PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Ochre

Chrissy
May 20th, 2016, 11:47 AM
My latest ink is Diamine Ochre

I've never used Diamine Ochre before. However I have received letters from penpals written with Conway Stewart Kingsand, that is the same ink, and I decided I really liked it. So I decided to try a sample. It's a saturated reddish ochre earth colour with plenty of shading. It's less red than Diamine Ancient Copper and looks darker and more brown than Diamine Terracotta and Montblanc Carlo Collodi. It's like dark sand on a sandy beach.
It wrote straight away without any hard starts or skipping. It lubricated the nib very well, but the flow felt slightly dry, as these red ochre type colours seem to be.

It's a very water resistant ink. I could still see all of the writing, even after over 30 minutes, and though I blotted my water test with a piece of kitchen roll, the ink dots in the centre of the water test were still legible.

Although this isn't a waterproof ink, it shows very good water resistance, as do many inks in this colour range.

Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny surface, and I used a Lamy F nib and a 1.1mm nib, this ink took 12-16 secs to dry. That's about average on this paper.

It felt maybe a little drier than some other inks I've reviewed, but still flowed and lubricated the nib well enough. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.

It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles

Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=14) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

It's a reasonable price.

rdcalhoon
May 20th, 2016, 12:53 PM
I like the looks of this ink, especially combined with water resistance. Thanks for yet another helpful ink review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KKay
May 20th, 2016, 01:23 PM
I wanted to try Kingsand eventually. If this is basically the same, that is very helpful. Looks like a very nice ink Chrissy!

Chrissy
May 20th, 2016, 03:37 PM
I wanted to try Kingsand eventually. If this is basically the same, that is very helpful. Looks like a very nice ink Chrissy!

You're welcome. :) Diamine Ochre and Conway Stewart Kingsand are the same. :)

fqgouvea
May 20th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Diamine Ochre and Conway Stewart Kingsand are the same. :)

Hi, Chrissy. How does one obtain that kind of information? Are all Conway-Stewart inks rebranded Diamine?

Chrissy
May 21st, 2016, 12:58 AM
Diamine Ochre and Conway Stewart Kingsand are the same. :)

Hi, Chrissy. How does one obtain that kind of information? Are all Conway-Stewart inks rebranded Diamine?

I got the information about Ochre from Diamine, but it is generally well known here that these
Conway Stewart inks (http://www.mvburke.com/inks.htm) are rebranded Diamine inks:
They were originally issued as a combination of both names.
C.S. Bodmin = D. Jet Black, C.S. St. Blazey = D. Classic Red, C.S. Kingsand = D. Ochre,
C.S. Tamar = D. Royal Blue, C.S. Tavy = D. Denim, C.S. Edgcumbe = D. Lavender