PDA

View Full Version : New con40 converter issues

SeminarianMike
April 29th, 2016, 06:04 PM
I bought several con40 converters from Japan. Non of them will suck up ink. Rumors are this is a common problem. What are you guys and gals experiencing

God Bless You! Michael W. Howard

KKay
April 30th, 2016, 08:19 PM
I have not had one yet. Neither one of my Platinum converters will pull ink with the nib attached, so I feel your pain.

earthdawn
May 1st, 2016, 08:48 AM
I have been working on and off with a review of mine and in a Pilot VP getting it to fill all the way has been a challenge and I can't figure out exactly why.

I held of releasing the review due to this.

I just don't understand what is going on with the convertor .... I may just finish the review showing this and leaving it at that for now.

But I m seeing some odd issues as well.

jodylud
May 1st, 2016, 09:56 AM
I'm waiting to receive mine today (from Amazon) and will try it out with a Metropolitan. I've had no problems with using the CON50 or CON70 in the past. This is discouraging to hear...

SeminarianMike
May 2nd, 2016, 06:00 PM
I'm using mine in a VP. Even if I stick the converter right into ink it won't pull it up. I love the capacity but I can't get it to fill without a syringe! I don't get it

earthdawn
May 2nd, 2016, 08:03 PM
I'm using mine in a VP. Even if I stick the converter right into ink it won't pull it up. I love the capacity but I can't get it to fill without a syringe! I don't get it

Exactly what i am going through. I need to pull it and try in another pen....

But I hear ya... frustrating especially if this is the future of Pilots convertor.

SeminarianMike
May 3rd, 2016, 06:30 AM
I've tried it in a metro, a falcon, it only gets worse. The converter is not able to be taken apart so I can even apply silicon grease to insure a good seal :(

jar
May 3rd, 2016, 07:00 AM
Contact the regional distributor for Pilot.

earthdawn
May 3rd, 2016, 08:31 AM
Contact the regional distributor for Pilot.

I thought about that but since they are not releasing to the US till next year and these are considered gray market they won't be much help. They kind of shun anyone buying overseas and not through and authorized US retailer.

jar
May 3rd, 2016, 08:40 AM
But they are the folk most likely in a position to influence speedy results.

earthdawn
May 3rd, 2016, 09:39 AM

Agreed... but again they get kind of pissed when you ask about gray market imports. It's stupid I know but they are just not interested. If I could translate Japanese, not google lol, I would write them in Japan where some might actually read it.

jar
May 3rd, 2016, 09:43 AM

Agreed... but again they get kind of pissed when you ask about gray market imports. It's stupid I know but they are just not interested. If I could translate Japanese, not google lol, I would write them in Japan where some might actually read it.

Possibly true but they have a big interest in seeing that the problem gets solved before they are responsible for the complaints.

earthdawn
May 3rd, 2016, 09:58 AM

Possibly true but they have a big interest in seeing that the problem gets solved before they are responsible for the complaints.

Ill let the review speak for itself and others write them ... I don't think they are interested in my thoughts. The other reason I held off on releasing the brief review is it will piss off the US side of things.

Until you hear it for yourself you don't realize how much they hate the global ability to acquire things before release.

Just look at Apple and when they release a new iPhone in certain countries and then people tape them to their bodies to "smuggle" them into countries where the release has not taken place. Apple won't and don't listen to complaints or issues those people are having because they simply do not recognize them having them.

SeminarianMike
May 3rd, 2016, 02:15 PM
I toke jars advise and contacted pilot they toke notes and said they aren't officially released. Hopefully they toke what I said to hear. I also conveyed our concerns to Brian goulet! He will do something but somehow he has the one good con40 on the planet! So please if you watch his reviews share your experience he is concerned!

Sailor Kenshin
May 5th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Can someone 'splain to me what the difference is between the new Con 40, the 50, and the...er, is it the 20 that comes along with the Metro?

earthdawn
May 5th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Here's a picture of them for my blog post... that is not up yet but Ill share it here.

Sailor Kenshin
May 5th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Great, thanks! Now i can see that I have one 50 and a bunch of 20s, which drive me nuts because they hide the amount of ink left.

Which is why most of the time I refill a cart.

rafapa
May 5th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the photo. I believe you have misslabeled the 40 and 50 converters.

earthdawn
May 6th, 2016, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the photo. I believe you have misslabeled the 40 and 50 converters.

:crazy_pilot:

FIXED ~ I uploaded the wrong dang pic!

Thank you !!!!!!!

THE CORRECT PICTURE IS UP NOW.

jodylud
May 9th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Amazon currently has these for $7.88/ea. I bought two more as my original one works just fine in my Metro.

SeminarianMike
May 10th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Amazon currently has these for $7.88/ea. I bought two more as my original one works just fine in my Metro.

So it sucks ink in okay?

jodylud
May 11th, 2016, 03:26 AM

So it sucks ink in okay?

I completely filled the CON-40 with a syring and attached the converter to the nib feed with a secure fit. No leaks, no mess. I wrote quite a bit yesterday and will refill today the conventional way and let you know.

SeminarianMike
May 11th, 2016, 03:49 AM
Okay ya the converter is great when filled with the syringe the problem is the only way you can fill it is with q syringe this is my big issue. I'm very curious to see if you can fill it normally today

jodylud
May 11th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Okay ya the converter is great when filled with the syringe the problem is the only way you can fill it is with q syringe this is my big issue. I'm very curious to see if you can fill it normally today

This is to the extent that I could fill the 'new' CON-40 the conventional way.

jar
May 11th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Looks about right. Likely a second attempt might fill it a little more.

jodylud
May 11th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Looks about right. Likely a second attempt might fill it a little more.

I made three complete attempts to fill while the nib/feed was submerged. The entire converter does have a snug seal, no problems there.

SeminarianMike
May 11th, 2016, 02:31 PM
This is the first converter that I have been able to document being able to fill, you say u just bought this converter? Hopefully they are addressing the problem! If I can find more stories like this I'll be buying more con40s

bluesea
May 21st, 2016, 08:05 PM
Not sure if there are issues with the Con50, but I haven't had any, and not that I've used them extensively either. Getting ready to order a couple more.

ac12
May 23rd, 2016, 10:56 PM
I do not recall ever being able to fill a converter completely full, when filling by sucking ink through the feed.
As I recall there has always been an air gap in the back.

Jerome Tarshis
May 25th, 2016, 11:41 PM
This does keep presenting itself as a problem. There *should be* a length of air at the top of the column if you fill a converter that is inserted in a pen. The converter sucks or aspirates everything that is below it. If you're holding the naked converter next to the ink in a bottle, everything below the converter is ink. If the converter is in the pen, there's a bunch of air between the mouth of the converter and the ink. That air stays where it is, and the converter sucks up (1) the air and (2) the ink.

Repeated fillings can help a little. Basically the converter is sucking up what it should suck up.

dr.grace
May 26th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Converters are like syringes, and you can fill with more ink the same way with a syringe. Of course, the converter has to be attached to the nib unit. You express air by turning the pen upside down and forcing out the pocket of air, then turning the pen around and filling with the extra bit of ink.