PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Montblanc Golden Yellow Ink Cartridges

Laura N
May 16th, 2016, 08:59 PM
I bought a box of cartridges of the new Golden Yellow ink two weeks ago Sunday, at the Chicago Pen Show, from an authorized dealer. Golden Yellow is a new ink this year, and mine seems very new. My box has an expiration day of May 2018.

The ink cartridges have been in the box since I bought them, which again was all of 15 days ago. Today I took out a few, and I noticed something strange floating inside. Looking more closely, it appears to be SITB, and it's in every single one of the eight cartridges, all sealed.

There are more photos here (https://fountainpenfollies.com/2016/05/16/montblanc-golden-yellow-ink-mold-inside-the-ink-cartridges/), for those interested. But I wanted to let folks know to check Golden Yellow ink cartridges before using them. Maybe it's an isolated problem, maybe not.

Tomorrow I'll have to call the retailer and see if they'll give me a credit or exchange. Montblanc USA wouldn't help me out there, and frankly I'm disappointed. It's just a $5 item in the first place, and I spent a lot of time calling Montblanc about it. But lesson learned.

migo984
May 16th, 2016, 09:11 PM
I replied to your post on FPN, Laura. "Gloopy lumps"' have also been reported in Golden Yellow bottles, according to a friend in the UK, who is also a member on here. I've not seen it myself as I left my bottles back in the UK.

Jon Szanto
May 16th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/022/0/5853354/il_570xN.522805314_gxxu.jpg

Hawk
May 16th, 2016, 09:51 PM
When I saw this thread, I saw two replies and zero views. Hmmmm....

Jon Szanto
May 16th, 2016, 10:02 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but I typed with my eyes closed.

Hawk
May 16th, 2016, 10:46 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but I typed with my eyes closed.

You peeked, 20 views.

earthdawn
May 17th, 2016, 01:19 AM
Well this made me go get my bottle and an LED light to check it.

Mine is clear but wow that's disturbing.

I had not heard of this issue.

Chrissy
May 17th, 2016, 02:32 AM
I had not heard of this issue before, and it's quite disturbing. :(

It's a shame that Montblanc USA won't help but I wonder if Hamburg might?

Following on from this post, I rang my local Montblanc boutique and they have confirmed that all Montblanc yellow ink has been recalled - bottles and cartridges - and they assume that this is because of the problem you have seen.

They also confirmed that you can return your pack of cartridges to any Montblanc retailer, not just the one you purchased it from. :)

And so can anyone else who has a problem with this ink. :)

Laura N
May 17th, 2016, 12:11 PM
I had not heard of this issue before, and it's quite disturbing. :(

It's a shame that Montblanc USA won't help but I wonder if Hamburg might?

Following on from this post, I rang my local Montblanc boutique and they have confirmed that all Montblanc yellow ink has been recalled - bottles and cartridges - and they assume that this is because of the problem you have seen.

They also confirmed that you can return your pack of cartridges to any Montblanc retailer, not just the one you purchased it from. :)

And so can anyone else who has a problem with this ink. :)

Okay, (1) why don't I ever get thanked?!!!! Except for Pira, and thank you Pira. :)

More seriously, (2) that's very nice of your local MB boutique to say that, but I don't even live near my local boutique. It would take at least an hour driving, each way, and about $20 for parking, to bring back this $5 box of ink cartridges. And that's if MB USA even follows that policy. When I called MB USA, I spoke to a very nice fellow who thanked me for taking the time to tell them. But he said I couldn't return my ink to them, but had to return it to the retailer where I bought it. When I pointed out I'd have to mail it, and that would cost half the price of the ink, and that didn't really seem fair for a manufacturing defect, he was very nice but indicated that was MB USA policy. So maybe the US is different.

Also, I'm so busy I don't even have time to do half the things I need to. Yet I spent at least 15 minutes of a work day yesterday tracking down the contact info for MB USA, waiting on hold, and then telling them about this problem. To warn them. And apparently they found it useful, per your information. So I think telling me that I would have to take a further step, to obtain a remedy for their defective ink, is poor customer service.

Like many MB customers, my life is busy, and I really don't have time to spend on products that are defective. Instead, I'm spending that time posting it on the internet. :) I suppose I could research contact information for Montblanc Hamburg, or waste the retailer's time with this, but I think if you are MB USA and you have a customer service department, you should take care of things.

I do understand why they have this general policy. In most cases it makes sense. However, good customer service is often the art of making small exceptions for unusual situations, and Montblanc USA's policy here has left me an unhappy customer.

In my work, when we make a mistake or our clients have a problem, or even just a perceived problem, we apologize profusely and try to make it right. Obviously every business is different, but I suppose if that's how you operate in your professional life you expect something similar from the people with whom you do business.

