PDA

View Full Version : Restoring discoloured ebonite cap and barrel

da vinci
May 31st, 2016, 10:51 PM
I am considering a fairly expensive purchase of a rare pen made of ebonite. It has seen too much sunlight (I think) and the ebonite has discoloured to a kind of brown along one half of the pen.

The side of the pen not exposed to sunlight and the section remain black. This is a fairly modern pen. The pen is about the size of a MB149.

I am not a diy type of person. I understand there are various creams out there that might fix this problem but I would want the restoration carried out professionally.

Can anyone give me an idea as to the likelihood that a successful restoration can be done and what it might cost (feel free to pm). I appreciate that no one can give me an exact figure or be held to what they say. I am looking for a feel for the potential risks involved.

TIA.

Farmboy
June 1st, 2016, 07:38 AM
I would not purchase a fairly faded example of a fairly expensive fairly modern pen unless the purchase price had a fairly high discount.

jar
June 1st, 2016, 07:59 AM
Remember there really is no way to restore the pen. The ebonite can be buffed to remove material or it can be painted/dyed to cover the discoloration but I don't know of anyway to actually restore the original surface. Unless it's a really unusual pen or near free in initial cost this might best be a pass.

da vinci
June 1st, 2016, 02:29 PM
Thanks both for your replies - I see I need to work on my writing skills :)

Farmboy, there is a decent discount on offer but having read your comments perhaps not enough.

Jar thank you for being precise - I hadn't thought of the position in that way. That has given me a perspective on the situation.

rpsyed
June 1st, 2016, 11:07 PM
Is it a raw ebonite Danitrio?

oldstoat
June 2nd, 2016, 03:11 AM
I know little about anything and less about ebonite, but a technique used to restore old faded plastic and rubber seals on vintage cars involves heating them with a heat gun or, for the faint-hearted, a hairdryer. Various tyre and bumper restorative products can then be used. Has anyone tried this with ebonite?

da vinci
June 2nd, 2016, 01:47 PM
Is it a raw ebonite Danitrio?

No rpsyed, not a Japanese pen.

swisspens
July 3rd, 2016, 03:32 AM
To restore ebonite to it's former glory, without having to polish it nor having to use dyes/paints there is a brand new product on the market, made by Mark Hoover (La Belle Epoque Pens). You just have to dip your pen for 20 minutes into his solution, remove the excess, and voilą.
Many positive reviews are coming, and I honestly believe it's the best you can find without doing any harm to your pens.
Have a look at his website:
http://www.lbepen.com

Cheers,