PDA

View Full Version : Greg Minuskin Service. NG.

stub
April 28th, 2016, 04:15 AM
I’ve heard the horror stories about Greg and admit I found him really blunt and unpleasant to deal with but I mostly was pretty happy with my purchases from him. Not all was roses but the success rate was fairly high. I mostly got good pens from him and occasionally great ones.

Yes there was the occasionally bafflingly measured nib but mostly you paid (and I mean you paid immediately. holy cow) and got your pen. Once or twice he awarded me a pen and then had to take it back (no apology or admission of error), okay whatever, wires get crossed. So he isn’t perfect, and isn’t pleasant to deal with. But that’s okay, he’s selling me a pen, not marrying into the family.

I did occasionally get bum pens, two stand out. Both very poorly plugged Sheaffer vac-fils that crapped out quickly. I subsequently restored them elsewhere (a story for another day/post).

Truth be told I got about 15 pens total from him over the last 4 years or so and was happy with most of them. A couple are amongst my best pens and I think his stub grinds are very good indeed and I know that he hacks the feeds sometimes to adjust for flow, so you usually end up with a nice nib cut and good juicy ink flow. He isn’t a pen restore person, he’s a nib tech, so yeah. That is the main thing you go to him for. But he does sell pens.

-
So now we come to the present predicament. I bought a Waterman from him. User grade. Some cosmetic issues but a decent price on a pen I always was curious about so I raised my hand. He told me I was second in line. The first person backed out, he did his usual bothersome “waiting for your prompt payment” deal and I paid. The pen came (he ships pretty quickly) and I soaked it some water quickly, rinsed everything out, filled it and was off to the races.

So issue one:
It is just a F nib. He advertised it as a .7mm signature (implied stub since that is how that word is always used, but he doesn't say it). It isn't at all it is a round nib. Let's be honest, we all know what happened here. He got one of these in a pile, figured he could flip it. Looked at it for a few minutes, seemed like it was okay, took some pictures and threw it on his site. His listing implies (esp. given the context) that he did nib work on it. He didn't. It is a bone stock F nib. Not stubbed, but re-tipped, not ground.

Then:
The pen had ink starvation issues. It wrote great for a paragraph and then dried up. You can prime the feed and all is good again but in a paragraph or two you have to prime the feed again. So that sounded like it was not really clean. Further violet ink was all over my hands. I put blue ink in it and this is that classic old Waterman Violet … at this point I am not sure why it is on my hand but what starts now is 4 days of distilled water and endless violet ink.

After 4 overnight soaks I let it dry, put it together again, ink up and the same story. Unbelievably there is violet ink all over my hand still and I look and can actually sort of see the ink oozing out of both ends of the section, where the section connects to a brass collar that connects the section w/ the barrel of the pen and at the end of the section where the lacquered brass section meets the collar that holds the nib and feed (This is a Waterman man 100 style pen).

So very very clearly this pen is leaking. I do not know how to make it not leak, it does not appear to be screw together and despite warm water soak it isn’t an easy friction fit. So I begin to think, yeah I need a pro to look at this. Let me see if Greg can repair it or if it can’t be repaired I can get a credit. Not a refund, a credit. I don't even mention that the listing was misleading, that the nib is not stubbed, and that the pen has ink starvation issues. I mention only that is is leaking.

The emails that transpire are frankly hard to believe. Passive aggressive, insistent about things he couldn’t possibly know about on my end. Just insane. He claims it is impossible that the pen was not entirely clean and not leaking when he sent it to me. I 100% swears there is no way violet ink is coming out of the pen, impossible he says. Then he says he will not take the pen back but initiate a postal investigation since it is impossible he sent me a messed up pen and if there is a problem it must have happened in transit. He will call the post office and start a claim and postal people will come to my house. I will have to show them the packaging. If the claim is settled in my favor then I must ship the pen back to him and there will be a 15% restocking fee. I live 7000 miles away. The pen was not damaged in shipping in a way that was at all visibly verifiable. The restocking fee and the return shipping are already probably half the value of the pen.

