PDA

View Full Version : New Diamine Ink Bottle -- Dots not Grooves

Video11
May 13th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Picked up a bottle of the new Diamine Oxford Blue this week and discovered it came in a bottle with a new pattern. Same shape, same size, still glass, cap is a flat top, just has raised dots instead of recessed grooves along the upper curvature.

Anyone else seen one of these yet?

Best,

Rick

VegHead
May 13th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Yep. My Ancient Copper I bought last week is in the same style bottle. I kind of like the old style for some reason.

Chrissy
May 14th, 2016, 12:54 AM
That's nice. :) No I hadn't seen one before.

The Good Captain
May 14th, 2016, 02:17 AM
Yes, I've seen them in Write Here. I'm reliable informed that the packaging is going to be revamped soon as well but I've no idea when. All sounds rather fun.

FredRydr
May 14th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Think, man, think! There's no way I'd bring that new Diamine into my house.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24666&d=1463187373

http://www.strawson.freeuk.com/dalek/2daleks.jpg

Fred

lsmith42
May 14th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Studded for your writing pleasure?

migo984
May 14th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Now that is a pug-ugly bottle! Who's brilliant idea was that? :crazy_pilot:

Crazyorange
May 16th, 2016, 05:48 AM

Time to start hoarding old bottles to sell in eBay for $100. [emoji6]

Pira
May 16th, 2016, 06:04 AM
Huh...so apparently someone has found their muse in retro Finnish glass dew pearls (kastehelmi) :)

https://www.iittala.com/Series/Iittala/Kastehelmi/c/Kastehelmi

SIR
May 16th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Got one of these with pumpkin (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=diamine+pumpkin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiPwdPU9d7MAhWpC8AKHeL_CO4Q_AUIBygB&biw=1219&bih=778) a couple of months ago, my complaint is with the lid not the bottle.

tnordl
May 16th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Exterminate

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Lady Onogaro
May 16th, 2016, 07:53 PM
"A difference which makes no difference is no difference." --William James

Lady Onogaro
May 16th, 2016, 07:54 PM

Time to start hoarding old bottles to sell in eBay for $100. [emoji6]

Only if they change the shape of them to vases. :)

Chrissy
May 17th, 2016, 04:42 AM

Well said. That's very true. :)

migo984
May 17th, 2016, 04:58 AM

Ah but it does make a difference aesthetically. It turns what was an ordinary, utilitarian but acceptable bottle into a cheap looking ugly bottle. And given how many people on here and other pen forums are attracted to the beauty of the bottles eg Iroshizuku & GvFC, I'm surprised at the change. But then, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...... :)

pensplash
May 17th, 2016, 06:23 AM
That "old" bottle had to be more expensive to produce. The mold seam was cleverly concealed on the ridges diagonally across from one another (cool). The domed cap was reminiscent of old Bakelite caps (also cool IMO). An Italian bottle in the older style. "you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone" comes to mind. Then, it's only an ink bottle, eh?

Chrissy
May 17th, 2016, 06:44 AM
That "old" bottle had to be more expensive to produce. The mold seam was cleverly concealed on the ridges diagonally across from one another (cool). The domed cap was reminiscent of old Bakelite caps (also cool IMO). An Italian bottle in the older style. "you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone" comes to mind. Then, it's only an ink bottle, eh?

It is only an ink bottle. And at least it's deep enough to fill large nibbed pens from. :)

erpe
May 17th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Let's wait a few decades for the next change to see who comes to action to save the classic and iconic dotted bottle :bump2:

gbryal
May 17th, 2016, 09:46 AM
I like it.

Pira
May 17th, 2016, 11:22 AM
YES!!! Honestly, when it comes to a bottle my first requirement is that I can dip my nib into it, followed closely by the desire for it to be a shape so that I don't knock it over easily when doing so. My loathing of the Herbin 1670 bottles knows no bounds. Bottles like Iroshizuku are pretty, but I syringe them into small bottles that I then use with my dip nib. Diamine is economical & sensible;either style is fine by me. My favourite bottle? Sailor. Those darn things are Pira-proof.

migo984
May 17th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Although I dislike the ugly new bottle I must admit it makes little difference to me. I never buy Diamine in the large bottles anyway.

Brisboy
May 17th, 2016, 07:55 PM
I didn't like the old bottle either so it doesn't bother me.

stub
May 19th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Kill it before it breeds.

Chrissy
May 20th, 2016, 06:17 AM
In case anyone is interested, I have spoken with Diamine today and I have the most up to date bottle information that is available. :)

The grooved bottle is no longer available in the quantities required, so a change was necessary. Diamine decided to match the new bottle to their new packaging, which is similar to the Shimmer ink packaging, and the final one they have decided on has fewer dots plus a gold aluminium screw cap. For those interested from a pricing point of view, the latest version is more expensive than the grooved version. So they haven't switched to a cheaper version just because the grooved one was more expensive. :)

However, the very latest, permanent bottle, is not yet in full production. So some users are receiving an interim bottle that will not be the permanent item. :p

So one day you will be able to sell yours on ebay as a Diamine LE trial version that never went into production!

I hope I have helped. :)

SIR
May 20th, 2016, 09:25 AM

We love you Chrissy!!
No, but seriously, we do ;)

I was wondering about the bottle caps...

Chrissy
May 20th, 2016, 12:19 PM

We love you Chrissy!!
No, but seriously, we do ;)

I was wondering about the bottle caps...

I'm flattered. :hug:

Those bottle caps are definitely temporary. :) Antiques of the future maybe? :bounce:

The Good Captain
May 21st, 2016, 01:52 AM
My Classic Green has the dimpled bottle and gold cap. Marvellous!

Chrissy
May 21st, 2016, 05:22 AM

Really? I haven't even seen one. :cry:

FredRydr
May 21st, 2016, 07:43 PM
Raised dots, and now dimples? What is Diamine on about?

Fred

Runnin_Ute
May 21st, 2016, 08:52 PM

How about a photo Captain?

The Good Captain
May 22nd, 2016, 04:23 AM

How about a photo Captain?24818

Your wish is my command!

rafapa
May 22nd, 2016, 07:09 AM
Apart from the cap what's the difference with the dotted one in the first post?

FredRydr
May 22nd, 2016, 08:01 AM
Those aren't dimples!

Fred