PDA

View Full Version : Repair: This is what I encounter regularly

penwash
May 6th, 2016, 11:03 AM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7622/26818653936_4e8d002cc9_z.jpg

Before and After.

Getting unrestored pens on ebay, I now expect this kind of things. This pen came to me yesterday in the above "Before" state. But now I know enough about nibs to recognize that it's a good one, provided that I can fix it.

So I attempted to get the nib to look like what it should be. This particular nib is a bit challenging because the tines are bent in more than one dimension. If you don't plan your pressures accordingly, the nib may be worse than even before.

But in the end, the nib writes. The "After" shot shows the nib and yes, the writing beneath it is from that nib. Ink is a mix between R&K Alt GoldGrun and Diamine Kensington Blue (don't ask, it was late last night).

Blue Note
May 6th, 2016, 12:08 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7622/26818653936_4e8d002cc9_z.jpg

Before and After.

Getting unrestored pens on ebay, I now expect this kind of things. This pen came to me yesterday in the above "Before" state. But now I know enough about nibs to recognize that it's a good one, provided that I can fix it.

So I attempted to get the nib to look like what it should be. This particular nib is a bit challenging because the tines are bent in more than one dimension. If you don't plan your pressures accordingly, the nib may be worse than even before.

But in the end, the nib writes. The "After" shot shows the nib and yes, the writing beneath it is from that nib. Ink is a mix between R&K Alt GoldGrun and Diamine Kensington Blue (don't ask, it was late last night).
Wow, that is serious flex, and it looks like the feed has no problem keeping up. Nice work, penwash.

Nevermore
May 6th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Wow, wish I could beam you up to my house! Mad skills!

Crazyorange
May 7th, 2016, 04:17 PM
How long is your waiting list? I squashed my FC needlepoint and it needs your help.

penwash
May 8th, 2016, 07:57 AM
How long is your waiting list? I squashed my FC needlepoint and it needs your help.

If it were a gold vintage nib, I'd be more comfortable to attempt to fix it.
But I hadn't planned to become a nibmeister (hahaha).

Also, I've been restoring pens that I source myself, so if I goof up, I don't have to replace that particular pen, I can always source other parts to make another pen, but if I cannot save your FC nib, I'd feel really bad.

Have you considered sending it to Dan (nibsmith) or is his waiting list very long?