PDA

View Full Version : FS: Sheaffer Balance OS + Big Nib

penwash
May 26th, 2016, 06:50 AM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7378/27150822621_a16533eb36_c.jpg

I withdraw the pen from this FPGeeks classified. I left the picture above so everyone can follow the thread and see that I have been proven wrong regarding the cracks. And for the record, I have corrected the (then) description.

It was what happened next that pushed me to withdraw this ad.

stub
May 26th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Beautiful!

kirchh
May 26th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Note that this appears to be the standard size model, not the oversize. Also, the cap lip is cracked.

--Daniel

penwash
May 26th, 2016, 06:24 PM
Note that this appears to be the standard size model, not the oversize. Also, the cap lip is cracked.

--Daniel

I've seen OS size at 5-1/4 to 5-1/2 inches, other than the length, what else do you notice that makes you think it's a Standard size?

And the cap lip is not cracked, there isn't a single crack, it's just uneven but very smooth, not chipped. Exactly as I described above.

kirchh
May 26th, 2016, 06:50 PM
The oversize model is thicker.

Here's the crack:

https://danielkirchheimercom.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/image1.jpeg

sloegin
May 26th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Indeed it looks like a standard, but check the width of the cap. Autographs have 14k clip and band, Signature has 14k band.

kirchh
May 26th, 2016, 09:57 PM
There was no Signature model Balance, and no 14K clip/GF band model at the time this pen was made.

--Daniel

penwash
May 26th, 2016, 10:22 PM
So, you guys done kicking the tires?
Are you going to buy it or not?

:)

EDIT: To be fair, the observation is correct. There are 2 cracks in two places on the cap lip. So I've updated the description.

kirchh
May 26th, 2016, 11:58 PM

EDIT: To be fair, the observation is correct. There are 2 cracks in two places on the cap lip. So I've updated the description.
Still says it's an OS. it's not.

Daniel

penwash
May 27th, 2016, 05:00 AM

Daniel

On that one, I have two questions:
Are you the final authority on Sheaffer Balance Oversize?
Do you have documented knowledge on each and every variations and odd-ends short productions that they ever produced?

I've seen a Sheaffer Balance Standard (which unfortunately not mine, so I can't take a side-by-side picture), and this one is bigger (fatter) than that.

You know what. I don't even know why I didn't do this sooner. I'll withdraw the ad.

sloegin
May 27th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Will, Read this (http://www.enter-net.de/auktion/artikel/balance_e.htm), then measure your cap.

Jon Szanto
May 27th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Do you have documented knowledge on each and every variations and odd-ends short productions that they ever produced?

I've seen a Sheaffer Balance Standard (which unfortunately not mine, so I can't take a side-by-side picture), and this one is bigger (fatter) than that.

You know what. I don't even know why I didn't do this sooner. I'll withdraw the ad.

I wrote you privately with references on precise measurements for OS and the rest of the Balance line. The only reason I did that was so that you, as a seller, can portray your items accurately to the potential buyer, ensuring that your reputation is as intact as possible. It is up to you whether you care to work with hard data or not, but this isn't a trivial point: OS pens command a premium price, and you should be careful to not imply it is an OS if it really isn't. That affects not only your sale price, but the value that a buyer might be assuming for their collection.

kirchh
May 27th, 2016, 10:47 AM

Daniel

I don't know what "final" authority would mean here, but I am one of the experts on that model. However, it's rather easy for anyone who has handled a variety of Balances to make the same determination about your erroneous identification that I made; one does not need to be "the final authority" to make the same observation.

I don't understand the question.

You said your pen was the oversize model, but it's not; it's too thin, so it's the standard-girth model (H75TC, to be precise). What do "odd-ends short productions" have to do with that?

No it's not. Yours is the standard-girth Balance, not the oversize model. Perhaps the other pen to which you refer was the slender model.

Probably a good idea; you can re-list it with the proper identification of the model and the newly-discovered damage.

You can simply measure the diameter of the cap band and post that measurement here. That should help you learn about the sizes of the different models of Balance.

--Daniel

penwash
May 27th, 2016, 11:10 AM

Daniel

I don't know what "final" authority would mean here, but I am one of the experts on that model. However, it's rather easy for anyone who has handled a variety of Balances to make the same determination about your erroneous identification that I made; one does not need to be "the final authority" to make the same observation.

I don't understand the question.

You said your pen was the oversize model, but it's not; it's too thin, so it's the standard-girth model (H75TC, to be precise). What do "odd-ends short productions" have to do with that?

No it's not. Yours is the standard-girth Balance, not the oversize model. Perhaps the other pen to which you refer was the slender model.

Probably a good idea; you can re-list it with the proper identification of the model and the newly-discovered damage.

You can simply measure the diameter of the cap band and post that measurement here. That should help you learn about the sizes of the different models of Balance.

--Daniel

Thank you very much, Daniel.
I appreciate you educating me.
Please forgive me being a bit defensive. :)

EDIT: I will not be listing this pen again here, but I have corrected my description on the ad for this pen on my website. And I credit you to show my appreciation.

Will

penwash
May 27th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Will, Read this (http://www.enter-net.de/auktion/artikel/balance_e.htm), then measure your cap.

Yes, sir! Thank you for the link.

I wrote you privately with references on precise measurements for OS and the rest of the Balance line. The only reason I did that was so that you, as a seller, can portray your items accurately to the potential buyer, ensuring that your reputation is as intact as possible. It is up to you whether you care to work with hard data or not, but this isn't a trivial point: OS pens command a premium price, and you should be careful to not imply it is an OS if it really isn't. That affects not only your sale price, but the value that a buyer might be assuming for their collection.

Yes, sir! I know you're looking out for me.

I have thanked Daniel and I appreciate him giving me more knowledge about the brand that I love.

All good, that is if Daniel would accept my apology. :)

Sandy Fry
May 28th, 2016, 05:15 AM
@Penwash

Sir, I want to commend you on not taking the observations and comments of the other posters as a personal attack on you. I also commend you for having the courage to admit that you were wrong and apologizing for it. If there were more of that attitude on the forums maybe some of the nastiness I have seen in several threads on the forums, could have been avoided.

Well done sir.

David

penwash
May 28th, 2016, 08:39 AM
David,
Thank you for the undeserved kind words.

Truth is, I did take Daniel's comment as a personal attack, that is why I had to apologize to him.

One thing that I learned much too late in life, which may be useful for others:

Every second I *don't* apologize for my mistakes because of pride and embarrassment, I am fueling the hate for the person who pointed it out. This hate will eventually poison anything about that person in my mind, and at the same time, it occupies much of my time and energy, for what? For absolutely nothing beneficial. Hate is a terrifying menace.

When I *do* apologize, yes it stings (ego-wise), but it's like unwinding an overworked spring. It feels like a boulder has been lifted from my shoulder, now I am free once more. Plus, from now on, I can always send a note to Daniel asking him about Sheaffer pens by this opening line "remember that idiot..." and (hopefully) we get a good laugh from it.

It's amazing how far those two paths diverge. It is true as it's written in the book of Proverbs in the bible: "Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all wrongs"