PDA

View Full Version : Monotone Lifetime Nibs on Striped Balances

popcod
April 25th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I'm considering a section/nib swap between two OS Balances (one of which is going to be sold), but I'd only want to do it if the pens were originally outfitted with the nibs to be swapped. The first is a monotone Lifetime nib in an OS Balance (Marine Green) with the 2nd generation humped clip that Richard Binder dates to 1930 or 1931. The second is a two-tone Lifetime nib from an OS striped Balance with the typical "radius" clip (1935/6 and later).

Does anyone know whether Sheaffer ever equipped the striped OS balances with monotone lifetime nibs from the factory, or the 30/31 Balances with two-tone nibs? I suspect not, but just wanted to be sure.

mhosea
April 25th, 2016, 01:33 PM
You might find this page (http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2992-sheaffer-balance-comprehensive-timeline-heeeelllp/) interesting.

But if anybody knows, Daniel Kirchheimer or David Isaacson do. I'm not sure, but I've heard if you say one of their names three times, they just might show up. ;)

popcod
April 25th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Ah – that's very helpful Mike, thank you. Based on both Isaacson's timeline in that thread and a link to PeteWK's history posted there, it appears that Sheaffer introduced the two-tone nib in 1931, which could make it appropriate for my OS Marine Green with the 1931/2 rounded-top humped clip.

That leaves the question as to whether the monotone nib is a fit for the later pen. Can anyone say whether Sheaffer continued to manufacture monotone Lifetime nibs into the mid 30s and installed them into the striped OS Balances?

stub
April 25th, 2016, 08:05 PM
But if anybody knows, Daniel Kirchheimer or David Isaacson do. I'm not sure, but I've heard if you say one of their names three times, they just might show up. ;)

Just make a spelling mistake a Daniel Kirchheimer will show up to correct it.

Neo
April 26th, 2016, 01:45 PM

Just make a spelling mistake a Daniel Kirchheimer will show up to correct it.

Are ewe sure?

stub
April 27th, 2016, 12:46 AM
click your heels together

scheafer, shaffer, schaffer ...

david i
April 27th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Hi,

Some quick n' tired post-call thoughts. I'm a mere wee dabbler at Sheaffer, much less OCD than with the Parker Vacs, so Danny-boy probably can give more accurate answers. I mainly enjoy scoring exotic Balances and writing them up for profiles and articles.

The two-tone nibs did kick in well before the era of the striated plastics. As the full-ball clip ran into 1934, a mottled Marine Green pen thus reasonably can harbor a two tone nib. If some other findings might suggest the pen was made so early (short gripping section) that it is more iffy, but in terms of dollar value there will be no harm to later nib in earlier pen. There might be some findings to identify earlier vs later two tone nibs-- which in theory might complicate using a later nib in early pen-- but in truth there might be just a couple people on the planet who can identify or care about those findings.

Monotone nib in later striated-plastic pen is trickier. It is clear that monotone nibs do turn up in 1936+ pens. Oversized black pens with radius clips routinely are found with them in the wild, though iirc the catalogues show two-tone nibs for OS pens of course by that late date. Again just vague recollection that claims exist that monotone nibs were offered with them at bit of discount. If so, was this active production of monotone nibs or mechanism to reduce stock of older nibs. Don't know. But, I don't routinely see striped OS pens with the monotone nibs. I've been willing on occasion to put monotone nib in striped OS pen to make it whole, but I am suspicious. I offer bit of discount when selling that cocktail.

Another consideration is fit. Early pens have flat comb feed. Later pens have more rounded/convex feed. I have not done major testing, but I'm not sure the early-seeming monotone nibs are quite same size (might be thicker) than later two tones. I don't insist. But would be important to make sure nib fits well and functions well. Sometimes swapping feeds/nibs in Balances the fit of the new mixes do not seem so sound.

regards

david

popcod
April 28th, 2016, 07:09 PM
That's great info David. Thanks for taking the time to chime in. I'm of a mind to leave the pens as they are, since the earlier Marine Green Balance has the earlier feed and non-visulated section – more trouble than it's worth to do just a nib transplant and don't want to detract from the value of the later pen. Usually my work on nib-only swaps runs smoothly, but the ones that don't quite fit with a new feed/section sure are a pain. Also just came into possession of a nice OS Silver Pearl striped with a two-tone nib, so that should satisfy the craving. If only it didn't have a cap-lip crack that runs halway up the cap :(