All of this is to say that Greg will pretty much not take returns. He puts up as many barriers as he can so that you can’t return the pen, disputes you every step of the way, even about things he can’t possible see happening in your house from his. He doesn’t give a rat’s ass if you are a many many time repeat customer, sang his praises all over the net, sent him a written thanks that he then posts to his site (he asks you first, thankfully) he is determined not to take the pen back.

Really super unhappy. Making it worse is he is pretty much one of only 3 people on the globe who does what he does so I hate to burn bridges.

I guess I am done. If I buy 10 -15 pens from someone over a period of many years and JUST ONCE get a pen I really feel I need to return, I want to know I am not going to get shit all over.

So be warned. You buy a pen from Greg, you roll the dice. Mostly, it will work out, but if you get that one in 10, 15 that goes south you are stuck with it. He isn’t taking it back. No matter how good a customer you are.

Deb
April 28th, 2016, 05:06 AM
In fairness, You should notify Greg that this post is here so that he can respond if he wishes to do so.

I wouldn't worry about burning your bridges. I'm fairly sure they'll be a smouldering ruin before the day's out.

stub
April 28th, 2016, 05:18 AM
In fairness, You should notify Greg that this post is here so that he can respond if he wishes to do so.

I wouldn't worry about burning your bridges. I'm fairly sure they'll be a smouldering ruin before the day's out.

Greg claims to not read the internets anymore and not respond.

I know its a long winded rant but I really do think it is shabby treatment and I really do think that folks buying from him should know that while most sellers will take back an item for repair or credit or even refund, Greg appears to have made it is goal to make returns as forbidding as possible.

Anyone wants to alert him can. I was very tempted to reproduce his and my emails but I don't know if that is really the right thing to do. I think my post is fair.

bottom line: buyer beware. Even a fanboi can get stung.

I still think his stubs are often fantastic. I treasure the ones I have.

Deb
April 28th, 2016, 06:12 AM
I still think it's your responsibility to make him aware. It may be that others will take that upon themselves but you cannot know. Just because he has not responded to criticism on previous occasions does not mean that he should not have the chance to do so now.

It's not that I disbelieve you. I've heard similar stories about Greg innumerable times. One of them was played out on this forum some time ago. My practice is to take back a pen if someone doesn't want it and I pay the return postage. That seems reasonable to me and I don't lose customers that way. The 15% restocking fee is almost unbelievable!

According to usual net etiquette you can post your own emails but not the other party's without their permission

stub
April 28th, 2016, 06:56 AM
I still think it's your responsibility to make him aware. It may be that others will take that upon themselves but you cannot know. Just because he has not responded to criticism on previous occasions does not mean that he should not have the chance to do so now.

I am sorry I just don't see it that way. He offers his services to the public and those services are open to public critique. Just like a restaurant serving meals would be. More, why should I then be obligated to interact with him further? Unless someone can convince me that I am ethically bound to do so or it is this forum's policy that I do so, I won't. Besides if it is possible I am blocked anyway.

It's not that I disbelieve you.

I am happy to send you or any other arbitrator or impartial expert the pen in question. I have PVC tubes at the ready (Greg is one of the few dealers I know does not sent in PVC pen tubes). It is an amazing pen actually. The nib is incredible. I had no idea that 70s and 80s Watermans were still that fantastic. Very luxurious feel.

Deb
April 28th, 2016, 07:08 AM
What kind of Waterman is it? I'll be happy to assess it for you if it's a type of pen I'm familiar with.

stub
April 28th, 2016, 07:18 AM
What kind of Waterman is it? I'll be happy to assess it for you if it's a type of pen I'm familiar with.

It is some kind of gaudy poorly plated 80s Waterman Man 100 / 200 / Gentleman type dealio.

