PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer 305 pick up

edteach
April 20th, 2016, 03:50 PM
New to the FP collecting and ran across this at an estate sale. I live in Gods Waitingroom [Florida] Got it for nothing. Its in good condition with no damage. It unscrews and there is a plastic disposable tube empty. Nib seems to be stainless not gold. I ran across what looks like a replacement that is a vacuum type tube that will refill. Any help in where to buy one. Thanks. The photo I posted is not the one I bought but one I found on line that is the exact same type and color of the one I acquired. Thanks.

distracted_mom
April 20th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Are you looking for a converter so that you can use bottled ink? Or are you just looking for any way to ink it up?

edteach
April 20th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Are you looking for a converter so that you can use bottled ink? Or are you just looking for any way to ink it up? I don't know if I want to convert it, but if you have a link to what I would need. I was thinking of buying a tube of ink.

dam
April 20th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Are you looking for a converter so that you can use bottled ink? Or are you just looking for any way to ink it up? I don't know if I want to convert it, but if you have a link to what I would need. I was thinking of buying a tube of ink.

The vacuum type tube you mention is the converter. You insert it into the section in place of the empty cartridge, stick the nib in a bottle of ink and work the converter's piston to draw up ink and you are good to go. Or you can just buy a pack of cartridges . Sheaffer have their own proprietary cartridges and converters. You should be able to find them online in just about any pen store. Peyton Street Pens, or Goulet Pens for instance.

distracted_mom
April 20th, 2016, 10:06 PM
You can probably walk into any craft store and find Sheaffer cartridges in their calligraphy section. Cartridges are convenient and cheap, so you can see how you feel about it before diving into ink bottles.

mrcharlie
April 21st, 2016, 10:34 PM
"305" is not a model name for the pen; it indicates that you have a M or Medium nib. 304 is a F or Fine. I don't know what this model of Sheaffer Cartridge Pen was/is called. It was a step up from the more common version that has a stainless cap instead of the body colored plastic cap of your pen.

Before use, unscrew the nib/section unit and hold it under running water, streaming both onto the nib/feed and into the feed tube on the back, until water runs clear. Then let it soak in water in a cup for an hour or so, and repeat. Repeat until soaking does not color the water. Then shake the excess water off/out and let it air dry for a half day or so.

Current Sheaffer ink cartridges will work with this pen, as has been said. But the current production Sheaffer converters (ie screw/piston type) will not work with this pen. Older Sheaffer squeeze-type converters will fit inside the barrel, but are harder to find and cost more than they are worth (IMHO). You can refill used Sheaffer cartridges using a blunt needle syringe, which some people hate doing but others (including me) find to be quick and easy.

With Sheaffer cartridges, you just drop them into the barrel and screw the section back in; doing that will cause the feed post to be inserted into the cartridge while opening it.

You can also use "International Standard" cartridges in this pen if you can find those in a store near you but can't find Sheaffer cartridges. Standard carts are sealed with a little plastic ball, and there is a thin "lip" or gap around that ball. You want to place the piercing tube point/end directly on the ball, not in the lip, and then just shove it into the cartridge. Once the cartridge is hanging off the feed tube, screw the section back into the barrel. The "Standard" cartridges are not "supported" from falling off the feed tube in the way Sheaffer cartridges are, but in my experience I've never had one fall off. They are not designed to be supported in the vast majority of pens that are made for standard carts anyway.

mrcharlie
April 21st, 2016, 10:44 PM
Oh, and never put the cap back on the body when the nib/section unit is unscrewed from the body. The metal "friction ring" is held onto the body by the section, and if you cap the pen without the section installed the friction ring will probably pull off the body and stay wedged in the cap. Then you need to fashion a little hook using a paper clip pull the friction ring back out of the cap, which is no fun.

I say "probably" only because the first few years of production had the friction ring crimped onto the body and somewhat difficult to pull off, and there is a good chance your pen is like that. On all the similar pens made from about 1960 through the late 1990s the friction ring will pull off easily and get stuck in the cap when the section is not installed prior to capping the body.

The friction ring is called a friction ring because it is friction between this ring and the inside of the cap that holds the slip cap in place when the pen is capped. So if nothing is clamping this ring to the body, the ring will stay in the cap, and not on the body.

Hopefully I have described that in a way that makes sense to someone who doesn't already know what I mean. :)

edteach
April 22nd, 2016, 05:35 AM
Thanks. I bought the replacement ink cart. at Michael's, I put one in and it worked great. The friction ring I deduced out when I got it. it is on the body of the pen and works great. I know its not a top end pen but it works and I can use it for my daily beater.