PDA

View Full Version : What are your three favorite inks of any given color?

jodylud
May 6th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Green has always been a favorite color of mine with blue coming in a close second. My currant three favorite 'green' inks that I own so far are as follows... J Herbin/Vert Empire, PW Akkerman/#26 Groenmarkt Smaragd and (new-to-me) Franklin-Christoph/ Loden.

katherine
May 6th, 2016, 12:34 PM
My three are probably Iroshizuku Yama Budo, Sailor Okuyama, and Montblanc Emerald Green. (Suggestions on inks that look like it? :/)

inklord
May 6th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Rohrer & Klingner "Sepia", Montblanc "Permanent Grey", Diamine "Oxblood" tied with Akkerman's "Garuda Rood" and Rohrer & Klingner Morinda. But I also love any and all off-beat inks, like Sailor's Oku-Yama, J.Herbin's "Vert Empire" and "Rouille d'Ancre", DeAtramentis' "Charles Dickens" and the like; but "Sepia" and MBPG are always in at least two of my pens, and the reds just have to fight it out (depending on how dried the blood is supposed to look on the page... :) among themselves to make it into the next pen available.
OK at first i didn't quite get it: three inks in each color category... that's easier
Grey and off-grey: R&K "Sepia", MBPG, DeAtramentis "Charles Dickens"
Reds: Akkerman's "Garuda Rood", Diamine "Oxblood", R&K "Morinda"
Blues: 4:1 Mix of R&K "Koenigsblau" and "Cassia", Sailor Jentle "Nioi Sumire", 1:1 mix of R&K "Salix" and "Scabiosa"
Greens: J.Herbin "Vert Empire", R&K "Smaragdgruen", Sailor "Miruai" tied with Franklin-Christoph "Loden"
Browns: Franklin-Christoph "Dark Chocolate", Franklin-Christoph "Terra Firma", J.Herbin "Lie de The"

jodylud
May 6th, 2016, 03:41 PM
My three are probably Iroshizuku Yama Budo, Sailor Okuyama, and Montblanc Emerald Green. (Suggestions on inks that look like it? :/)

I like the Sailor Oku-yama, very similar to a Diamine Oxblood in a kinda sorta way.

jodylud
May 6th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Rohrer & Klingner "Sepia", Montblanc "Permanent Grey", Diamine "Oxblood" tied with Akkerman's "Garuda Rood" and Rohrer & Klingner Morinda. But I also love any and all off-beat inks, like Sailor's Oku-Yama, J.Herbin's "Vert Empire" and "Rouille d'Ancre", DeAtramentis' "Charles Dickens" and the like; but "Sepia" and MBPG are always in at least two of my pens, and the reds just have to fight it out (depending on how dried the blood is supposed to look on the page... :) among themselves to make it into the next pen available.

Had to look them all up... The Rohrer & Kligner 'Sepia' reminds me of J Herbin 'Cacao du Bresil', a fav of mine.

VertOlive
May 6th, 2016, 09:34 PM
Greens are my fave:

1. Sailor Kingdom Note "Tanna japonensis"

2. Stipula "Musk Green"

3. Noodler's "Road to Burma"

In that order.

gregamckinney
May 7th, 2016, 12:09 AM
In the reddish realm:
1. Sailor Red Brown
2. Kobe 39
3. (and for something currently easily obtainium) Diamine Oxblood

Best Regards, greg

jodylud
May 7th, 2016, 12:26 AM
Greens are my fave:

1. Sailor Kingdom Note "Tanna japonensis"

2. Stipula "Musk Green"

3. Noodler's "Road to Burma"

In that order.

I have Stipula Musk Green on my list, as well as Diamine Salamander.

Jon Szanto
May 7th, 2016, 12:31 AM
Listed alphabetically by brand because you can't choose among your children...