The ironic thing is, I actually have spent a lot of money with MB USA, and have previously enjoyed excellent service through my local boutique. And I tell people that. That's one reason I buy Montblanc products. So it's a shame that on something so small, and something that has to be a manufacturing issue, MB USA's service has been comparatively shoddy and has undone the goodwill they've earned with me over the years.

Hawk
May 17th, 2016, 12:33 PM
What's a few bucks for MB to make it right? Either refund the money you spent and/or send you a prepaid envelope if they need the evidence. I feel their corporate profit margin is sufficient to eat the cost of a few cartridges.

earthdawn
May 17th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I called MB usa/canada and they are taking it case by case but he said to understand they are 100% behind any exchange needed and will correct it. Just call and they can direct you to a dealer or whatever needs to be done. He was SUPER nice and reassuring.

1-800-995-4810 usa/canada customer service

My concern is that my bottle and a friends share the same Lot# and came from the same dealer. Mine is crystal clear now while hers looks like a sea monkey project. So will mine turn that way over time? Big question.

With some amazing new LE inks coming out this year I am sure they are going to handle this as best they can. The LE inks sell out fast everywhere and they don't want anything to damage the brand.

Jon Szanto
May 17th, 2016, 01:40 PM
HEY MONTBLANC, SEND THE GODDAMNED CARTRIDGES TO LAURA AND EVERYONE ELSE ALREADY!! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?? GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!

Chrissy
May 17th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Pretty please can I have some too Jon? :bounce:

Jon Szanto
May 17th, 2016, 02:18 PM
AND CHRISSY, TOO! AND ANYONE ELSE THAT ASKS NICELY!!!

FredRydr
May 17th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Hermann, who had been in charge of the stirring machinery in the ink vats, has gone missing for quite a while now. You don't think...? Nah, couldn't be!

Fred

Laura N
May 17th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I called MB usa/canada and they are taking it case by case but he said to understand they are 100% behind any exchange needed and will correct it. Just call and they can direct you to a dealer or whatever needs to be done. He was SUPER nice and reassuring.

My concern is that my bottle and a friends share the same Lot# and came from the same dealer. Mine is crystal clear now while hers looks like a sea monkey project. So will mine turn that way over time? Big question.

With some amazing new LE inks coming out this year I am sure they are going to handle this as best they can. The LE inks sell out fast everywhere and they don't want anything to damage the brand.

I am just a customer. I have no contacts with them, no relationship or ties.

I called the customer service number yesterday. I spoke with a very nice person, who was polite and well-trained, and communicated clearly.

I was told, clearly, and very nicely, that because I did not buy the ink from their online store, Montblanc USA (the people on the phone, the people at that number) would not take it back. That I had to contact the retailer and return it to them.

I explained that in this case, I'd need to mail it back, which would take time, which would cost at least half the value of the item, even if the retailer agreed to take it back. I was told, very nicely: that's their policy. They did not offer to pay the cost of mailing.

At no time did he take my name or my contact information for any sort of follow-up. The follow-up would be my responsibility, with the retailer. At my cost in time and money.

I have no issue with the nice customer service person. The issue for me is with their policy. In this case. Because in this case, which is a tiny item with a clear manufacturing defect, where there is no retailer close to me, I don't want to be directed to a dealer. That does not actually solve my problem.

They were told that, and were okay with it.

If I had been in their situation, I would have offered first an apology, and second, some sort of direct redress. And third, I'd want to see the ink. Or at least photos of the ink.

As Hawk says, it's a tiny, tiny item. It would have been very easy to fix this.

So for me, respectfully, that's not "handling this as best they can."

I understand that people can differ, and that's fine. In the past I've always had excellent service from my boutique. Anyone who knows me knows I've spent a lot of money with Montblanc and I've been a fan.

Yes, I can afford the $5 loss. However, when I look at it dispassionately, I shouldn't be the one to have to bear the $5 loss. (Or whatever is left over after postage costs.) There is something inside the cartridges; whatever went wrong happened at the ink factory. In this case, this return policy effectively bars anyone who doesn't have a lot of free time and live or work close to a retailer. While I'd pay to mail back a $1,100 pen, or drive it downtown and pay to park, I won't for a box of cartridges. And they know that. That's the rub.

Anyway, at least now some people know to check the ink.

Laura N
May 17th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Hermann, who had been in charge of the stirring machinery in the ink vats, has gone missing for quite a while now. You don't think...? Nah, couldn't be!

Fred

There is sort of a booger-like appearance to it .... Maybe it's just sabotage.

Neo
May 17th, 2016, 06:14 PM

I am just a customer. I have no contacts with them, no relationship or ties.

I called the customer service number yesterday. I spoke with a very nice person, who was polite and well-trained, and communicated clearly.