I think it is actually a Man 100 as it is quite large and the nib is glorious. I was shocked.

bluesea
April 28th, 2016, 08:24 AM
I am sorry I just don't see it that way. He offers his services to the public and those services are open to public critique. Just like a restaurant serving meals would be. More, why should I then be obligated to interact with him further? Unless someone can convince me that I am ethically bound to do so or it is this forum's policy that I do so, I won't. Besides if it is possible I am blocked anyway.

Agree with you 100% on this. You are conscientiously sharing a business transaction that in your opinion and experience has gone bad. Your record shows you to be courteous and fair. Bravo.

Deb
April 28th, 2016, 08:58 AM

It is some kind of gaudy poorly plated 80s Waterman Man 100 / 200 / Gentleman type dealio.

I think it is actually a Man 100 as it is quite large and the nib is glorious. I was shocked.

I'm not really familiar with that type of pen. Bit too modern for me!

katherine
April 28th, 2016, 12:49 PM
My experience is as follows. My tldr is that while he was somewhat annoying to deal with, I was satisfied at the end of the exchange.

I've purchased one pen from Greg -- a "wet noodle" Wahl. My one complaint with the pen is that he overstates flexibility and calls EVERYTHING a noodle. The pen I received from him was more like semi-flex. Flexed quite a bit, but only with significant pressure. Anyway, I was happy enough with it.

About a month in, the pen is leaking from the section. Blue ink all over my fingers. I emailed him, he suggested that I should wipe ink of my pen (nope, more ink coming), then that I used bad ink (nope, Sheaffer Skrip), then that my ink had gone bad (nope, have receipt for ink bottle)... Then agreed to do a full refund, even on the initial shipping charges. While our exchange was a little annoying, I was satisfied at the end. (And so was he, he relisted the pen, hopefully after checking the sac, and sold it for $20 more)

If you paid with PayPal -- are you covered by the guarantee? He sold you a faulty pen and is refusing returns.

Flounder
April 28th, 2016, 01:33 PM
AFAIK policy here is that the board contacts the dealer in any case; "Remember, customers have a reputation among restorers just like restorers have a reputation among customers. When you leave negative comments about a company or person they will be contacted and given a chance to respond." [emphasis added]

Maybe Eric can let us know if this is still in effect since Dan left.

Anne
April 28th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Being that this is a post regarding Mr. Minuskin's service As well as his character, I would like to just include my experience too.
I found my grail nib being sold online yesterday on a certain site. I hesitated buying it because it was not in prime condition at all, but having Mr. Minuskin in mind, I emailed
him pictures of the nib being sold and asked for his professional opinion.

Of course he could fix it! But, when I asked if After his repair the nib could flex as it was originally meant to before it was damaged, he said No.
He could very well have said Sure! Buy it and send it to me and I will fix it for X amount of money - But he was Honest and Professional even though it meant that he would not be adding another job to his queue.

He has been a valuable resource to me a few times now and yesterday I really appreciated his expertise and help he did not have to be.

Stub, I feel bad that this sale went sour for you, but I have bought from trusted people before and received less than stellar pens/nibs. Even the professionals aren't perfect
all the time and get things wrong. I hope you can find someone to fix this one, it sounds like a beauty and well worth the cost to repair.

stub
April 28th, 2016, 07:28 PM
To be sure I have had good experiences with Greg too.

& To be clear I have bought a dozen or more pens from Greg so my sample size is not 2 or 3 pens and not even for a second is his craftsmanship here in dispute, for nib re-tipping and repair he is almost entirely without peer and his nib grinding is excellent in my experience.

He is absolutely top shelf as a nib tech.

What is being critiqued here is the after service and his return policy and his overall customer service. I have bought many pens from him and been a loyal trouble free customer for years. You would think the response would be “ hey, seems you are having issues with that last pen we sent you. Look, just send it back and we will get you sorted out. We can look at the pen and if we can repair that we will, if there is some structural flaw that can’t be addressed we can give you dibs on what we have coming through the que, give you credit or even issue a refund if need be. But we want to get you a working trouble free writing instrument.” Or even an inquisitive process of "tell me what you see... can you take a picture of x, how did the package look when it arrived, what happens when you do x, try y and get back to me .... " Try hard to give a crap whether or not your customer is having issues. Maybe given that the customer can rattle off a dozen pens off the top of his head that he bought from you and seems not entirely to be a noob to consider than context as well.

