PDA

View Full Version : Pilot custom 74 or tuned TWSBI Micarta

MrClockWork
December 30th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I am looking at getting my first gold nib pen and these are the two pens that have caught my eye. I know of the issues with the micarta so I would get it from a place that can tune it first if I decided on at one. I am partial to the F/EF nibs. I am looking for insight and/or suggestions. ~$100 is my price point. Thoughts?

wayne.robinson
December 30th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Sadly, the Micarta doesn't have a gold nib.

wayne.robinson
December 30th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I love all the gold Pilot nibs I own. They've all been buttery smooth and springy straight from the box.

iosepus
January 1st, 2013, 07:27 AM
Should your choice of Twsbi be a Mini or a 540 or a VacFill 700 I would have had many doubts. But the Micarta is way too expensive for what it offers.
My choice is therefore clear--a Custom 74. And you have 11 nibs to choose among! Get a SFM or a MS (music)...

Cheers,

Iosepus (estilofilos.blogspot.com)

writingrav
January 1st, 2013, 09:48 AM
Should your choice of Twsbi be a Mini or a 540 or a VacFill 700 I would have had many doubts. But the Micarta is way too expensive for what it offers.
My choice is therefore clear--a Custom 74. And you have 11 nibs to choose among! Get a SFM or a MS (music)...

Cheers,

Iosepus (estilofilos.blogspot.com)
I don't think you're going to find a custom 74 for $100, but it is a great pen. On the other hand, despite all comments to the contrary, I love my Micarta. Granted it doesn't have the gold nib you are looking for and the Custom does and I don't blame you for wanting one, though the difference is minimal, but I happen to love it. It feels different from any other pen out there, extremely comfortable and particularly good for long writing sessions or warm weather: no sweating hands. Good luck.

fountainpenkid
January 1st, 2013, 11:57 AM
I am looking at getting my first gold nib pen and these are the two pens that have caught my eye. I know of the issues with the micarta so I would get it from a place that can tune it first if I decided on at one. I am partial to the F/EF nibs. I am looking for insight and/or suggestions. ~$100 is my price point. Thoughts?

You MIGHT be able to get a used Pilot custom 74 on FPN for around $120...some people there are really more interested in finding their pens good homes than making money. I don't know what kind of styles you like, but I think vintage is often your best bet. The 1st Gen Parker Vacumatics are really some incredible pens: reliable, hold lots of ink, great looks, comfortable (unless you thinkyou need some behemoth (most of the time that isn't true...I use a OMAS Paragon and a Parker Slender Vac back and forth (the vac is under 5'' capped and is slim) and have no problem using the tiny pen)). If you like the vacumatic's looks, look for a unrestored 3-ringed model on ebay (might find one for around $70-80 for a standard or slender model) and send it to Danny Fudge (GREAT restorations for a mere $20 (and he's a nice guy)). You will be very pleased.

KrazyIvan
January 2nd, 2013, 03:05 PM
I have both and I like my 74 with SU nib a lot more but that is not comparing oranges to oranges.

fountainpenkid
January 2nd, 2013, 04:01 PM
I have both and I like my 74 with SU nib a lot more but that is not comparing oranges to oranges.

You're right on that one...I don't know if you can compare the two pens. They are completely different in almost every way. Which one is larger?

KrazyIvan
January 2nd, 2013, 09:17 PM
You're right on that one...I don't know if you can compare the two pens. They are completely different in almost every way. Which one is larger?

The 74 is longer but the Micarta has more girth.

fountainpenkid
January 3rd, 2013, 02:57 PM
The 74 is longer but the Micarta has more girth.
Thanks! Because of the Goulet's new pen comparison tool, I now know the full deal!

KrazyIvan
January 3rd, 2013, 04:09 PM
And I need to correct my statement but I think it still holds true. I Have the Pilot Custom 742 and the Micarta.