I was told, clearly, and very nicely, that because I did not buy the ink from their online store, Montblanc USA (the people on the phone, the people at that number) would not take it back. That I had to contact the retailer and return it to them.

I explained that in this case, I'd need to mail it back, which would take time, which would cost at least half the value of the item, even if the retailer agreed to take it back. I was told, very nicely: that's their policy. They did not offer to pay the cost of mailing.

At no time did he take my name or my contact information for any sort of follow-up. The follow-up would be my responsibility, with the retailer. At my cost in time and money.

I have no issue with the nice customer service person. The issue for me is with their policy. In this case. Because in this case, which is a tiny item with a clear manufacturing defect, where there is no retailer close to me, I don't want to be directed to a dealer. That does not actually solve my problem.

They were told that, and were okay with it.

If I had been in their situation, I would have offered first an apology, and second, some sort of direct redress. And third, I'd want to see the ink. Or at least photos of the ink.

As Hawk says, it's a tiny, tiny item. It would have been very easy to fix this.

So for me, respectfully, that's not "handling this as best they can."

I understand that people can differ, and that's fine. In the past I've always had excellent service from my boutique. Anyone who knows me knows I've spent a lot of money with Montblanc and I've been a fan.

Yes, I can afford the $5 loss. However, when I look at it dispassionately, I shouldn't be the one to have to bear the $5 loss. (Or whatever is left over after postage costs.) There is something inside the cartridges; whatever went wrong happened at the ink factory. In this case, this return policy effectively bars anyone who doesn't have a lot of free time and live or work close to a retailer. While I'd pay to mail back a $1,100 pen, or drive it downtown and pay to park, I won't for a box of cartridges. And they know that. That's the rub.

Anyway, at least now some people know to check the ink.

People also know that the premium price does not come with the same level of service. They are doing a great job of removing value from their brand.

Hawk
May 17th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Apparently MB doesn't know (or doesn't care) about goodwill. They, conservatively make 100% profit on the ink and hope the little guy will say 'what the heck', forget the bad ink and later on buy another $1000 pen. Even if this thread and Laura's blog gets a lot of views, it will not make a difference in MB bottom line. Bean counters and stockholders (if the company is set up that way) win again.

earthdawn
May 17th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Well all i can say is the person I spoke today was going to handle my problem but after I told him I did not have one and just wanted to know if there was a recall he said no recall but they are handling it one case at a time and taking the returns through retailers.

Maybe he was being a used car salesman and smiling while really telling me to piss off but I did not get that impression.

QUESTION ... has anyone had the MB LE inks go bad? I have collected quite few of the ones I liked and will continue to do so but not if there are issues have have not been aware of.

Crazyorange
May 17th, 2016, 08:33 PM

Fred

There is sort of a booger-like appearance to it .... Maybe it's just sabotage.

I bet it's precious boogers. MB only makes precious resin and such.

Crazyorange
May 17th, 2016, 08:34 PM

By any chance did you get your bottle at the LI show? My bottle seems ok but like you, I'm concerned.

Laura N
May 17th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Well all i can say is the person I spoke today was going to handle my problem but after I told him I did not have one and just wanted to know if there was a recall he said no recall but they are handling it one case at a time and taking the returns through retailers.

Maybe he was being a used car salesman and smiling while really telling me to piss off but I did not get that impression.

QUESTION ... has anyone had the MB LE inks go bad? I have collected quite few of the ones I liked and will continue to do so but not if there are issues have have not been aware of.

I don't doubt what you say. I presume you don't doubt what I say. I'm not responding to you, in the sense of disagreeing with you. Only to the information you are imparting, because it's so interesting. And I appreciate you posting it, too.

In my case, though, remember: I have the actual problem. I told him I had the problem. This was Monday. He believed me. He told me he was going to contact their warehouse to tell them to look for it.

Yet he refused, very nicely, to do anything for me, even when I very politely pointed out the problems with that policy in my case. So, as imparted to me, their idea of how to "handle the problem" is telling a buyer to take it to their original retailer. And maybe some folks live or work near a MB retailer and that's a solution for them. But I told them it wasn't a solution for me in this case. And they didn't care. That was their policy. It was made very clear.

Now, maybe Montblanc USA customer service is just a total crapshoot and whoever answers the phone can create and implement MB policy completely on his or her own initiative, and I had bad luck there, and you had good luck.

------

But I'll also note that no one from MB or MB USA subsequently reached out to me, through this forum or FPN. And we all know they follow FPN. Nor did they reach out through my blog, which has a contact form. No one has said, whoops we made a mistake, that's not our policy, or we changed it and we're sorry, let us send you a new package of cartridges. (Someone on their Twitter account told me to send them my contact information, but then never contacted me.) If their policy has changed, they had at least four ways to contact me, and make it right. But they haven't. As an optimist, and a Montblanc person, I'll hope that they do so in the future. But I'm not holding my breath.

