18th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I tried swapping out the pen unit with the body of a 330 but it wouldn't fit. (and the 330 works!)

I'm hoping an eBay 616 hood will fit - I need to increase my Hero count around here. I think a 10 pack of 616's may be in my future for keepsies, repair/tuning, and giveaways.

The Hero 616 'Jumbo' and the regular one have different dimensions. Can you measure the length and diameter (where it threads) of the 100 hood? Then I can check if my Jumbos or Regulars come close.

StWm
April 18th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Happy to. I will bust out a ruler and calipers and get some dimensions.

Shame that their flagship pen (I think it was $15 or $20 10 or 20 years ago Dad said - they seem like $25-40 now) is so rage inducing / poorly documented!
C'est la vie?!

I think the word on the street is that they are prone to leak due to hood or collector? cracking..

I couldn't really diagnose the source of the slow leak out of and into the body... it seemed like it was at the thread area into the body or onto the threads.

Apparently this happens when they forget to seal it?

If this is the case, it shouldn't be so hard to get the hood off!

There are some teeth/protrusions? under the hood (I'm told) to keep it from coming off if it is not glued or greased... These cause stress risers and cracking.

I am inferring that they exist by the crack that I noticed after me wrenching on the hood for a couple minutes...that I never noticed before..

I can't wiggle the squeeze bulb cage off either like I can on the 330..

I wish I could find documentation or a manual. This would be a very cool pen! Why oh why did I hulkishly break the hood....

zchen
April 18th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Hero 100 need a specialized tool to disassemble at a certain stage. You were not meant to unscrew the hood, but rather the step is remove the left hand threaded connector nut holding the sac protector, remove the sac protector, then insert the tool in to unscrew the nib/feed/collector assembly.

Link to a Chinese site with pictures.
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_62b221ce0101bnz1.html

StWm
April 18th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Hood is 42mm long. 11mm diameter.

StWm
April 18th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Thank you so much zchen! I am confused at this point, hopefully this will help!
Thank you thank you thank you!

edit: got it apart! if I hadn't cracked the hood trying to get it apart, it would probably be perfect. I think the leak is in the threading of the sac protector. I may try some teflon tape on there.

StWm
April 18th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Just broke a 329 trying to get it apart to take the hood for this! The nib is twisted around :) Break three pens...fix two....learning!

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of pens"

Sailor Kenshin
April 19th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Uhmmm...I took measurements in inches. Hero 616: 1.44 inches long, 0.425 inches thick.

A black hood on a different model Hero is 1.725 inches long, 0.415 inches thick.

These hooded-nib Heroes do not normally 'unscrew' themselves, but in my case, when they have, I just threaded the hood back on and HOPED the nib ended up in roughly the same place.

PS: Just remembered that when I went to a pen show, someone had bags of shells/hoods that would fit P51s. I'm sure you can obtain a proper shell from somewhere...just might take time. Hope ANY of this helps!

StWm
April 20th, 2016, 07:05 PM
I know it'll all work out - eventually. It may be that I end up sending a sad plastic bag full of pen parts to Shanghai someday.