Reds:

Diamine Red Dragon
KWZ Thief's Red
Sheaffer Persian Rose

Greens:

De Atramentis Petrol
Diamine Sherwood Green
Franklin-Christoph Franklin's Green

Blues:

Akkerman #5 Shocking Blue
Aurora Blue
Namiki Blue
(and yeah, this is no fair, but still... Parker Penman Sapphire)

jodylud
May 7th, 2016, 12:37 AM
In the reddish realm:
1. Sailor Red Brown
2. Kobe 39

Best Regards, greg

I have the Diamine Oxblood and recently received Ancient Copper. I like them both.

jodylud
May 7th, 2016, 12:52 AM
Listed alphabetically by brand because you can't choose among your children...

Reds:

Diamine Red Dragon
KWZ Thief's Red
Sheaffer Persian Rose

Greens:

De Atramentis Petrol
Diamine Sherwood Green
Franklin-Christoph Franklin's Green

Blues:

Akkerman #5 Shocking Blue
Aurora Blue
Namiki Blue
(and yeah, this is no fair, but still... Parker Penman Sapphire)

I do like that Akkerman #05 Shocking Blue, but already have Noodler's Baystate Blue. Is it easier to work with? I can't seem to keep the BB in a pen for very long without a mess to clean up. I've designated it to a 'Charlie' eye drop pen for that reason.

Jon Szanto
May 7th, 2016, 01:08 AM
I do like that Akkerman #05 Shocking Blue, but already have Noodler's Baystate Blue. Is it easier to work with? I can't seem to keep the Baystate in a pen for very long.

In my (un-asked-for) opinion, you shouldn't keep BSB in any pen for any length of time. Well, unless you don't like that pen, that is. One of the all-time inks to avoid.

There are a zillion blues. There are blues with a lot of interest and variety. People, especially young people, who are new to the pen world get swayed by peer hype, and BSB is just one of those things. A rite of passage. Not to mention that it has terrible issues with fading on the page as time goes on, and while many people love the way is just POPS! off the page, I find it remarkably tiring to read more than a couple of paragraphs. Kind of like staring into a flashlight.

Well, my $0.02.

ADDENDUM: Um, you said you "already have", and then you mentioned one ink. Be aware that many of the deranged lunatics people around here have, ummm... a lot of inks. Like, lots of inks of what civilians might call "the same color". My in-house inks, not counting samples, just passed 80. Not healthy, you should back away, now...

Jon Szanto
May 7th, 2016, 01:12 AM
No fair, jodylud, you edited your reply! Now I see you have it in a dedicated pen. That's probably ok.

Also, see my addendum...

jodylud
May 7th, 2016, 01:17 AM
Thank you Jon Szanto. I just edited my initial reply while you answered my question. I did read enough about the BB behavior before purchasing but simply couldn't help myself. I do have one freebie knock around pen for this.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 7th, 2016, 01:35 AM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7271/26796531841_1749cf7a64_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GPVekF)

Psst! It's real blood too (mine).

Jon Szanto
May 7th, 2016, 01:40 AM
Thank you Jon Szanto. I just edited my initial reply while you answered my question. I did read enough about the BB behavior before purchasing but simply couldn't help myself. I do have one freebie knock around pen for this.

Not to worry - I'm just a bit sleep-deprived and having some fun. Welcome to FPG, btw. I hope you have a good time here!

migo984
May 7th, 2016, 03:15 AM
I have so many "favourites" - yeah I know, that's an oxymoron. But the ink world is happily a rich and abundant one and my preferred choices change almost daily.

Current faves, or old ones that I find I keep coming back to are:

Purples: Sweet Potato Purple, Kobe #18, S T DuPont Violet or L'Aman
Blue: Platinum Aurora Blue, P & M Vintage Denim, Kobe #38
Green: Oster Deep Sea, Tanna Japonensis, Green Tea
Red: Kobe #20, Kobe #4, Shuurushi
Brown: Toffee Brown, Tsutaya Root, Oster Khaki (not sure if brown or green)
Black: No 1 Nureba-iro, Red Belly Black, Perle Noir

FredRydr
May 7th, 2016, 03:16 AM
Aww, c'mon people. No one has touched on the obvious:

BLACK

Aurora black
Sailor Nano Kiwaguro ultra black
Herbin Perle Noir

And don't reply that black isn't a color, or some such nonsense! :blink: One of these days I'll have to try some of this Montblanc black of which I have several old bottles.