So I'm left with what they told me, firmly, without cavil or vagueness, in person on the phone. I have to contact the retailer. And try to return it. On my time, at my cost.

Now, I get that it's just $5. And I get that there are good reasons for their policy, in general. But the larger message I hear is, we don't care about your problem. And whether it's $5 or $5,000, that's not a message I want to hear from someone who sells me things. In my view, if someone has to lose the $5, why should it be the innocent customer? Why wouldn't the manufacturer whose goods were defective step up and take responsibility?

People are saying I should contact Montblanc Hamburg, or the head of Montblanc USA. Which is sound advice. Especially if I had a huge amount of outrage and lots of free time. I'm sure if I do that they'll send me a box of cartridges. After all that, you'll excuse me if I'd be underwhelmed.

Do I spend more of my time trying to educate Montblanc? What I did was call Montblanc's USA customer service. And that took a lot of time. And the result was that I was told, in essence, too bad, so sad. (Very nicely, yes, but excuse me if I don't really genuflect at that. I'm from the Midwest. I expect nice. Nice doesn't fix the problem.) Do I invest more time in this? For whose benefit? Not mine. It's only $5. It's a box of cartridges. For Montblanc's benefit? Yes, they might benefit from hearing from me. I just think that's backwards. Customer service is supposed to work the other way: not me, the customer, serving them.

So I'm left to post on the internet.

Again, I've always been a Montblanc fan. I am a customer, over many years, including recently -- not just inks, but pens. New pens. They send me lovely marketing materials. I like them. And I have in the past always serviced things through my boutique, and had great service. That's one of the things that kept me coming back to them.

I posted this is to warn people to watch out for the ink. Part of what motivated the subsequent posts here is frankly that I'm flummoxed that they've invested in years of good customer service, and built up years of goodwill with me, and yet they are willing to throw it away over a box of defective cartridges that would cost them very little to replace. But it is what it is.

earthdawn
May 17th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Laura I hear you and totally agree... A crap shoot is probably the best description.

Thats why I said "used car salesman" as an example. Plus me not having a problem made it easy on the guy. It does not set me at ease about my bottle though as it could turn bad at anytime for all I know as there are no details about how it happened or why.

Now all that being said I have to say you may be able to flip that $5 cartridge of bad ink to your advantage with the blog. While they did not respond there you might get a response or more attention to it from Corp. Montblanc by tagging them on Instagram or tagging that photo on Facebook.

Hawk
May 18th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Laura, if you feel it's worth the effort, send a picture of the ink cartridge to the place it was purchased and ask them to send you replacement ink. Maybe you will get ink. Maybe you will find out that they don't care. You are a good 'wordsmith'.

earthdawn
May 18th, 2016, 12:29 PM
By any chance did you get your bottle at the LI show? My bottle seems ok but like you, I'm concerned.

Yea that is where I got mine as well.

Some retailer in the US are saying MB it is dye particulate and nothing harmful.

It's hard to say whats what when the picture of the cart shows a chunk in it. Is it a chunk of dye or a mold spore?

There is a long thread on http://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15036 that has people saying MB in Europe is taking the ink back, stopped production, recalled it, is cleaning pens for people who used it etc. The translation of the site is loose at best so details can get lost. I really don't know what to make of it all. I just wish MB as a whole would make a blanket statement of what happened. If it's mold its mold.... if it's dye it dye but have an answer. AND if the problem got shipped world wide then please have the same standards of how it is handled.

RudyR
May 18th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Several years ago, J Herbin had a problem with contaminated ink that grew SITB. See link below:

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2010/09/update-on-j-herbin-sitb-issue.html

They offered the same deal, send us the ink back and they would replace it. There was not a lot of expectations towards being offered, nor as I recall any offer to compensate for mailing. No one went to arms over that. Personally I think that you would do everyone a favor and send the ink back to them to see if they can analyse the problem and see if it is a widespread problem or not.

You never said who you bought it from and looking at the Montblanc site, I see no Golden Yellow ink for sale. Who's to say that retailer didn't give you some bogus ink? I have to stand with Montblanc in this case. They are giving you the same deal that most companies will give you for such a low priced item. The haters will inflame this issue, but they don't remember the other companies that had problems with their inks (Omas Blue for another example).

RudyR
May 18th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Blanket statements are not useful if nothing is really known about the problem.

RudyR
May 18th, 2016, 12:41 PM

Yea that is where I got mine as well.

Some retailer in the US are saying MB it is dye particulate and nothing harmful.

It's hard to say whats what when the picture of the cart shows a chunk in it. Is it a chunk of dye or a mold spore?

