PDA

View Full Version : Next-step-up gift for Metro user

CanardRoublard
June 3rd, 2016, 08:51 AM
Hi fountain pen geeks! My father's birthday is coming up this summer, and as I would like to thank him for introducing me to the wonderful world of fountain pens, I thought I might get him a new pen. He currently uses a Pilot Cocoon which after 6 years of frequent posting is looking quite dog-eared around its end and (imho) a bit unbecoming for a professional. We have chatted enough about pens that I feel confident I can purchase something he will like and use. To this end, I have prepared some criteria and a potential shortlist of pens, but would love some suggestions about any pens I may be overlooking, or opinions from among my list. My criteria in searching have been:

Nib no broader than a Pilot F. He has tried my Lamy F nibs and finds them too broad. So needs to come in Japanese fine or western extra-fine.
Must post well and easily
To wit, snap cap is preferred over screw-on
Nothing oversized, brightly coloured or otherwise ostentatious. Small, elegant, professional. No demonstrators.
Large ink capacity would be a bonus. He has said he often runs out of ink from his Cocoon using a Con-50. Not critical, though. No refilling cartridges for extra capacity.
Smooth, stiff nib. No flex.
$100 Canadian (roughly $77 USD) is my max budget
Ordering from within Canada, such as from Wonder Pens, would be greatly preferred. Don't want to order from the US unless unavoidable. Can order from Rakuten if need be.

My current candidates, based on this list.

Pilot Metro
Pros: I know he likes it! Affordable enough that it's not heartbreaking to replace after the finish gets destroyed through posting
Cons: Unexciting

Pilot Grance NC
Pros: I also know he would like this, as he has borrowed mine and said he liked it (though he found the softer gold nib to be an adjustment)
Cons: Will have to order from Japan (not a deal breaker); weird having two in the family?

Pilot Stella/Stargazer
Pros: Body shape seems closer to the Metro than the Grance (which is very skinny and a bit longer)
Cons: Over-budget even from Rakuten, would need to order from Japan for decent price

TWSBI Classic
Pros: Can order domestically, larger ink capacity (I think?)
Cons: Screw-on cap; heard talk of some TWSBI's cracking but I think that was just the demonstrators?

Faber-Castell Ambition
Pros: Can order domestically
Cons: Maybe a little too flashy-looking with the metal cap? Definitely a very different look than the Cocoon

Anyways, your feedback on my list would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dragonmaster Lou
June 3rd, 2016, 10:59 AM
This would require ordering from Japan (Rakuten, Engeika) or Amazon US (not sure about Amazon Canada), but how about a Pilot Custom 74 or Custom Heritage 91. Both can be had for about $80US if you know where to look (although the "official" distribution prices in the US lists the 74 at about $160US and the 91 isn't even available outside of Japan). They both have classic body shapes and have 14K gold nibs.

katherine
June 3rd, 2016, 12:04 PM
Perhaps a Prera? Doesn't post very snugly though.

Kaputnik
June 3rd, 2016, 06:02 PM
You might look at the Sheaffer 100. Don't know about availability at Canadian dealers, but would expect someone to have it. Price in the US is around $40, so I can't imagine it being that much more where you are. Snap cap, should come with the proprietary converter and a cartridge or two, but ask. I have one in the all metal version, but it also comes in plastic. Definitely go for the fine nib, though. One reason mine doesn't get used as much as it might is that I find the medium a bit broader than I prefer.

ac12
June 3rd, 2016, 10:30 PM
A Parker 51 :)
Though it might be tight on your budget.
But to get a specific nib, you need to order it from a seller that KNOWS his 51s, as the nib size is not marked on the pen. And preferably will be able to swap in the nib you prefer. A Parker F nib is what you want. The old US Parker F nib is similar in width to the Japanese F nibs, and a Lamy XF nib.

Lady Onogaro
June 3rd, 2016, 11:27 PM
What about a Ranga from Peyton Street Pens? The nibs are German, but you can ask for an extra fine if you think he won't like the line. Teri has a number of models that have a large ink capacity. She has recently advertised the Monterey, which is a slip cap pen like the F-C Model 20.

Here's the link to it: http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/range-indian-ebonite/psp-monterey.html

She also often sends a nice little thank you present. Plus the pen is well within your price range.

I have a Capitola which I like a lot: http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/psp-capitola-fountain-pen-ebonite-jowo-nibs-cartridge-converter.html

At any rate, there are a lot of choices of models, and one may look interesting to your dad: http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/range-indian-ebonite.html

scrivelry
June 4th, 2016, 05:41 AM
I can second Peyton Street Pens as a great place. Terri helped me out with a part so that I could salvage a pen of mine I had managed to break - the customer service was incredible, and she was only doing me a favor - I can only imagine that all her purchasers are well taken care of.

Runnin_Ute
June 6th, 2016, 07:07 PM
I don't have one, but it fits your budget (have come close to buying one a couple of times though)- a Platinum 3776. Comes in black, Chartres Blue and Bourgogne. The ones I saw on Amazon through a Japanese sellers ran in the USD $70-80 range. I was looking at the Bourgogne color. I have enough black pens. You may need to buy the converter separate though. (<$10 US)

TAYLORPUPPY
June 6th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Hi fountain pen geeks! My father's birthday is coming up this summer, and as I would like to thank him for introducing me to the wonderful world of fountain pens, I thought I might get him a new pen. He currently uses a Pilot Cocoon which after 6 years of frequent posting is looking quite dog-eared around its end and (imho) a bit unbecoming for a professional. We have chatted enough about pens that I feel confident I can purchase something he will like and use. To this end, I have prepared some criteria and a potential shortlist of pens, but would love some suggestions about any pens I may be overlooking, or opinions from among my list. My criteria in searching have been:

Nib no broader than a Pilot F. He has tried my Lamy F nibs and finds them too broad. So needs to come in Japanese fine or western extra-fine.
Must post well and easily
To wit, snap cap is preferred over screw-on
Nothing oversized, brightly coloured or otherwise ostentatious. Small, elegant, professional. No demonstrators.
Large ink capacity would be a bonus. He has said he often runs out of ink from his Cocoon using a Con-50. Not critical, though. No refilling cartridges for extra capacity.
Smooth, stiff nib. No flex.
$100 Canadian (roughly $77 USD) is my max budget
Ordering from within Canada, such as from Wonder Pens, would be greatly preferred. Don't want to order from the US unless unavoidable. Can order from Rakuten if need be.

My current candidates, based on this list.

Pilot Metro
Pros: I know he likes it! Affordable enough that it's not heartbreaking to replace after the finish gets destroyed through posting
Cons: Unexciting

Pilot Grance NC
Pros: I also know he would like this, as he has borrowed mine and said he liked it (though he found the softer gold nib to be an adjustment)
Cons: Will have to order from Japan (not a deal breaker); weird having two in the family?

Pilot Stella/Stargazer
Pros: Body shape seems closer to the Metro than the Grance (which is very skinny and a bit longer)
Cons: Over-budget even from Rakuten, would need to order from Japan for decent price

TWSBI Classic
Pros: Can order domestically, larger ink capacity (I think?)
Cons: Screw-on cap; heard talk of some TWSBI's cracking but I think that was just the demonstrators?

Faber-Castell Ambition
Pros: Can order domestically
Cons: Maybe a little too flashy-looking with the metal cap? Definitely a very different look than the Cocoon

Anyways, your feedback on my list would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Yeah, the Classic is the one TWSBI that I've never heard any stories of cracking. Out of the pens you've listed, I like the classic