Fred

VertOlive
May 7th, 2016, 06:01 AM
I have so many "favourites" - yeah I know, that's an oxymoron. But the ink world is happily a rich and abundant one and my preferred choices change almost daily.

Current faves, or old ones that I find I keep coming back to are:

Purples: Sweet Potato Purple, Kobe #18, S T DuPont Violet or L'Aman
Blue: Platinum Aurora Blue, P & M Vintage Denim, Kobe #38
Green: Oster Deep Sea, Tanna Japonensis, Green Tea
Red: Kobe #20, Kobe #4, Shuurushi
Brown: Toffee Brown, Tsutaya Root, Oster Khaki (not sure if brown or green)
Black: No 1 Nureba-iro, Red Belly Black, Perle Noir

That's two votes for T.japonensis I can't help but notice.

Jon Szanto
May 7th, 2016, 01:28 PM

BLACK

Aurora black
Herbin Perle Noir

Ok, that is incredible - that is precisely MY black lineup, as well! Remarkable!

Lady Onogaro
May 7th, 2016, 01:43 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7271/26796531841_1749cf7a64_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GPVekF)

Psst! It's real blood too (mine).

That's kind of disturbing, Empty of Clouds. :shocked:

top pen
May 7th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Bought so many inks over the years and find myself using virtually none of them except from J herbin Poussiere de Lune, MB Blue Hour and MB Twilight. Never really seen the appeal of lighter inks any I have bought have been left virtually unused.

inklord
May 7th, 2016, 03:08 PM

Had to look them all up... The Rohrer & Kligner 'Sepia' reminds me of J Herbin 'Cacao du Bresil', a fav of mine. Indeed - Sepia is semi-waterproof, though!

inklord
May 7th, 2016, 03:12 PM
In the reddish realm:
1. Sailor Red Brown
2. Kobe 39

Best Regards, greg
...too bad that Sailor Red Brown is 'unobtainium' right now, though I wouldn't blow up someone's hometree to get at it.... :)

Crazyorange
May 7th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Pink:
My fav...MB pink ink[emoji178][emoji178][emoji178]
BB sweet love pink
Sailor storia Fire

Purples:
BB l'amant
BB sweet potato
MB lavender purple

inklord
May 7th, 2016, 05:08 PM

BLACK

Aurora black
Herbin Perle Noir

Ok, that is incredible - that is precisely MY black lineup, as well! Remarkable!
OK BLACK:
R&K "Leipziger Schwarz"
J.Herbin "Perle Noir"
Sailor Jentle "Black"
...seems hard to avoid "Perle Noir"

migo984
May 7th, 2016, 05:33 PM

BLACK

Aurora black
Herbin Perle Noir

And don't reply that black isn't a color, or some such nonsense! :blink: One of these days I'll have to try some of this Montblanc black of which I have several old bottles.

Fred

I beat you to the Blacks - by a minute! :) (Post immediately before yours)

gregamckinney
May 8th, 2016, 08:11 AM
In the reddish realm:
1. Sailor Red Brown
2. Kobe 39

Best Regards, greg
...too bad that Sailor Red Brown is 'unobtainium' right now, though I wouldn't blow up someone's hometree to get at it.... :)

I had to go on a WTB $pending spree to obtain a small stock of it recently. Felt a little like the folks who buy the really expensive inks directly from Japan, but it was (to me, anyway) worth it.
greg

velo
May 8th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Burgundy...yum.