There is a long thread on http://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15036 that has people saying MB in Europe is taking the ink back, stopped production, recalled it, is cleaning pens for people who used it etc. The translation of the site is loose at best so details can get lost. I really don't know what to make of it all. I just wish MB as a whole would make a blanket statement of what happened. If it's mold its mold.... if it's dye it dye but have an answer. AND if the problem got shipped world wide then please have the same standards of how it is handled.

Blanket statements are not useful if nothing is really known about the problem.

earthdawn
May 18th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Several years ago, J Herbin had a problem with contaminated ink that grew SITB. See link below:

They offered the same deal, send us the ink back and they would replace it. There was not a lot of expectations towards being offered, nor as I recall any offer to compensate for mailing. No one went to arms over that. Personally I think that you would do everyone a favor and send the ink back to them to see if they can analyse the problem and see if it is a widespread problem or not.

You never said who you bought it from and looking at the Montblanc site, I see no Golden Yellow ink for sale. Who's to say that retailer didn't give you some bogus ink? I have to stand with Montblanc in this case. They are giving you the same deal that most companies will give you for such a low priced item. The haters will inflame this issue, but they don't remember the other companies that had problems with their inks (Omas Blue for another example).

No the issue is world wide and there are posts on Reddit, FPN and Pen Exchange. MB knows there is a problem. That have communicated with those who call that there is a problem. So there is no doubt an issue.

Mold is a problem not to be ignored. IF it is something other than mold I don't know why MB would not have said something 2 months ago when all these carts and bottle started showing up.

I can tell you there is a lot of love for MB and their ink... a LOT ... this is a concern not just for the ink but for how they handle the issue.

To do returns and refunds in the UK and then tell US retailers its ink particles on our side of the globe seems pretty odd.

and... YES ... I have spoken to MontBlanc on the phone and a couple of retailers. So this is not a blanket statement on any level or by any means.

Laura N
May 18th, 2016, 04:19 PM

While you are absolutely free to believe whatever you want, I'm not a hater of anyone. Certainly not a Montblanc hater. :) But this is a public forum and I understand that some people will feel differently. I'm glad you bring it up, actually. It lets me say, nope, not me. I've been a longtime Montblanc fan.

I very well remember the J. Herbin problems. I've had inks from J. Herbin develop SITB, several times. I don't remember having to pay to return it. What I remember is contacting J. Herbin and receiving a prompt email back. I was asked to email photos of the SITB, and photos of the bottle's label. Then they mailed me replacement ink. They were courteous and apologetic. I believe they even included an extra bottle or two for free the second time I had bad ink. It was a positive experience.

The retailer I bought my Golden Yellow ink from is Anderson Pens, an authorized MB dealer. The idea that they "gave me some bogus ink" is essentially impossible. It is not their fault, any more than it is mine. This is not bogus ink. It is Montblanc ink. Montblanc didn't doubt the genuine nature of the ink, and I don't either. Other people have reported their Golden Yellow ink having the same problem.

I would have been thrilled to send the ink back to Montblanc for analysis. And I would expect them to pay for the shipping, since it's for their benefit. However, when I asked Montblanc USA on the phone if I could send it to them, they declined.

I take your implied point that a return policy is a return policy. As I said in my first post, lesson learned for me. However, in this case, sticking to that policy seems like very poor customer service. This looks like a manufacturing defect that might affect not merely one product (mine) but an entire batch. We are told Montblanc recalled the ink in Europe. Yet in the US customers have to pay to send it back?

I actually tried to "do everyone a favor" by my first post, which warns them to look at the ink. I also tried to do everyone, as well as Montblanc a favor by spending my time calling them to warn them. I can't agree that I bear any fault or responsibility here, or should do more.

Here are my Montblanc fountain pens. This will allow folks to evaluate what a hater of Montblanc I am. I own other Montblanc items as well, including a lot of ink. The unfortunate truth is that being a fan of Montblanc, and being a loyal customer, didn't matter in this case.

Laura N
May 18th, 2016, 04:32 PM
I have these in my possession. It doesn't look like particulates. I've seen ink particulates. It looks like some sort of organic growth. It almost looks like that yucky stuff that can develop in jacuzzi nozzles.

I don't know what it is, but I'm sure I'm not putting in any pen of mine.

Here's one.

And here's another.

These could be a fun thing to bring out at (bad) parties, I guess.

