PDA

View Full Version : First Nib Holders Fresh Off the Lathe

heymatthew
May 3rd, 2016, 12:56 PM
Hey y'all!

I recently got into turning with the help of my good friend Jonathon Brooks from Carolina Pen Company in Aiken, SC. I picked up my first lathe back in December as a Christmas gift to myself and started hacking away at some pen blanks and stuff. Well, I sold my first one today and couldn't be happier with this new adventure. Here are my first three "good" holders. They're not perfect, but I'm working at it little by little. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can offer up.

In addition to Jonathon's awesome instruction and help, I've found the pen making threads here very helpful so thanks for that!

Finally, these are Calico Koi Alumilite, some sort of burl wood and a white/silver Alumilite all from Jonathon Brooks. His materials are just stunning, are they not? Hard to make anything bad from these guys. :D

Best,
Matthew

stonerman33
May 3rd, 2016, 06:00 PM
Can't decide which I like best! Looking forward to seeing what comes off your lathe.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Empty_of_Clouds
May 3rd, 2016, 06:32 PM
That Calico is delicious! I have a pen on request to be made in one of Mr Brook's Ghost Koi alumilites. I hadn't thought about the possibility of a pen holder to accompany it.

heymatthew
May 3rd, 2016, 06:45 PM
Can't decide which I like best! Looking forward to seeing what comes off your lathe.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks so much!!!

heymatthew
May 3rd, 2016, 06:46 PM
That Calico is delicious! I have a pen on request to be made in one of Mr Brook's Ghost Koi alumilites. I hadn't thought about the possibility of a pen holder to accompany it.

Jonathon does make some stunning materials! Reach out to him about the holder. If he has the blank available, he'll turn one for you, I'm sure!

Empty_of_Clouds
May 3rd, 2016, 07:03 PM
Hmm, that's an idea. My pen is going to be made by Renee Meeks of Scriptorium Pens. If I had thought for a moment I could have added a straight nib holder in the same material for and extra $50 -$60.