PDA

View Full Version : Piston seal Pilot 92

Pelikan-Vera
May 12th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Hello all,
so I have received a brand new Pilot 92 yesterday and I filled it with Pilot Kon-Peki. I can see fluid behind the piston seal at the rear end of the pen :(. is there a way to lubricate the piston seal and or take out the piston unit to investigate the issue?
I am rather disappointed by this as I read lots of nice reviews about the pen.
thanks for your help in advance. I am in the uk and I got it from Japan on Amazon. should I send it back immediately?
Vera

Blue Note
May 12th, 2016, 02:04 PM
I have the smokey black version. I just checked and I see no sign of ink above the piston seal. Is it perhaps a bit of the factory lubricant that is in there or are you pretty sure it is ink? Which of the demonstrator colours did you get? If it is obviously ink I would send it back for replacement rather than mess around with it. The Japanese vendors will generally reimburse you for return shipping. It is a very nice pen and mine is an excellent writer with the F/M nib. Cheers.

Pelikan-Vera
May 13th, 2016, 12:13 AM
okay thanks for the feedback. I is the blue version, so I cannot tell whether or not its ink, but I did not see the fluid there before inking it. I will wait for some more feedback and then decide next week on the course of action. Vera

lsmith42
May 13th, 2016, 12:29 AM
I have three 92s... They've all come out of the box with a little piston lube behind the seal. Nothing to worry about I think.

Jon Szanto
May 13th, 2016, 12:47 AM
A wise friend recently wrote:

Remember, the purpose of a demonstrator is to demonstrate what actually happens not what folk thought would happen or hoped would happen. If you do not want to see that moisture buy pens with a solid body.

It really is that simple.

Pelikan-Vera
May 13th, 2016, 01:42 PM
well actually my Pelikan demonstrators do not have such fluid behind the piston seal, so I think it is not normal. Vera

Jon Szanto
May 13th, 2016, 02:07 PM
well actually my Pelikan demonstrators do not have such fluid behind the piston seal, so I think it is not normal. Vera

You keep using the term fluid. Are you seeing ink behind the piston? Or is it condensation? Or is it, as some have suggested, some lubrication? The fact that you don't see it in another brand does not indicate a problem issue, it just may be that Pilot chooses to lubricate in that area.

Flounder
May 14th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Hi Vera, I have a 'smoke' coloured Custom Heritage 92, and there are a couple of droplets of lubricant behind the seal on mine too just like lsmith42's. It is easier to tell whether it is lubricant or ink by holding the pen up against sunlight. They also tend to sit in the same spot rather than migrate. If the pen is filling ok, doesn't leak and the ink flow is not excessive then the seal is good & there's nothing to worry about.

I really do think it's just lubricant you're seeing. Hope this helps you decide one way or another!

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Pilot%20Custom%20Heritage%2092/Pilot%20Custom%20Heritage%2092%20Lubricant.jpg

Pelikan-Vera
May 14th, 2016, 11:27 AM
thank you flounder. on my pen the "fluid" is further down where you have the black plastic part with the ripples just above the piston knob. since my pen is blue I cannot make out whether it is lubricant or not. I emailed the seller and see what they suggest. thank you all for your suggestions. Vera

Blue Note
May 16th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I have the smokey black version. I just checked and I see no sign of ink above the piston seal. Is it perhaps a bit of the factory lubricant that is in there or are you pretty sure it is ink? Which of the demonstrator colours did you get? If it is obviously ink I would send it back for replacement rather than mess around with it. The Japanese vendors will generally reimburse you for return shipping. It is a very nice pen and mine is an excellent writer with the F/M nib. Cheers.
I just had a closer look with a loupe and, yes, it is in there and it's not ink. I have GVFC Garnet Red in the pen and what I am seeing above the piston is clear. It has not affected the way the pen writes or flows. I don't think it is cause for concern, Vera.

Pelikan-Vera
May 16th, 2016, 11:37 AM
thank you Blue Note for your reply. It seems that this is normal then and since the pen is not leaking at the nib which would be expected if the seal is defective then I will just enjoy a nice broad nib and leave it as is. :) Vera