Hawk
May 18th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Rudy, in your post #27, I disagree with your logic. Laura is a very rational, calm, professional person.
With respect to "they are giving you the same deal that most companies will give you..." appears to be different than the referenced goulet pens link. It appears that J. Herbin wanted to research the issue and 'throw the person a small bone' for their problem. Being in business, common sense practice gives the customer the benefit of the doubt (within reason) and attempt to make a bad situation better. I will assume that you didn't know the retailer because of your derogatory comment about 'bogus ink'. Anderson Pens is a great retailer and would not do anything to tarnish their reputation.
It's not the money or wanting to promote oneself that Laura enlightened us on this issue. She wants MB to provide good products that the name implies and warn others of a possible issue that may be more widespread than a few cartridges. And for enlightening MB, a thank you by compensating her with free postage. Hey, I doubt the few bucks spent in bad ink will not hurt her financially.
My personal opinion is that you are attempting to inflame the issue. It is your prerogative to disagree with me, I won't mind.

earthdawn
May 18th, 2016, 05:59 PM
MB has been sent samples by customers in the UK

Heres just a couple of pics but there are many floating on the web. I now more than ever what them to just handle this. I love love love their inks and the more I look at the details of this the more I find.

Laura N
May 18th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Earthdawn's top photo is exactly what my cartridges look like.

This seems to be not an isolated problem, peculiar to me, but possibly a batch that went bad. Of course mistakes happen, but the issue is how it's handled. I'm no flamethrower, but I'm just not sure why customers would be expected to bear the brunt of this in the US.

And actually I did this afternoon get a very nice email from someone at Montblanc USA, so I'm hopeful that I'll have good news tomorrow.

migo984
May 19th, 2016, 01:11 AM
There have been reports about this problem circulating since March, and examples given of the gloopy ink have increased rapidly since then. These are not isolated incidents. I am open about not being an admirer of Montblanc as a company, or their pens - their ethos, aggressive status-driven marketing, and their products, are just not my thing. But irrespective of my personal opinion about the company, which I know is not typically shared, it must be admitted that something better was to be expected from a manufacturer of such a size, which makes vast profits from their gewgaws. They seem not to care much about their customers in this instance. Or at least, they seem to have been ducking the issue until it's become too widespread to ignore.

RudyR
May 19th, 2016, 02:14 AM
This was not a post accusing Laura of being a hater, or anyone who has replied to my post, but there are haters.

I suffered a personal tragedy several months ago so I lost contact with Fountain pen issues for a while. I have not heard of the problems that were mentioned, that's why I wanted more info on who and what was involved. But on looking at the two forums that I consider the most active I have only seen Laura's post as the only mention of a problem with MB golden ink (the two forums are FPN and this one of course). Even after scanning several pages of past posts, I failed to see anything.

As far as I am concerned, the Andersons have a very good reputation amongst these Fountain pen forums and are blameless.

I am glad to see that MB has responded finally to Laura as I feel any good manufacturer should accommodate their customers as best as they can. If not, then they will hear from their customers on these forums. Believe me, I have worked both sides of pen retail and customer and know from experience the difficulties and demands that can arise.

Unfortunately, when Dan left this forum, we lost a fair and reasonable voice who could carry weight when dealing with major Manufacturers. That leaves us and the dealers as they only ones who can clarify the issue. But when a problem arises, we need facts and clear discussions, not conjecture and vitriol.

earthdawn
May 19th, 2016, 02:23 AM
Earthdawn's top photo is exactly what my cartridges look like.

This seems to be not an isolated problem, peculiar to me, but possibly a batch that went bad. Of course mistakes happen, but the issue is how it's handled. I'm no flamethrower, but I'm just not sure why customers would be expected to bear the brunt of this in the US.

And actually I did this afternoon get a very nice email from someone at Montblanc USA, so I'm hopeful that I'll have good news tomorrow.

Glad they contacted you back.

Those pics are just a couple I found... there are plenty more out there from around the world of peoples Golden Yellow.

Ill be curious to see if MB USA/Canada offers the same cleaning service they are doing in the UK for those who have put the ink through a pen.

The frustration in the UK has stretched to the point of microscope scans lol

Sailor Kenshin
May 19th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Alien life form, definitely.

Chrissy
May 19th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I bought the last remaining pack of Golden Yellow cartridges from a UK online retailer. They have the same expiry date stamped on them as Laura's cartridges do, and they contain the same SITB. My retailer has sent me a pre-paid return label and contacted Montblanc.

This is the email that I was forwarded from Montblanc: (For those who think the visible particles aren't harmful, please note the second sentence.)

Sent: 18 May 2016
To:
Subject: Quality News - Golden Yellow Ink

Dear colleagues,

after a necessary change of the preservative in our inks we identified a quality issue with some batches of the ink color "golden yellow". In those batches the ink may show visible particles / flakes.
Also the use of the affected ink might have a negative impact on the writing behavior of a fountain pen.

We are currently analyzing the reason and scope of this issue.
Both cartridges and bottles are affected (Idents 112723 + 112724). We will provide an update as soon as new information are available.

We are working intensively on a solution to prevent this issue in the future.

Thank you very much and kind regards,
Director Quality Management & Customer Service International

Jon Szanto
May 19th, 2016, 10:35 AM
The frustration in the UK has stretched to the point of microscope scans lol

I kept looking for the "Street View" button to click on...

