PDA

View Full Version : In need of 'Montblanc 101'

Sailor Kenshin
May 5th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Is there a single resource that can tell me the differences among the MB models (not LE, but the regular stock models, the kind they have testers for at the boutique)? Their size, filling systems, and so forth?

I think I'm pretty familiar with the piston-filling 149 and 146. It's the 145, 144 and probably even the older models from the 60s-90s that I know little about.

For the record, I own three: a 132, a Generation, and a tester that I think is a 145.

Thanks! :)

jar
May 5th, 2016, 12:20 PM
All the testers are 146s IIRC.

Current and recent lineup.

149 Big. once called "Diplomat"

146/147 next smallest, piston fill/cartridge only. Called Legrand/Traveler

145 next smallest currently called "Classic and Classique" cartridge/converter

144 slim and smaller discontinued cartridge/converter also called "Classic and Classique"

114 smallest cartridge/converter model

And thus endeth the cigar shape modern gospel.

FredRydr
May 6th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Is there a single resource that can tell me the differences among the MB models (not LE, but the regular stock models, the kind they have testers for at the boutique)? Their size, filling systems, and so forth?

Yes. Buy this: http://www.collectiblestars.de/CS1E.html Volumes I & II should be available. In the alternative, there is the first edition, which you should be able to buy off Abebooks or eBay.

http://www.collectiblestars.de/grafiken/Buch4a.jpg

Search on the following: Authors - Stefan Wallrafen and Jens Rösler; Titles: Montblanc Diary or Collectible Stars. Two titles are out of print and prices have been quite high for the Diary.

Fred

Sailor Kenshin
May 6th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Looks fascinating, but I don't have that kind of $$$. Does V. II cover more modern pens?

jar
May 6th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Looks fascinating, but I don't have that kind of $$$. Does V. II cover more modern pens?

Yes, it looks at the ones since the end of the war.

FredRydr
May 6th, 2016, 07:59 AM
An alternative is, of course, research in pen forums. The drawback is there is no organization to speak of, and you cannot trust what is written in them because they're posted by anonymous people with no recourse if they're wrong (as they often are) in places notorious for misinformation and unsubstantiated opinions. Have a look at the pinned topics in FPN's Montblanc subform and you may feel comfortable with those. If you are thinking of new pens, a visit to your local boutique or authorised dealer will suffice. If you want used models out of production, you'll have to do the reading and research. For the best of both worlds, attend a pen show.

Fred

Sailor Kenshin
May 6th, 2016, 08:58 AM
An alternative is, of course, research in pen forums. The drawback is there is no organization to speak of, and you cannot trust what is written in them because they're posted by anonymous people with no recourse if they're wrong (as they often are) in places notorious for misinformation and unsubstantiated opinions. Have a look at the pinned topics in FPN's Montblanc subform and you may feel comfortable with those. If you are thinking of new pens, a visit to your local boutique or authorised dealer will suffice. If you want used models out of production, you'll have to do the reading and research. For the best of both worlds, attend a pen show.

Fred

I'm not actively looking for a purchase at the moment; it's just that I want to KNOW. I hope that doesn't sound too weird!

I have similar interests in Parkers and Sheaffers, but both makes have one or two good sites where model ID is, if not easy, then at least possible.

Chrissy
May 6th, 2016, 09:41 AM

144 slim and smaller discontinued cartridge/converter also called "Classic and Classique"

In addition:
145 was also called the Chopin. It has a threaded cap. It's currently the Classic
144 was the original Classique. It has a slip cap. No longer produced.

jar
May 6th, 2016, 09:54 AM

In addition:
145 was also called the Chopin. It has a threaded cap. It's currently the Classic
144 was the original Classique. It has a slip cap. No longer produced.

And IIRC the 114 was also named after some composer for a while, maybe Mozart.

Sailor Kenshin
May 6th, 2016, 10:17 AM
My tester is a 145; just checked.

No, it's not numbered, but I found the original For Sale ad.

jar
May 6th, 2016, 12:09 PM

The ad may have been in error. Was i being sold by a Boutique?

Sailor Kenshin
May 6th, 2016, 12:21 PM

I bought it here. It's smallish, and a c/c model. Clearly marked 'Test,' or 'Test Special,' but I'd have to go up and look.

luckduck369
May 10th, 2016, 10:47 AM

I bought it here. It's smallish, and a c/c model. Clearly marked 'Test,' or 'Test Special,' but I'd have to go up and look.

The kugel nib pen in the tester box is based on the 145. However, it's not as commonly seen as the testers based on the 146.

Sailor Kenshin
May 10th, 2016, 12:46 PM
That's what I have...the Kugel.