He put up all manner of impediments to return. Most bothersome was his insistence was that it was 100% impossible that the pen was sent out with any issues and the implication that I was either dumb, or dishonest or both. It is possible the pen was fine when it was sent out but was damaged in shipping (unlikely but possible that the vibrations set the pen to leaking) but my experience leads me to believes that it is possible that the pen was insufficiently vetted for sale or that given his volume of work the pen just did not exhibit clear symptoms while in his possession. That happens with pens. Especially old second hand pens and especially at the volume of pens that he deals with.

In short he will sell you pens and you will very likely get a good one, but if you don’t, he doesn’t really want to hear about it. The customer is always wrong and he is going to do his very best to make sure you do not return a pen.

Yesterday I dealt with another famous and respected pen person. This person said to me roughly: "I like selling things but I want to try and make sure they suit the buyer.” Crazy right?

Greg, seemingly just wants to sell you things and he doesn’t want to hear it if there are any problems after (though he is wonderfully chatty if your after sales interaction consists of praise).

When you sell used vintage items and you sell at that volume some bad apples are going to slip through, some tender old pens will be at the precipice of failure, some issues will emerge only after a careful more prolonged exposure. That is the nature of selling well used generations old items. You have to have some manner of grace and reasonable return policies and you can't always assume you never miss something and the user is always a dolt and the customer is always wrong. Some small part of doing this kind of retail work is customer service. I find his lacking and now am led to believe that if I buy a pen and have issues with it after delivery, I am not going to get any help or consideration or reasonableness.

stub
April 28th, 2016, 07:42 PM

Leaking somewhere where the brass threaded collar connects with the section. The violet ink he said was impossible now mixed with blue.

stub
April 28th, 2016, 07:50 PM

Also leaking where the black meets the gold here.

stub
April 28th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Sorry but that is not POSTAL DAMAGE. It is just a leaky pen pure and simple. Not my fault, not your fault, not the postman's fault. Just the nature of the beast. Waterman pens, NOT EXACTLY KNOWN AS BULLETPROOF. Used 80s Waterman pens, even less robust.

Shit happens with old pens. Why must if be user error or PO negligence? Couldn't it just be that it is an old pen, pretty frail to begin with that exhibited bad behavior only after shipment, and being put into use? Is that really so unreasonable and hard to believe?

So now i am made to feel like a jerk, stuck with a bad pen and probably black listed by one of only 3 nib re-tippers on planet earth just because I had the misfortune of receiving one leaky Waterman and having the nerve to ask for a repair or credit? (I did not ask for my money back).

BS. That is crap treatment for a loyal customer.

Anne
April 28th, 2016, 07:55 PM
:( I really hope we see a happy ending for this. This has to be an easy fix for someone out there that thrives on perplexing problems.

stub
April 28th, 2016, 08:05 PM
:( I really hope we see a happy ending for this. This has to be an easy fix for someone out there that thrives on perplexing problems.

Thank you. Though I doubt it. Not a lot of hope based on my last few exchanges.

Anne
April 28th, 2016, 08:17 PM
It would be crappy to have to pay up again for someone to fix this, but at least it would be resolved. I could see someone like Ron Zorn ( probably still backed up in his queue! ) figuring this out.
I still say it is worth looking into. I want to see this pen in another subforum, maybe Pen Reviews, working properly and providing an awesome writing sample!

Flounder
May 1st, 2016, 03:39 PM
[snip]

Mr. Minuskin has taken the time to post about one of his nib repairs (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/307812-parker-12-nib-repair-by-greg-minuskin/) on FPN today.

lsmith42
May 1st, 2016, 04:52 PM

Have you sought revenge? Greg's site appears to be offline... rumors abound...

stub
May 1st, 2016, 09:53 PM
[snip]

Mr. Minuskin has taken the time to post about one of his nib repairs (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/307812-parker-12-nib-repair-by-greg-minuskin/) on FPN today.