Diamine Syrah
Diamine Oxblood
Black Swan In English Roses

gregamckinney
May 8th, 2016, 08:18 AM
I added my reds (didn't even bother to put the ultimate, super-unobtanium Omas Vespucci Red, in there :angry: )

so I'll add my blues too:
1. Omas Roma Blue (down to my last ~10ml of this one)
2. Private Reserve DC Super Show Blue (have about 1/2 bottle each of 2003 and 2004) will be sad when these are gone.
3. (gotta include some obtanium, which I do truly love) Diamine Tropical Blue. Have loved this one since they first introduced it as a LE, and always have a couple bottles on hand.

Honorable mention to:
- Aurora Blue
- Skrip Peacock Blue

Best Regards, greg

SeminarianMike
May 8th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Sailor sky high, waterman Florida blue, iroshizuku tuskiyo

God Bless You! Michael W. Howard

sharmon202
May 8th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Blues
Diamine Majestic Blue
MB JFK Navy Blue
Blackstone Sydney Harbor blue
Have to add Sailor Yama Dori

Lady Onogaro
May 8th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Purples:

R & K Cassia
Cross Violet
Lamy Dark Lilac

Turquoise:
Lamy Turquoise
Montblanc Honore Balzac
Diamine Schubert

Blues:
Sailor Sky High
De Atramentis Myrrh
De Atramentis Plum Blue (not really sure this is a blue, though)

Greens
Diamine Safari
Sailor Kitano Olive
Private Reserve Avacado

Grey:
De Atramentis Fog Grey (I haven't tried many, but I like that one).

gregamckinney
May 8th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Blacks:
1. Aurora Black
2. Aurora Black
3. Aurora Black

Runner up/ Miss Congeniality: Pelikan 4001 Black for when I need a very dry black ink.

Even though I have more than 100 bottles of ink, those are the only two black ones.

greg

caribbean_skye
May 9th, 2016, 05:14 AM
Green: Pilot Iroshizuku Chiku-Rin and R & K Alt-Goldgrün
Red: Diamine Red Dragon and Akkerman Chinatown Red
Orange: Sailor Jentle Apricot and Diamine Autumn Oak
Brown: Caran d'ache Grand Canyon
Blue: Sheaffer skrip Peacock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcorrea
May 11th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Have you tried Kaweco Black? I got some cartridges with my Sport Calligraphy set and am quite impressed with it, but I don't have much experience with blacks.

BayesianPrior
May 11th, 2016, 06:57 AM
I know this isn't the question asked in the OP, but....based on my scientific study of about 30 different inks...I'd be happy to only have access to the following forever:

Black:
Sailor Kiwa-Guro
Pelikan 4001 Brillant Black

Brown:
Diamine Macassar
Herbin Lie de The

Blue:
Sailor Jentle Blue
Sailor Jentle Nioi-Sumire

Blue-Black:
Sailor Jentle Blue-Black
Diamine 1864 Blue-Black

Red:
Diamine Matador

Green:
Sailor Miruai

Kaputnik
June 21st, 2016, 05:17 PM
While I do like purple, brown, and the occasional green, I can't come up with three favorites for any of them. But I do use a lot of blue.

Namiki Blue. Yes, just their basic, plain blue. Good for anything, and coming from a fairly wet pen, pretty good looking.
Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao. Very nice color, not as water resistant as I would like.
Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. A livelier color, if that conveys what I mean.

I've just ordered a bottle of Akkerman Shocking Blue. I hope I like it a lot for what it cost ($35 shipped). I have to admit that I'm mainly intrigued by those unique Akkerman bottles, and wanted to get something of theirs. The swatch of the Shocking Blue looked like something I would like.

SIR
June 23rd, 2016, 02:07 AM
I love Diamine's Pumpkin orange,
and also their Deep Dark Orange for Cult Pens although I think of that as more of a red.
KWZ's orange is a nice neutral and natural orange, bright and clear.

I could definitely acquire more oranges...