PDA

View Full Version : Rubber cement as a thread sealer?

MCameron
January 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Has anyone used rubber cement to seal the threads on a Snork, Vac, etc.? Anyone have any opinions, one way or the other?

Mike

KrazyIvan
January 4th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I think the preferred method for sealing threads would be shellac but I am not an expert in that area.

fountainpenkid
January 4th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I think the preferred method for sealing threads would be shellac but I am not an expert in that area.

Yup...I don' think rubber cement is good because it locks up or something. I would stay far away from it. Use shellac.
(check out richardspens.com for great restoration info)

Best!

snedwos
January 5th, 2013, 05:25 AM
I would think rubber cement would be a bad idea because it's designed to make a permanent join, which you definitely don't want on a pen section. Shellac does seem to be what restorers use, and that can be softened by applying heat -- thus facilitating future restoration.

fountainpenkid
January 5th, 2013, 08:07 AM
I would think rubber cement would be a bad idea because it's designed to make a permanent join, which you definitely don't want on a pen section. Shellac does seem to be what restorers use, and that can be softened by applying heat -- thus facilitating future restoration.

+1.

MCameron
January 12th, 2013, 06:03 AM
I've since been counseled by several respected collectors and restorers to use rosin-based thread sealant. So I bought some from Ron Zorn and the Vac Junior that I just rebuilt likes it just fine. Thanks to all who responded.

Mike