Let me rephrase that. Clearly he USES the internet (he sells on it) what I mean to say I saw an interview with him once where he says that he does not respond to these types of threads (which appear on reddit, fpg, etc).

I didn't mean that he literally doesn't use the internet. And I am not really sure what that link has to do with what is at issue here. I went to great pains to avoid Ad hominem attacks and to make it clear that I thought his repair work and nib grinding was excellent. That wasn't at issue.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 1st, 2016, 10:00 PM
Indeed. This thread http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/9400-Greg-Minuskin-Quite-disappointed is probably the one most people are familiar with.

stub
May 1st, 2016, 10:01 PM

Have you sought revenge? Greg's site appears to be offline... rumors abound...

Despite my interest in bourgeois fountain pens, I am working class. I grew up poor. We have an unspoken rule that you don't fuck with a person's ability to pay his rent and put food on the table. I am angry. I dislike. I wouldn't do this.

A little googling turns up a high volume of anger directed his way. Could be anyone. Could be random.

I don't wish him ill. I just wish him to be nicer and change his policies and the way he treats his customers.

So for the record, no. It wasn't me. I don't even experience any Schadenfreude over it.

Farmboy
May 1st, 2016, 10:06 PM
I too tried to look at the original for sale ad on Greg's website. Unfortunately the web domain has been reported as containing malware and if off-line.

Odd, I visited the site yesterday and it was fine.

Anyone have the original ad cashed and can post it here?

Farmboy

stub
May 1st, 2016, 10:13 PM
I too tried to look at the original for sale ad on Greg's website. Unfortunately the web domain has been reported as containing malware and if off-line.

Odd, I visited the site yesterday and it was fine.

Anyone have the original ad cashed and can post it here?

Farmboy

It's tempting to just go back and get it. I just clicked past the Malware warning and didn't have any issues but I don't want to do that again. I am sure it will be back up sometime soon.

mhosea
May 1st, 2016, 10:47 PM
It's tempting to just go back and get it. I just clicked past the Malware warning and didn't have any issues but I don't want to do that again. I am sure it will be back up sometime soon.

I keep an otherwise empty Linux Mint VM set up for that kind of thing. Whenever a new release of Mint comes out, I just delete it and make a new one.

I ran into a supposed malware infection reading some of the older pages of Rory Feek's blog (thislifeilive.com). I doubt there's anyone in the world with a revenge motive to infect that blog. It just happens.

stub
May 2nd, 2016, 02:34 AM
His site is back up now. If you go back to page 3 the Waterman is there.

I also happen to be holding another pen from that page (fantastic Sheaffer set, fills writes no issues).

Flounder
May 2nd, 2016, 10:57 AM
[snip]

Let me rephrase that. Clearly he USES the internet (he sells on it) what I mean to say I saw an interview with him once where he says that he does not respond to these types of threads (which appear on reddit, fpg, etc).

I didn't mean that he literally doesn't use the internet. And I am not really sure what that link has to do with what is at issue here. I went to great pains to avoid Ad hominem attacks and to make it clear that I thought his repair work and nib grinding was excellent. That wasn't at issue.

I'm merely pointing out the fact that Mr Minuskin is prepared to instigate, and engage, in public dialogue regarding his site, so long as it's on a platform where any negative criticism is discouraged.

Farmboy
May 2nd, 2016, 07:35 PM
I managed to go look at the ad for the pen in question. Lot of consternation for a $65 pen.

Try and replace the converter. I recently had an Edson doing something similar, the converter was worn and not making a tight seal and ink kept oozing out.

I've also observed ink change colors when exposed to certain metals.

Best-

Farmboy

stub
May 2nd, 2016, 08:23 PM
I managed to go look at the ad for the pen in question. Lot of consternation for a $65 pen.

Missing the point ENTIRELY.

So tempted to just post verbatim the back and forth we had. You'd all get it then.

