PDA

View Full Version : Of Tuckaways and side pockets

HughC
April 28th, 2016, 07:42 PM
A while ago there was some discussion as to what the term "side pocket" meant in Sheaffer advertising, was it trouser pocket, coat pocket or both ? Anyway when this was published the term applied to both.

Regards
Hugh

popcod
April 28th, 2016, 10:00 PM
I can't seem to open the attachment ("Invalid Attachment specified"). :confused:

edit: coat OR trousers fellas, "TUCK IT AWAY!" Reminds me of a scene from The Silence of the Lambs...

jar
April 29th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Hey Hugh. Can you post pages 4&5 where it explains how to drain the feed?

kirchh
April 29th, 2016, 10:00 AM
A while ago there was some discussion as to what the term "side pocket" meant in Sheaffer advertising, was it trouser pocket, coat pocket or both ?
Regards
Hugh

I don't recall any discussion about whether "side pocket" meant a pocket in a coat or in trousers; can you post links? There was a misunderstanding by some about the meaning of "watch pocket," though.

--Daniel

Sailor Kenshin
April 29th, 2016, 11:18 AM
I am in love with those nibs.

katherine
April 29th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Tuckaways are SO cute. Makes me wish I had shirt pockets or vest pockets or something to clip them to.

HughC
April 29th, 2016, 03:07 PM
A while ago there was some discussion as to what the term "side pocket" meant in Sheaffer advertising, was it trouser pocket, coat pocket or both ?
Regards
Hugh

I don't recall any discussion about whether "side pocket" meant a pocket in a coat or in trousers; can you post links? There was a misunderstanding by some about the meaning of "watch pocket," though.

--Daniel

Daniel,

Posted only out of interest not to restart any discussion.

Regards
Hugh

HughC
April 29th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Hey Hugh. Can you post pages 4&5 where it explains how to drain the feed?

I'll have a look if I cav find it, it was on ebay and I took a screen photo.

Regards
Hugh

HughC
April 30th, 2016, 09:16 PM
As requested

HughC
April 30th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Daniel, As requested. You wouldn't recall it because you weren't involved.

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:35 AM

Farmboy;

I would say the emphasis of the tucky being a womans pen was a Sheaffer revision in 1945 as it's original stated purpose was, primarily repeated in most ads, for the purse or trousers. Never was it stated to be primarily for vest pockets though it did appear to be alluded to in the ad Hugh shows (April '43 Look magazine - damn it people don't quote evidence without specifics!) for "watch pockets" which we will take to be vest pockets but, "vest" was far from primary (JAR's original claim FPN).

Roger W.

Roger made many references to "trouser pocket" and took "side pockets" to mean "trouser pockets" iirc.

He also made reference to "watch pocket".

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

I believe a watch pocket to be both a vest pocket and a trouser pocket. Pocket watches are often said to be put into vest pockets or the watch pocket in a vest so I think it is in error stating that a watch pocket was only found in trousers. ....

I agree with this statement. It removes confusion.

Regards
Hugh