PDA

View Full Version : SOLD Pelikan 400NN barrel and cap (no nib). Uncommon click-type cap.

vPro
June 1st, 2016, 05:52 AM
For sale is a Pelikan 400 NN barrel and cap. The pen dates to 1958 due to the rather uncommon 'click' - type cap which is an extra security to prevent the cap from unscrewing itself inside your pocket. To my knowledge, this cap design was only used for one year where after it was discontinued.

The piston turning knob does not lie flush with the barrel (about a 3mm gap) but the piston mechanism works well and operates smoothly. EDIT: I have fixed the piston and it now lies flush with the barrel as it is supposed to

The cap has microscratches and a bit of brassing on the clip. No hairline cracks which is common on vintage Pelikan caps.

The barrel is in good condition and with great clarity. Only issue is the fact that the piston turning knob doesn't lie flush with the barrel. Please see pictures. This issue is no longer present.

http://imgur.com/a/i5wXG

Taking OFFERS. Please add $6 for uninsured, untracked shipping from Denmark or $18 for tracked and uninsured shipping (Tracked shipping to Canada costs twice that :( ).

Curtisvan
June 1st, 2016, 01:56 PM
Untracked and uninsured? That doesn't inspire confidence

carlc
June 1st, 2016, 02:19 PM
Untracked and uninsured? That doesn't inspire confidence

Maybe tracked and insured is available if you ask.
In the end it's the buyers choice

Pterodactylus
June 1st, 2016, 02:39 PM
Never heard about a 400NN with a snap cap, I also can´t find any reference about this.
Can you please post a reference where this is described?
Your pen has also the screw on threads on the barrel.
I don't want to discourage you, but at this price you can shoot in Europe a complete and functional pen some time if you are patient.

We could also discuss if hairline cracks are common on vintage Pelikan caps or not, IMO they are not common.

vPro
June 1st, 2016, 03:23 PM
Wow I have never been met with this much critiscism.
Here's to all of you; tracked and insured is available, it's thrice the cost and you're more than welcome to choose it if you so prefer. For Canada, it's 5 times the cost. Those who have bought from me in the past KNOW that I take several pictures of every single shipment to prove that I've sent it and I haven't had any issues till date.

Never heard about a 400NN with a snap cap, I also can´t find any reference about this.
Can you please post a reference where this is described?
Your pen has also the screw on threads on the barrel.
I don't want to discourage you, but at this price you can shoot in Europe a complete and functional pen some time if you are patient.

We could also discuss if hairline cracks are common on vintage Pelikan caps or not, IMO they are not common.

Could you please clarify where in the OP you read 'snap cap'? There are obviously threads on the barrel :) And here's your reference: https://thepelikansperch.com/2014/10/12/pelikans-secure-locking-cap/

As for the price, yeah, you're probably right and I'll drop the price. As for how common hairline cracks are, I wonder how many Pelikans you've handled to say that if you haven't come across a 'secure locking cap' before. Please read section 4 in this article:
https://thepelikansperch.com/2015/06/22/choosing-pelikan-fountain-pen/

4) The 400/N/NN as well as other models of that time had a metal liner inside of the cap. This performed its function of preventing the nib from drying out beautifully but, unfortunately, as the plastic of the cap has shrunk over time, the metal liner has not. This has resulted in hairline cracks (referred to as hairlines) in many caps which is a common and well documented problem. It should be looked for prior to purchase but small hairlines won’t affect functionality or harm anything.

Thanks everybody for the input, I hope this post clarifies what needs to be clarified. OP has been adjusted accordingly with regards to price and shipping options.

All the best,
vPro

farmdogfan
June 1st, 2016, 04:42 PM
I am just curious, do you use "postdanmark" for shipping?

Regards Per.

vPro
June 1st, 2016, 05:13 PM
I am just curious, do you use "postdanmark" for shipping?

Regards Per.

Yes I do. Usually with regular mail or registered mail. For some odd reason (possibly due to the gold nib or value) my local post office won't allow me to send a fountain pen as a 'registered letter' to Canada. Instead, I have to use the more expensive 'Package' shipping method.

Pterodactylus
June 1st, 2016, 11:34 PM
Thanks for your Information, I misunderstood your description, I thought you meant a snap cap. .)

I own quite a bunch of vintage Pelikan pens and consider the 40s-50s Pelikans as some of the best pens ever made.