$65, $365, the point was he treated a many time repeat customer like crap and pretty much made returning a problem item impossible. And the 2 suggestions you gave were already 2 more than he did. He simply did not want to hear shit from me after the sale.

So again. If you buy a pen from this guy and you have issues, you are probably going to be stuck with it and if by some miracle you
get to return the pen after a postal investigation, he's going to charge you a 15% restocking fee. Maybe that is counts as awesome service where you are from but from where I am standing that is buyer beware.

I've also observed ink change colors when exposed to certain metals.

I have see that too but I have also seen that old Waterman Violet ink. That is exactly what this is.

I have also seen old Man 100s and 200s and Gentleman pens that leak around the section (google it others have had this issue too)
in both places I see ink.

I'll try the converter/cart switch, though the converter screws in tight and is in good condition so I will be surprised but it is certainly worth a shot.

Farmboy
May 4th, 2016, 04:36 PM

I have been alerted to the miss by another kind board member.

I believe it would be more accurate to say I merely see the point from another angle.

I do believe it is within standard etiquette to post email you authored tough posting the replies on an open forum would not be within those boundaries.

Todd

stub
May 4th, 2016, 05:24 PM

I believe it would be more accurate to say I merely see the point from another angle.

Yeah. Look if you are buddies with the guy or bought (as I did till recently) a dozen or so pens w/o issue or he saved a beloved old pen with one of those heroic rescues he is uniquely able to do then you might see it differently.

I do believe it is within standard etiquette to post email you authored tough posting the replies on an open forum would not be within those boundaries.

Which is why I didn't and won't post either but that is almost beside the point. Either you believe me or think I am full of it. I suppose if you don't know me you have no idea if I am just making stuff up, but I am not and feel like I have been pretty even measured and not resorted to personal attacks and name calling. I am a pretty reasonable person. If you accept the account I have laid out, I have a hard time seeing how you would see another angle. Unless you doubt my veracity.

Tables turned, I would just say, "okay this guy is not a newb, he seems to know what he is doing, is a many many time repeat customer w/o a single issue (that is easy to check, just grep your inbox) and is likely to just keep buying pens from me and recommending me to friends so maybe I should offer to take the pen back and not be difficult and weird about it?" Ain't that business school 101?

But for some context you could google around for other used pen sellers and repair folks like Susan Wirth, Sarj Minhas, Ron Zorn, Rick Kranz, Ryan Michelson, Rick Propas, Danny Fudge, Ariel Kullock, Speerbob, Penfisher andothers and then google around for Greg.

mhosea
May 4th, 2016, 07:07 PM

Is there a bat signal for that?

TSherbs
May 4th, 2016, 07:33 PM
[snip]

Write him over there, stub. Go for it!

Jon Szanto
May 4th, 2016, 07:37 PM
You know, all this revolves around human beings.

And while humans can be good at some things, they can be not so good at others. Sometimes two people do a good job repairing pens, but one of them is better than the other at the art of communication and customer satisfaction.

I don't think it is too much more complicated than that. Unfortunate, yes; frustrating, certainly, but not particularly complex. And we all need a place to vent, and it can be done here.

Anything else?

lsmith42
May 4th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Here's some food for thought (a cognitive dissonance of a sort, if you will)...

When frequenting a brick & mortar store, the transaction is generally very buyer-centric, where the buyer is estimating whether or not they want to do business with the seller (unless, of course, you're a homophobic bakery in Oregon ready for a huge lawsuit).

When frequenting an on-line store, the transaction is much more balanced, in that as much as the buyer is estimating whether or not they want to do business with the seller, the seller also has the opportunity to estimate whether or not they want to do business with the buyer.

You have succeeded in informing not only Greg, but many others, as to what type of buyer you are capable of being. Many of us know personally many of the sellers you mention (including Greg, and it's well-known that he can be prickly at times, even to other dealers), and we know that many of them know each other, including Greg. One should assume that as much as buyers may talk to each other about sellers, that the inverse is also probably very true (albeit less publicly, I would assume), especially with online experiences.