FredRydr
May 19th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Alien life form, definitely.
Or a conspiracy. Rudy knows more than he's telling.

Fred

SIR
May 19th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Firstly, I am very grateful to Laura N for further publicising this news, despite this issue apparently being 'public knowledge' for over a month now it has only just reached me and I own one bottle of Golden Yellow bought from a very well known European specialist stationery retailer; one pen inked and, so far, no problems to report...

However, despite the seemingly blasé attitude of MB's customer callcentre representative, I would definitely have called the company who sold me the item first; the manufacturer doesn't really owe me any obligation regarding the product sold to me, unless explicitly stated in the sale terms.

Despite that little 'however', it seems there is a very severe communication issue indicative of an apathy towards the concerns of the general client at large. They may think themselves niche, highbrow, exclusive, luxury, and with a reputation for quality etc, but they must surely realise none of that is any protection against the instant and immediate collective derision of the connected masses?!

Laura N
May 19th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Well, I had a nice conversation with someone from higher up in MB USA today. She confirmed what Chrissy found out -- that MB have identified two bad batches of ink. MB USA apparently agrees with the majority of us that MB USA should have handled my problem itself. And I got the sense that they will do so, going forward. So that's nice.

I'll be sent a new box of Golden Yellow when the new batch comes in.

And I will never, ever contact anyone ever again about any ink-related problem. Oh no. Should I ever again see a problem in any ink, I'll just toss that sucker out and pretend it never existed.

Or I guess I could send it to Fred, who seems to have the inside track on what's really going on. :) "The truth is out there."

earthdawn
May 19th, 2016, 07:37 PM
See...

and like myself and 2 others here and 2 others outside this board we called the US retailer we bought our carts or bottles from and they were told it was ink particulate from MB USA... upon a simple search the issue was far greater and much bigger. Thats when I called MB customer service to see what they said.

My bottle batch matches 2 others who have bottle of sea monkey soup but mine is crystal clear.

Im glad to hear that MB is now handling things in the US as they were in the UK AND that we now know for a fact that there were some bad batches.

For me that is all I needed to have my confidence kept intact.

Things happen and to me personally I get it and understand.... just don't ignore it when it happens though. I can't wait for the new inks to come out and that should be really soon !!!

FredRydr
May 19th, 2016, 08:25 PM
I hate Golden Yellow and what it's done to me.

http://www.scene-stealers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Aviator-dicaprio-pee-bottles.jpg

Fred

SIR
May 20th, 2016, 08:33 AM
I own one bottle of Golden Yellow bought from a very well known European specialist stationery retailer; one pen inked and, so far, no problems to report...

Nope... just taken the time to look and found my bottle (no.1521, exp. Feb 21) of GY is very much victim to SITB.

Interestingly, the fill in the converter of my Parker Vector appears to be completely clean...

earthdawn
May 24th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Well here is an answer...

http://blog.andersonpens.com/update-montblanc-golden-yellow/?platform=hootsuite

Montblanc in the states is now taking calls and handling it this directly.

1-800-995-4810

earthdawn
May 24th, 2016, 04:30 PM
OK well I called to return my bottle and the Ambassador told me no problem.

Ambassador: Is there a MB store convenient to me to go to?

Me: No and the one I was at last week did not have any of the LE inks in stock either.

Ambassador: No problem. Ill need your shipping info to send you a return label trough UPS and you to tell me what ink you would like in its place. Twilight, Tolstoy or any other regular ink. The Permanent Blue or Black are not available for this return though.

Me: Great Ill take a Corn Poppy Red and here is my info.

