PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Marigold (from the Flowers Gift Set)

Chrissy
April 23rd, 2016, 09:28 AM
I decided to review Diamine Marigold from the Flowers Gift Set, because it was the only one I had left to review out of the set. Before I continue I need to say that my scanner can't seem to accurately capture the shining brightness of a yellowish orange like this. So the ink is quite a bit brighter than the picture shows. Think slightly more retina searing. :)

On the Diamine web-site, they only have small swab stripes showing the colours of the Flower Gift Set so I found it difficult to decide if this was going to be a straight forward yellow when I saw it on there. However, it isn't. It's a bright yellowish orange. A really good match for the colour of Marigolds.

This ink was really nice to write with, maybe a little dryer than some of the other inks in the Flowers Gift set. That would tend to be the case for orange inks. It flowed well in the pens I filled with it, and I experienced no problems with it at all. It is a bright yellowish orange that is easy to read on paper, even when using a fine nib. It really livens up in a broader nib though. I compared it with a few yellowish orange inks that I have, and was pleased to see that the closest match to it was Sailor Jentle Apricot. If any Sailor Jentle Apricot users have tried Marigold as an alternative, I would be interested to learn what you thought, even though I suspect you might all say that Apricot is superior. :)

It flows well and lubricates the nib well. I saw no skips or hard starts despite leaving the pen uncapped while I did all of the swab tests.
I don't use yellow/orange inks very often, but this one came as a nice surprise.
Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny, smooth surface, and I used a Lamy F nib plus a Lamy 1.1mm nib, this ink took 16-18 secs to dry. That's about the average for this paper.
This isn't a waterproof ink, and it doesn't offer much water resistance. The water was only on the grid for about 30 seconds.
It is currently available in 30ml glass bottles as one of the Flowers Gift set or 30ml plastic refill bottles
Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/detail.aspx?prodcode=902) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

fountainpagan
April 23rd, 2016, 09:38 AM
Thank you Chrissy, again.

Nice yellowish orange. It reminds me a little Montblanc's Ink of Joy.

Chrissy
April 23rd, 2016, 10:02 AM
Thank you Chrissy, again.

Nice yellowish orange. It reminds me a little Montblanc's Ink of Joy.

You are welcome. :) Once upon a time I had Mb Ink of Joy. My memory isn't perfect, but I remember it as being more orange than Marigold. That similarity might be because of the accuracy of my scan.

I also used to have Mb Gandhi, and I would say that Marigold has a little of that same 'retina searing' quality, but not as much as Gandhi has. Gandhi is also more orange than Marigold.

fountainpagan
April 23rd, 2016, 10:51 AM
I'll send you a sample of Ink of Joy, along with the new bottle, for your memory's sakehttps://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Cligne/b_wink.gif

Thank you for the extra information. Yes, it must be the scan.

Chrissy
April 23rd, 2016, 03:10 PM
I'll send you a sample of Ink of Joy, along with the new bottle, for your memory's sakehttps://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Cligne/b_wink.gif

Thank you for the extra information. Yes, it must be the scan.

Thank you. :thumb: That's incredibly kind of you. :) Anyone would think it was my birthday. Oh I almost forgot. :facepalm: On Tuesday it is! :bounce: :bounce:

Lady Onogaro
April 23rd, 2016, 04:18 PM
Happy Birthday (to come), Chrissy, and thank you for the review. It's a very pretty ink.

fountainpagan
April 24th, 2016, 10:45 AM
You are welcome.

Happy Birthday to come:)

Crazyorange
April 25th, 2016, 05:21 AM
Happy birthday.