The pen world is larger than what you see on FPN or Geeks, but still very, very small...

To him who has ears, let him hear...

penwash
May 4th, 2016, 09:10 PM
You know what I observe?

In this thread, again and again stub made his case very carefully with all the details and, really, showing a lot of respect for Mr. Minuskin.
Plus, most importantly, alerting others of what experience one had with one of the well-known sellers, is not a crime last time I checked, so I'm a bit surprised that some here rose up in Greg's defense, I would say, with a rather personal tone.

It is one thing to say:
"Y'know, that's our ol'Joe, at times he can be gruff, just bear with him"
versus
"You are showing your true nature by daring to say negative things about our beloved and dear Joe"

The former makes provision that ol'Joe is human, the latter, is just plain defensive knee-jerk reaction. One is healthy in a community, the other... not so much.

lsmith42
May 4th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I'm a bit surprised that some here rose up in Greg's defense, I would say, with a rather personal tone.

I went looking for statements (of any tone) offered in Greg's defense... couldn't find them... found a couple of positive counterpoint experiences, but no defenses...

stub
May 4th, 2016, 11:44 PM
Look, I think this has run its course.

All I can do is add my voice to the sizable choir of those that had a bad experience and warn others buyer beware. You could get stuck with a pen that doesn't work if you buy from here and be treated pretty shabbily in the process.

This forum is marked:

"Forum: Market Feedback
Share your experience, good or bad, with a company, restorer, or nibmeister"

That's all I did.

Believe it or not I didn't really want to.

But that is all the power I have.

mhosea
May 5th, 2016, 12:29 AM
You have succeeded in informing not only Greg, but many others, as to what type of buyer you are capable of being.

Yes, indeed. He's capable of delivering on 10-15 untroubled transactions, even when there are some problems that he solves himself, before the first complaint. I'll happily sell to that kind of buyer!

And yeah, I do take your point. If I'm tempted to be an ass about something, I'll keep in mind that he might go public. I make that assumption, anyway, in any of my dealings, so it really doesn't affect me, I don't think.

stub
May 5th, 2016, 01:05 AM
You have succeeded in informing not only Greg, but many others, as to what type of buyer you are capable of being.

1. I sang Greg's praises over his excellent craftsmanship, recommended him to others, when the service seemed fair and good and still am in this thread in a way, only now it is mitigated by the terrible after service. I wrote, what turned out to be a testimonial (he posted it on his site) for his handiwork. It goes both ways. I am a pretty good customer to have when treated nicely. I have bought from a LOT of folks on here and sold many pens too. Pretty good with the rep I have.

2. He had ample opportunity to work with me privately to resolve this and this thread would not have happened. It would have been super easy. A no-brainer really. All I wanted was a repair or a return for credit, I would NOT have even wanted a refund and never asked for one.

3. I have bought from a LOT Of people (many I mentioned) over the years and have never given anyone an ounce of trouble.

I didn't start this thread lightly. I caused me some grief but I am okay with what I did here.

Again:

Forum: Market Feedback
Share your experience, good or bad, with a company, restorer, or nibmeister

That's what I done did.

penwash
May 5th, 2016, 07:51 AM
I'm a bit surprised that some here rose up in Greg's defense, I would say, with a rather personal tone.

I went looking for statements (of any tone) offered in Greg's defense... couldn't find them... found a couple of positive counterpoint experiences, but no defenses...

You may not find them, but I did.
That's why I said in the beginning of my post: I observed.

Whether my observation is correct or incorrect, I'll leave it to all the readers of this thread. And yes, to your point, it could be reflected in my credibility in this forum. But since I tried to make a fair observation (I should think), I am not too worried about that.

lsmith42
May 5th, 2016, 08:23 AM

1. I sang Greg's praises over his excellent craftsmanship, recommended him to others, when the service seemed fair and good and still am in this thread in a way, only now it is mitigated by the terrible after service. I wrote, what turned out to be a testimonial (he posted it on his site) for his handiwork. It goes both ways. I am a pretty good customer to have when treated nicely. I have bought from a LOT of folks on here and sold many pens too. Pretty good with the rep I have.

