PDA

View Full Version : Tiny sample vials and filling pens

Dragonmaster Lou
May 23rd, 2016, 11:29 AM
So a couple months ago, I got one of the last Goulet Ink Drop packages (their Christmas 2015 edition). One reason why I did it was because I don't go through so much ink, at least not as of yet, to have a huge stock of non-everyday blue/black/blue-black inks yet I still want to be able to play with funky ink colors. Going forward, I'll probably order their random ink samplers as well (or perhaps equivalents from other retailers, if I can find any -- any suggestions?).

Anyway, I've noticed that filling my pens from the vials has been nearly impossible using standard "stick the nib in, twist/squeeze/etc. whatever filling mechanism your pen uses, wipe nib off" method. The nib never seems to get submerged enough to be able to suck up any ink. I've turned to using a syringe to fill my converters, but this is somewhat annoying and won't work with piston/vacuum fillers.

Any suggestions on what I can do better or what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks.

katherine
May 23rd, 2016, 11:32 AM
I use a blunt syringe for most pens (this doesn't work so well with some lever fillers though). Otherwise, I tilt the vial so the feed/nib are in ink.

Some pens just aren't going to be able to get the ink out of the bottom -- and I reserve those ink-vial-dregs for pens that take cartridges/converters or have nibs that unscrew.

Wade
May 23rd, 2016, 01:29 PM
Look into the Ink Miser inkwells... two kinds, one is a standalone, one fits onto a certain size of bottles (Noodler's glass 3 oz to be specific, but apparently others fit as well). I picked up both from Goulet. I haven't used the bottle-fitting one yet, but used the standalone type yesterday for exactly the purpose you described, loading ink samples.

http://luxurybrandsusa.com/ink-miser/ink-miser-ink-shot-inkwell/

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2016, 01:43 PM
When the amount of ink in any container is small, it is simply a matter of physics. Whether it is an inkwell, a secondary well within a bottle or a sample vial, when the ink level gets too low to cover the nib all the way to a section lip on a piston/lever/button filler, you are SOL. If you can't use the dregs in that pen, you'll have to syringe it into a pen you can. It sounds like you are doing all you can, and have bumped into reality.

Anne
May 23rd, 2016, 02:17 PM
Also, you mentioned you were interested in other retailers that offer samples. Vanness Pens and Anderson Pens do that I know of off hand. With Vanness Pens, you just have to click on the color you like and click on the drop down arrow for a choice for the sample.

Dragonmaster Lou
May 23rd, 2016, 06:04 PM
Also, you mentioned you were interested in other retailers that offer samples. Vanness Pens and Anderson Pens do that I know of off hand. With Vanness Pens, you just have to click on the color you like and click on the drop down arrow for a choice for the sample.

I know quite a few retailers do offer samples. I've looked at Anderson, and I'm not surprised Vanness does as well. However, I guess what I'm looking for is a "surprise me" random sample grab bag, although I guess nothing stops me from coming up with my own scheme using "off the shelf" samples, so to speak... Hmm... wonder if I could write a script to do it...

Lady Onogaro
May 23rd, 2016, 07:50 PM

I know quite a few retailers do offer samples. I've looked at Anderson, and I'm not surprised Vanness does as well. However, I guess what I'm looking for is a "surprise me" random sample grab bag, although I guess nothing stops me from coming up with my own scheme using "off the shelf" samples, so to speak... Hmm... wonder if I could write a script to do it...

Goulet Pens does a random "surprise me" package of samples.

FredRydr
May 24th, 2016, 07:20 AM
When the amount of ink in any container is small, it is simply a matter of physics. Whether it is an inkwell, a secondary well within a bottle or a sample vial, when the ink level gets too low to cover the nib all the way to a section lip on a piston/lever/button filler, you are SOL. If you can't use the dregs in that pen, you'll have to syringe it into a pen you can. It sounds like you are doing all you can, and have bumped into reality.

Or buy a vintage eyedropper pen. ;-)

Fred

Anne
May 24th, 2016, 01:02 PM
It's a little risky, but I have read of some people having a sort of community bottle - where all remnants of ink are dumped.
I could see myself doing this! I say risky because you have to see how well everyone gets along in that bottle. Then use that in an easily cleaned eyedropper. Personally, I would put it in an Indian Airmail/Wality eyedropper or Serwex piston fillers that can come completely apart.
I really think syringes are the way to go. I always seem to be satisfied with the amount of ink I can clean out. In my more cheaper moments, I add a little water to a cartridge or vial just to completely use it up. OCD :)

Dragonmaster Lou
May 24th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Goulet Pens does a random "surprise me" package of samples.

Yep, I know. Mentioned that I'd get their "surprise me" packages in my original post, though I wasn't clear, perhaps. Just wondering if anyone else did "surprise me" packages.

Anne
May 27th, 2016, 01:14 AM

I just noticed that ipenstore has a surprise box that they offer subscriptions for too. It includes ink.

Pharmasweaves
May 27th, 2016, 09:08 AM
I always just stick the converter in there to fill directly (use gloves on thy fingers), then sit the pen out to let the feed saturate. Then I use a syringe on the second portion in my Vac700 by unscrewing the nib, then pulling the piston out just a bit so that I can put the blunt tip to the side to shoot it down the body of the pen.

Funnily enough, I don't think I use the actual vacuum mechanism on my pen for anything other than cleaning it out :-D

rafapa
May 28th, 2016, 12:51 AM
I prefer to attach a blunt needle to the converter (a standard one). You can see some photos here
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/292955-homemade-mosquito-filling-system/

Dragonmaster Lou
May 30th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Hmm, I have a couple syringes with blunt needles. Any idea if they'd work with non-standard international converters? Though I could try it next time...

rafapa
May 31st, 2016, 07:39 AM
Hmm, I have a couple syringes with blunt needles. Any idea if they'd work with non-standard international converters? Though I could try it next time...

I don't think so. The needle is female, a internarional converter is male. Sailor, Platinum and Pilot converter are female. Parker converter also male but bigger.