PDA

View Full Version : Sketching - How Do I Get Started?

VegHead
May 21st, 2016, 09:51 PM
Hi everyone, I've been really keen to try my hand at architectural sketching and I wouldn't mind some pointers from the learned here on FPG.

1. Pen. I was thinking along the lines of a TWSBI for an EF nib. Other choices?
2. Ink. Just black. Which brands? Do I need a 'permanent' ink if I'm going to add watercolours (maybe) afterwards?
3. Paper. What's recommended in pads?

I'm also in Australia so the ink side of things is a bit limited (e.g.: no Noodlers stockists)

Thanking you all in advance.

Veg.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 21st, 2016, 09:59 PM
For inks in Australia you can look into the Blackstone Inks and the Robert Oster Signature Inks. Both have some nice colours.

VegHead
May 21st, 2016, 10:54 PM
I like the Oster inks but as above, pretty much only blacks at the moment. Haven't tried Blackstone so maybe that's an option.

Tah.

snowbear
May 22nd, 2016, 04:47 AM
I make general sketches and like a standard drawing paper or the mixed media paper in weights from 60 to 98 lbs (89 to 160) g/sm). If I am going to ink in lines, then watercolor (or ink wash) over them, I will use acrylic ink and a dip pen (DO NOT put acrylic ink i a fountain pen).

By the way, stop over and try your hand at the weekly theme drawing thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/15861-The-Weekly-Drawing-Themed-prompts-for-Group-Members).

VegHead
May 22nd, 2016, 04:55 AM
I haven't heard of acrylic ink so I've learnt something already! Thanks for the reply snowbear.

Pira
May 22nd, 2016, 05:14 AM
You are in Australia ~ perfect for recommendations by the brilliant former architect / now an urban sketcher and art teacher: Liz Steel

http://www.lizsteel.com/sketching-architecture/

Her blog is terrific. She reviews materials (most importantly for you, what is available in your corner of the planet) and her blog is just plain a fantastic resource for all things drawing. Yes she uses watercolour but she also uses inks and her sketching tools page is second to none on the interwebs.

Oh and welcome. I hope you share your work with us :)

VegHead
May 23rd, 2016, 04:56 PM
Thanks Pira for the above link. I spent most of yesterday navigating through her blog and it has already answered all my questions in the original thread post :wave:

Cheers.

Pira
May 23rd, 2016, 05:35 PM
Thanks Pira for the above link. I spent most of yesterday navigating through her blog and it has already answered all my questions in the original thread post :wave:

Cheers.

Outstanding! Glad to have been of assistance. Have fun drawing! :D

VegHead
June 7th, 2016, 11:38 PM
The only permanent ink I could buy recently was MB permanent black, but it doesn't seem too permanent to me. Nice ink though. Should I just order a DeAtramentis PB? I can order this online fairly easily.

Also, the TWSBI Eco EF is just great, really happy with it!

Pira
June 8th, 2016, 04:29 AM
The only permanent ink I could buy recently was MB permanent black, but it doesn't seem too permanent to me. Nice ink though. Should I just order a DeAtramentis PB? I can order this online fairly easily.

Also, the TWSBI Eco EF is just great, really happy with it!

Do you have access to Platinum Carbon Black ink? From Japan, this is an excellent black drawing ink that is permanent but....although you can use it in fountain pens I highly recommend making a point of cleaning out your pen on a regular basis. Platinum does make a lovely series of very reasonably priced drawing pens that take cartridges with this ink (desk pens is what they call them)...I have used those for years, but some might find the shape of the pen not to their tastes. None the less...my favourite ink for drawing hands down...but I use a dip nib these days (I don't draw away from home much).

As for DeAtramentis...you should consider their Document inks (a wide range of colours) which are all SAFE for fountain pens and are permanent as well...they can be mixed. Lovely stuff if you can get it :)

VegHead
June 8th, 2016, 05:06 AM
Thanks again Pira. DA inks are very easy to buy online here in Oz whereas I cannot find a retailer for the Carbon Black.

Pira
June 8th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Thanks again Pira. DA inks are very easy to buy online here in Oz whereas I cannot find a retailer for the Carbon Black.

Have you considered Australian Ebay?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PLATINUM-Fountain-Pen-Carbon-Ink-BLACK-Bottle-60cc-Japan-Import-Japanese-/291725267347?hash=item43ec2e5193:g:OqwAAOSwdU1W~TZ s

That price is about what Canadians pay and a little goes a LOOOOOOOOONG way.

VegHead
June 8th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the link.

Pterodactylus
June 8th, 2016, 11:21 AM
My favorite drawing ink is ESS Registrars Blue-Black.

They ship it all over the world at a reasonable price:
http://www.registrarsink.co.uk/registrars_ink.html