2. He had ample opportunity to work with me privately to resolve this and this thread would not have happened. It would have been super easy. A no-brainer really. All I wanted was a repair or a return for credit, I would NOT have even wanted a refund and never asked for one.

3. I have bought from a LOT Of people (many I mentioned) over the years and have never given anyone an ounce of trouble.

I didn't start this thread lightly. I caused me some grief but I am okay with what I did here.

Again:

Forum: Market Feedback
Share your experience, good or bad, with a company, restorer, or nibmeister

That's what I done did.

Also, "Remember, customers have a reputation among restorers just like restorers have a reputation among customers."

stub
May 5th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Also, "Remember, customers have a reputation among restorers just like restorers have a reputation among customers."

I understood that the first time you said it.

Edited to add:

There is a person on this board who sold me a Oversized Crest Vac-fil, and restored 4 pens for me (a Statesman II, a Brown Striated Desk Pen, a Triumph Wideband and an OS Balance) and who currently has a Clipper Snorkel I own on his work bench.

I bought 2 or 3 pens form Rick Propas, 6 pens from Tom Kaczs, a recent purchase from Terri over at Peyton pens, one at nibs.com and maybe 5 or 6 pens from Mike at Fountain pen recycler and a couple restores by Danny Fudge and 2 pens from Farmersmums on fpn.

Several pens from Charles Krantz on here too.

Then there are the maybe 20 pens or so I have sold on here and FPN in the last several months and assorted one-off purchases here, fpn and reddit as well and trades that if i think hard on can maybe recall.

If someone I trust wants to be an impartial arbitrator I can back channel them my real name and you can ask these folks if I am a pain in the ass customer or some kind of fucking wacko.

Pretty confident my rep is solid.

stub
May 5th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Already regret that last response. But whatever. Not the content of it but not leaving off where I intended.
At a certain point you need to just walk away and and move on. I had a good offramp a few posts back I should have taken.

I am gonna try to leave this here. I really feel like this has run it's course. I stand behind what I wrote. But honestly I have work to do and stuff going on in meatspace that I want to get back to including some actual writing, reading, etc. .. many things more rewarding that trying to win some internet pissing contest. I made my point.

I bought a box of Waterman carts. I'll try that meantime lord knows I have enough Sheaffers & Parkers to ink up and use and that's what I plan to do.

Worst case I am stuck with a broken pen and lost one of my best sources of pens and nib grinds but I am pretty sure the world will keep turning.

rock on pen nerds.

TSherbs
May 5th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Sounds like you got sold a pen not as advertised and not worth the money you paid for it and defective. Any/all sellers should take this back, at least for a store credit. This is pretty simple. I have never heard of so much hassle over a return. Truly, never. Except now, I have heard it for the first time, so I can't say "never" any more. I have bought three pens from individuals, and thus far they each have said, "Send it back to me if you have any serious issues with the pen."

But I will say that you have purchased pens from a lot ("a lot" from my point of view) of individual sellers, and I consider you bound to run into a bad sell. I just wouldn't have expected this level of resistance. Oh, well. Sorry!

SIR
June 7th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Sometimes two people do a good job repairing pens, but one of them is better than the other at the art of communication and customer satisfaction.

I don't think it is too much more complicated than that. Unfortunate, yes; frustrating, certainly, but not particularly complex. And we all need a place to vent, and it can be done here.

Top truth, Jon.

It would seem Mr. Minuskin is both hard working and talented, however, buying and selling are contractual agreements governed by law, and a certain care, respect, and maturity must be demonstrated by both parties.

In the UK we have 'distance selling regulations' (http://www.lawdonut.co.uk/law/sales-and-marketing/distance-and-online-selling/distance-selling) (which give a right to cancel and refund) and trading standards, after which we also have the oft forgotten recourse to simple suit for breach of contract.