Ambassador: Your shipping label will arrive in within a few days and I will process your order for the replacement. Thank you for understanding and have a great day.

~~~~~~~~~~

See this is how you do it. A week ago when I called they did not really even know about it over here. The UK has been discussing it for well over a month and I guess since the complaints had not ramped up here they may have thought it did not make over. But it did make it here, it was an issue and MB handled it spot on IMO.

Looking forward to some of those amazing new LE inks they have coming out this year!

Bravo MB and thank you!

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Bravo MB and thank you!

"Bravo"? They just took care of a problem, as they should have, and maybe a bit on the late side. No need to go all fanboi/fangrrl about it. For luxury products I expect luxury service. After all, you are paying for it.

earthdawn
May 24th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Bravo MB and thank you!

"Bravo"? They just took care of a problem, as they should have, and maybe a bit on the late side. No need to go all fanboi/fangrrl about it. For luxury products I expect luxury service. After all, you are paying for it.

In this day and age I always expect to get the shaft ....

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2016, 08:00 PM

I don't mean to be excessively hard, and I don't mean it pointedly personal. I certainly don't think you are a bad person. I just don't understand the concept of hanging a gold star on that company for what looks like a quick bit of PR to make up for a less-than-stellar initial response.

I'm glad they are taking care of it. It feels like they had to be somewhat shamed into it though. Bear in mind, Earthdawn, I could be completely full of shit and not getting the entire picture, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time!

earthdawn
May 25th, 2016, 07:00 AM

I don't mean to be excessively hard, and I don't mean it pointedly personal. I certainly don't think you are a bad person. I just don't understand the concept of hanging a gold star on that company for what looks like a quick bit of PR to make up for a less-than-stellar initial response.

I'm glad they are taking care of it. It feels like they had to be somewhat shamed into it though. Bear in mind, Earthdawn, I could be completely full of shit and not getting the entire picture, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time!

Don't be silly...

I just got a notice yesterday about a $40 refund from Cablevision for basically stealing from its customers in Ct., NY and NJ since 2004.... so to get $40 back after 12 years in a class action suit filed by the state attorneys office.... I might be just cutting MB a break because it only took a 10 minute phone call for 1/2 that amount.

Plus I really like their ink.

PS ~ It's a white star I hold on MB :cool:

Jon Szanto
May 25th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I might be just cutting MB a break because it only took a 10 minute phone call for 1/2 that amount.

Of course, others had a different experience, maybe one that finally opened things up so that, eventually, people like you got the "white star" treatment. I'm trying to look at their reaction to this in the larger picture, which is why I don't think it truly is exemplary service, but catching up after they tripped up.

I also find it very weird that we are using terms like "Ambassadors". Just... odd.

SIR
May 27th, 2016, 03:37 AM
Not a great photo, but one can see the strands floating throughout.
Montblanc UK are offering refunds or exchanges at their stores.

Sailor Kenshin
May 27th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Wonder if the bottles containing 'floaters' will be considered collector's items.

SIR
May 27th, 2016, 04:57 AM
Wonder if the bottoes containing 'floaters' will be considered collector's items.

MB boutiques are taking back the GY bottles as part of the exchange/refund process from what I understand, so chances are all the ink will be destroyed but the bottles may be recycled.

Raises the question though, is there nothing that can be added to a diseased bottle of ink to cure it?

Chemyst
May 27th, 2016, 11:28 PM
Raises the question though, is there nothing that can be added to a diseased bottle of ink to cure it?

Short answer: "No" with a "but".
Long answer: "Yes" with a "maybe".

Three interlocking issues here:
1.) Determining what the particular SITB is.
2.) What the ink dye chemistry is.
3.) Selecting an additive that destroys/neutralizes the SITB without affecting the ink chemistry or pen components.

There are of course many broad spectrum biocides available. Some of these will do as previous posters mentioned "Nuke it (the SITB) from orbit", but may affect the solution chemistry so much that you also destroy the color or performance of the ink. Other gentler or more targeted biocides may leave the ink chemistry intact but only work on a limited family of SITB, making identification much more important. If this particular yellow dye is very sensitive to solution chemistry, it may just be easier for MB to reformulate the whole ink from scratch with a different dye and different biocide.

Thus it is very difficult for the amateur user to effectively treat a contaminated ink and be sure of the outcome. For the professional ink maker, it is usually prohibitively expensive compared to simply starting again.

SIR
May 28th, 2016, 10:19 AM
it may just be easier for MB to reformulate the whole ink from scratch with a different dye and different biocide.
Apparently it was contamination of a limited range of batches...

I'm wondering whether freezing and/or microwaving may 'cure' the ink..?

Chemyst
May 28th, 2016, 07:06 PM

With biological SITB, freezing is often ineffective due the ability of spores to survive and regenerate the SITB even if the freezing kills the current body or bloom.

Microwaving can work, but you effectively need to boil your ink for several minutes. This raises issues with water loss, surfactant evaporation and bulk losses (splatter). If you are interested in going down that route, SamCapote over on FPN tried microwaving inks for a while until he got frustrated and abandoned the effort. You might get in touch with him to get best practices and lessons learned.

SIR
May 29th, 2016, 02:39 AM

With biological SITB, freezing is often ineffective due the ability of spores to survive and regenerate the SITB even if the freezing kills the current body or bloom.

Microwaving can work, but you effectively need to boil your ink for several minutes. This raises issues with water loss, surfactant evaporation and bulk losses (splatter). If you are interested in going down that route, SamCapote over on FPN tried microwaving inks for a while until he got frustrated and abandoned the effort. You might get in touch with him to get best practices and lessons learned.

Thanks, I'll let you know!

SIR
July 21st, 2016, 11:28 AM
Not a great photo, but one can see the strands floating throughout.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24883&d=1464341787
Montblanc UK are offering refunds or exchanges at their stores.

With very great thanks to Montblanc's very kind staff!