PDA

View Full Version : New from Sarasota, FL

Piadinha
May 21st, 2016, 03:03 PM
Hello all. I've recently started writing more and dipped my toe into fountain pens.

My boys are starting school next year and their Montessori school will be teaching them cursive. So I decided to see how out of practice my cursive writing was. It's atrocious!! So I started investigating how to improve my writing and I stumbled upon fountain pens.

I bought a Pilot Metropolitan to give fountain pens a shot, and have definitely caught the bug. I own that Metro and I added a FC Loom, and am slowly working my way through a dozen ink samples from Goulet. I even bought my wife a Lamy AL Star for Mothers Day!
I need to find a good professional blue-black color ink I like for work. Haven't bought a bottle of anything yet, still trying different options. Hoping to find a sample of Sailor Sei Boku as I really like the idea of blue blacks that lean more purple instead of green.

Thanks for all the great information and reviews.

Dan

snowbear
May 21st, 2016, 03:06 PM
Welcome aboard. The Pilot Metro is one my favorite every-day pens, along with the Lamy Safari.

Takasnooze
May 21st, 2016, 03:21 PM
I'm currently using Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite in my Lamy 2000 EF. I like it very much. It should be great for a work blue-black.

Piadinha
May 21st, 2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks Snowbear!

Takasnooze, how waterproof/tamper proof is that ink? I'm looking for something that is at least semi bulletproof. (Bullet resistant?)

SeminarianMike
May 21st, 2016, 03:30 PM
Greetings from Pittsburgh! My family has a house in longboat key so we are semi local ;)! I'm not a blue black person but ink of the witch by bung box is one of my fav inks! It's a black/purple! I here noodlers blue blacks are wonderful

God Bless You! Michael W. Howard

jar
May 21st, 2016, 05:10 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a Palmetto log and set a spell.

Anne
May 21st, 2016, 05:41 PM
Welcome Dan!

sharmon202
May 21st, 2016, 05:50 PM
A watchout I learned. I looked at all the beautiful samples people on this forum show us and reviews. They are wonderful. I used them to narrow down my choices. Then I had to see for myself as they may look very different in person depending on your pen/ink/paper combo. Had to see for my self for favorites. Welcome to the fun. Try Tomoe River paper early on. Welcome.

carlos.q
May 21st, 2016, 06:46 PM
:welcome:

For water resistant blue blacks I usually turn to:
Pilot BB
Pelikan 4001 BB - This has a bit of iron gall and you would have to buy it from a non-US seller.
R&K Salix - This is an IG ink
Sheaffer BB is cheap and has some water resistance.
I haven't tried Edelstein Tanzanite, but apparently it also has some resistance. It is also more expensive.

Piadinha
May 22nd, 2016, 05:34 AM
Carlos have you tried the R&K Dooumentus line? I cannot find any longer term reviews of those inks yet.

carlos.q
May 22nd, 2016, 05:52 AM
Carlos have you tried the R&K Dooumentus line? I cannot find any longer term reviews of those inks yet.
No I haven't. :noidea:
If I remember correctly from some reviews, these inks are completely waterproof but tend to feather a lot.

Frank
May 22nd, 2016, 05:01 PM
Welcome Dan! :welcome:

Glad to see someone, somewhere is still being taught cursive writing! ;-)

Regards,
Frank
(NJ school teacher..)

Hawk
May 22nd, 2016, 05:41 PM
Welcome.

Wahl
May 23rd, 2016, 11:09 AM
Hi Dan, :welcome:

DaveT
May 25th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Dan, hello and welcome from Indiana!