PDA

View Full Version : TWSBI Mini Nib Hack Caution

inky_artist
January 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Background -- I use fountain pens in my artwork and field sketching. I prefer using Platinum Carbon Black ink (waterproof) when I'm working with watercolor too. I prefer vintage flex nibs for their amazing line variety. I really like the idea of pairing a modern, easy-to-clean demo pen body with my "high maintenance" pigmented ink and a vintage flex nib.

After reading about successful (and relatively easy) nib hacks that others have done with the 530/540, I thought that doing the same with the more compact Mini would be just the thing for my particular needs. Then I watched Brian Goulet's October hands-on review of the Mini, in which he said that the nib/feed seemed much tighter in the collar than those in the 540. In fact, Brian stopped short of actually pulling the nib/feed out of the collar assembly for fear he might damage the parts.

Well, that got me thinking; could TWSBI have changed the assembly design? Was the nib/feed/collar now an integral unit (like Pelikan units) and no longer intended to be owner manipulated?

I already had my Mini clear demo in hand, and was shopping around for some vintage nibs that might provide a good match. But I decided to dash off a quick email to Philip Wang at TWSBI USA and get his professional take on this issue. This is what he had to say:

"The mini feeder holder is made much tighter since the feeder and nib
itself is much shorter, therefore needing the tighter fit so writing
will feel solid. I don't think without tools, you can pull the feeder
and nib out of the feeder holder without damaging the unit. I would
hold back from trying. I've personally try pulling a few out with my
hands, all came out damaged. The 540 is definitely possible, same as
the vac700 or micarta. But not the Mini."

So, if you're thinking about switching out your Mini nib for something a bit more exotic, but (like me) are more familiar with using pens than modifying them, you might want to seek the advise and assistance of a nibmeister or repair professional.

Cheers! :thumb:

snedwos
January 9th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Gotta say I love how cool TWSBI are with people hacking their pens, even offering advice! Could you see anyone else doing the same?

menunes
May 10th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I don't think it's so funny. I was pulling the feed from the collar after three attempts at flushing the pen in order to make it write properly. I broke three fins in the feed. It's my own fault I know but it sucks. I have plastic feeds that never lost a fin, and this pen was only inked like 4 times, I'm not a brute, I swear, TWSBI is just too finicky for me . :butcher:
I have this simple Parker Insignia. I can take all apart, it cost 65 euros on a brick an mortar shop. It even has some slight flex and writes great with all inks...I'm off the TWSBI bandwagon.

KrazyIvan
May 10th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I don't think it's so funny. I was pulling the feed from the collar after three attempts at flushing the pen in order to make it write properly. I broke three fins in the feed. It's my own fault I know but it sucks. I have plastic feeds that never lost a fin, and this pen was only inked like 4 times, I'm not a brute, I swear, TWSBI is just too finicky for me . :butcher:
I have this simple Parker Insignia. I can take all apart, it cost 65 euros on a brick an mortar shop. It even has some slight flex and writes great with all inks...I'm off the TWSBI bandwagon.

I have done that before. It was a Stipula Passaporto. Stipula fixed it though. It was due to a improperly installed section seal.

fountainpenkid
May 10th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Hmmm... I wish they would just abandon that nib design altogether. Thanks for the heads up; I was quite close to trying this!

menunes
May 11th, 2013, 01:22 PM
I've bitten the bait again and ordered a new nib for the TWSBi, these boards make you ill, I say!:rant:

manoeuver
May 11th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Love that candor from Philip.

TWISBI isn't perfect by any stretch (who is?) but I really respect the way they interact with their customers. Unparalleled.

Turns out I'm pretty good at destroying many of their products, but I'll always try their new stuff.

chiaroscuro
May 14th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Several of us have ruined Mini nib units because of how extremely tight they are, especially relative to the 530/40/80 models. It doesn't seem to matter if your Mini has a Bock nib or the Jowo versions that were released later. There have been several threads about this on another board and TWSBI has, at least to me, acknowledged that the Mini nib assembly is much tighter (I'd say impossibly tight) because of differences in some manufacturing process. I think the best bet is knocking the feed out from behind while stabilizing the collar, instead of pulling, which frequently leads to bent nibs and broken fins.

As you'd expect, it's just as tough to get the nib back in (the second nib I ruined was a Jowo EF that I turned into a working "TWSBI Nagahara Concord" while trying to get it back in the collar).

I recently found a bit of a workaround, though: Instead of lining up the feed and the nib and trying to get them into the collar together, put the feed in first and then attempt to slip the nib in. If you meet too much resistance (it's very tight), reposition the feed and try again until you find a position where the nib will slide in easily, with the normal amount of fesistance in a friction-fit unit. You'll get good alignment too because the feeds have small vertical lines on the sides and a "step" which will insure perfect height position.

Annie
May 14th, 2013, 04:12 PM
I got my first mini today. Love it, love it, love it. After reading this, I will not be attempting to pull the nib and feed.

snedwos
September 15th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Glad I stopped to google this, I've been wrestling with the thing all afternoon. can move the nib side to side, but can't get purchase on it to pull it all out.

Oblique and Inky
September 15th, 2014, 03:18 PM
On the theme of a "TWSBI Nagahara Concord", has anyone tried to make a TWSBI Nagahara Cross Emperor?