PDA

View Full Version : looking at a Parker 45

dmitch86
May 29th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Just curious what a reasonable price is to pay for a Parker 45? Looking at one on eBay right now. I have never bought a "vintage" pen or a parker. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for or asking?

stub
May 29th, 2016, 11:16 PM
A lot of variables here. Is it an all plastic Arrow/45? Flighter? Insignia? Coronet or run of the mill classic plastic with steel cap?

Then there are nibs: Alloy? Gold Plated? 10k? 12k? 14k? USA or UK?

Top of the mountain would be a Insignia/Coronet/Flighter. Those go for more, especially the Coronets and then you have the special editions like the Harlequin. So anywhere from $5 to $200 and beyond.

You can get a run of the mill steel nib steel cap basic color 45 for $30 or cheaper often. About $40 to $100 on various flighters and Insignia pens. In-between are classic metal cap pens that have gold nibs, though you can occasionally get lucky on those too.

Look for dings on the cap and distorted hoods. Most of mine are mildly warped from the cap and do not effect function but some sections are badly dented from the cap cluch rings.

Performance is all over the map and partly luck of the draw. I have 45s that write like crap, dry scratchy and others that are dreamy. Depends on how mean the previous owner was.

A most helpful site is:

http://pencollect.co.uk/parker45.htm

amk
May 30th, 2016, 01:33 AM
Stub is right. Lots of 45s out there and you need to know just what you're getting. Or, the price needs to be cheap enough for you not to care what you're getting. (I always buy cheap, ink-clogged junk shop pens on the basis that the nib will be steel, and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised.)

My dozen or so 45s all write quite nicely, though some have needed a lot of flushing to get the ink to flow.

On nibs; fine and medium are pretty usual. If you get a shot at a broader or italic nib, grab it; they're not that easy to find.

Colours: black is normal, olive seems pretty common from my experience, but the brighter colours ('happy colours') are less easy to find and a bit dearer. I believe Argentina produced some rather nice colours of 45 (officially, not Kullocks).

jbb
May 30th, 2016, 06:38 AM
I've gotten Parker 45s on ebay on the low side ($5- $15). The great thing about them is that they usually work after just some flushing with water. The gold (looking) nibs are nicer than the steel ones in my opinion and try to get one that already has a converter.

Runnin_Ute
May 30th, 2016, 07:09 PM
I paid $15 for a Flighter with a 14k nib once. But have paid up to about $30 whether they were Flighter or regular models. I even paid under about $30 for a desk set with nice wooden base. It dates to about 1968 according to a brass emblem on the lid. I haven't used it in a while though. I have four others (2 Flighters, 2 standard)

Larry Barrieau
May 31st, 2016, 05:45 AM
Nice site stub, thanks.

stub
May 31st, 2016, 06:36 AM
I'll admit that there is the groovy 60's design fan part of me that REAL wants a Harlequin. But no way i'd pay current prices on those.

Avoid: Parker 45 Special. The one with the cabochon. Not as good as the rest (imo).

dmitch86
May 31st, 2016, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the link, looks like I've got some reading to do.

pajaro
May 31st, 2016, 10:22 AM
I would want these cheap, or just keep looking. I like the 60s joy of this style. Good for looking at.

ac12
May 31st, 2016, 01:05 PM
Hey, you can't call a 45 'vintage,' I used the 45 in college.
OK, you are probably a lot younger than me.

Hawk
May 31st, 2016, 03:30 PM

I can be called vintage. Usually an old fart.

penwash
May 31st, 2016, 04:54 PM
I absolutely love Parker 45 as a pen.
The design and removable nib unit is just awesome.

I've said this often. If Parker ever made a 45 nib unit with 51 body (original spec., none of these modern *meh* versions), I'll be all over it.

amk
June 1st, 2016, 03:41 AM
I don't know if the nib unit quite fits the 51 aesthetic... but I do know what you mean, penwash. The 51 just feels right when you hold it, nicely heavy, lovely material, a super shine - the 45 doesn't have quite the same quality feeling to it though it is a serviceable and enjoyable pen.

pajaro
June 2nd, 2016, 10:07 AM

I can be called vintage. Usually an old fart.

I second that. The 45 is "vintage." Heck, the Montblanc 144s I used when I was working are said to be vintage. It is shocking to the system, though, to read of the 51s, 45s and other pens that were tools of your life described as "vintage." The next step is antique. Time passes, though, and, as fountain pens pass from general use, as they have for almost fifty years, the stuff made today is like tourist trap souvenirs.

dmitch86
June 2nd, 2016, 02:18 PM
Well... I just won the auction so will soon be the proud owner of my first Parker. Hopefully you guys don't think I was ripped...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Parker-45-Fountain-Pen-Camouflaged-Rambo-Era-Argentina-6040-/231957013373?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=GupoSOJjwJGGvUj%252BrACJrDerNk4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I have been wanting a "camo" pen for a while now, and love the look of this pen. I am also a big fan of the two tone metal on the cap. I'll get some other pics once I get it.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2ynqt6r.jpg