PDA

View Full Version : Sprung Nib?

SIR
May 25th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Not an expert myself, but something I noticed...

note the right hand tine, would we call that sprung?

Blue Note
May 25th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Not an expert myself, but something I noticed...

note the right hand tine, would we call that sprung?
It doesn't appear to be sprung, just slightly out of alignment. How does it write?

Biber
May 25th, 2016, 12:47 PM
If anything I'd think the left one looks out of whack. Note how it is straighter and flatter than the right one. In my experience most nibs have a gentle curve toward the tip. The left one looks like it may have been straightened. In my experience a truly sprung nob looks a bit different and usually is evident on both tines.

SIR
May 25th, 2016, 01:53 PM
It doesn't appear to be sprung, just slightly out of alignment. How does it write?

Writes beautifully smooth, smoothest I have ever used by a considerable degree, generous flow and moderate flex; but surely not what one would expect from a 'fully restored' pen though, right?
And those are the seller's photos which I had to pull up after write testing and noticing the nib, which I didn't notice prior to purchase.

tandaina
May 25th, 2016, 03:45 PM
That looks like a very tiny alignment issue. If a nib has been bent out of shape it often cannot be put back into perfect shape. If it writes well then I'd say that aboslutely fits fully restored as a description!

Chrissy
May 25th, 2016, 03:46 PM
I would call it misaligned. It's not what I would call a 'fully restored' pen though. :(

Farmboy
May 26th, 2016, 12:33 AM
Those are some really nice pictures.

SIR
May 26th, 2016, 02:14 AM
Thank you all.
I am glad it is not such an issue to necessitate a return!

Pterodactylus
May 26th, 2016, 06:55 AM
Do not try to repair what is not broken.
You say it write perfect, leave it as it is, what really count is the alignment of the tipping.
As it writes perfect I would not consider this as an issue at all, maybe a slight misalignment, but as said this has to be judged on the bottom side.
I would call it fully restored.

SIR
May 28th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Honour where honour is due, the original seller Hepworth Dixon (http://www.hepworthdixon.com/) (one good man and more than a few good pens) offered to have the pen (a late '50s MB 344) back and rectify the misalignment, but I opted to return it as an exchange against something else of their's which was even more to my liking, and now the 344 has had it's nib retuned and is back up for sale!