PDA

View Full Version : CA101 a good pen?

edteach
June 4th, 2016, 03:24 PM
I have a chance to pick up a CA 101 in good condition for 5 bucks. Seems like a nice pen what is the value of it in very good to excellent condition?

Farmboy
June 4th, 2016, 09:04 PM
You are find paying 5 skins for a 101.

edteach
June 5th, 2016, 04:07 AM
You are find paying 5 skins for a 101.

Is that too much?

edteach
June 5th, 2016, 04:30 AM
After buying the pen and taking photos of it,I believe I misidentified it. Its a CX100 the Esterbrook school pen. I paid the 5 bucks no tax. After soaking it in warm water and a bit of soap for a while it cleaned up nice.

Jon Szanto
June 5th, 2016, 06:19 AM
When trying to assess value on such low-end pens, you really have to (maybe) not wonder so much about your out of pocked costs. The pen only cost a couple of bucks when it was new, it only cost you a couple of bucks now. If it doesn't cost hardly anything to make it run, and you get some use out of it, it's a bit of a no-brainer. If you come across pens like this and you spend $50, then you haven't done your homework. In this instance, it is probably a wash, if you want a vintage pen.

edteach
June 5th, 2016, 06:33 AM
I see these on Ebay for 15 to 40 bucks. Cleaned it tried it out and can say it writes nice. I love the so called school pens. my go to pen now is a Sheaffer mint green 50s version. They must be like across the board as they don't sit around for a buck on ebay.

Jon Szanto
June 5th, 2016, 06:48 AM
I see these on Ebay for 15 to 40 bucks.

Are you quoting "asking" price, or "sold" price? The thing is, with Esterbrooks, a lot of the price is tied up in the nib, so very similar pens will be offered for different prices depending on the nib (though I can't tell if this pen takes the screw-in Esterbrook nibs). I wouldn't even pay $15 for a pen like that, and anything higher could get you vintage J series pens. All that matters is that you get a pen you like, and in this instance you haven't spent too much.

edteach
June 5th, 2016, 07:32 AM
I have 4 of the so called school pens. One was given to me at an antique store, two I paid 4 bucks each for and one the Esterbrook I paid 5 for. I see bids go 10 bucks plus 3 to 5 sipping on these all day long on eBay. If you can find one shipped for 5 or under I sure can not. I would not pay even 10 bucks for one unless it was some color that I just had to have. My Esterbrook cleaned up nice and as I liquefied the dry ink I did write with it. Its writes very nice. They make great every day pens. I would say if anyone wants one to keep an eye out at flea markets and some on eBay. But to be honest things go most of the time be it Gillette shavers or pens on eBay for more than I am willing to pay.

gregamckinney
June 5th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Also, if you are looking at the CA/A-101's, you have a nice writing pen pretty much right out of the (ebay) box if you pick up an A-101. With the CA-101, you need to be sure you have or find a cart you can refill.
My "amazing" CA-101 find turns out to be this one. The CA/A pens are easy to find in the five normal colors, but surprisingly difficult to find in white:

http://www.gergyor.com/images/estie_ca101_white.jpg

Best Regards, greg

edteach
June 6th, 2016, 05:48 AM
I don't have a ctg. for it. I know they have old stock on ebay but I could also use it as an eye dropper pen.

pajaro
June 6th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I have a Sheaffer red translucent barrel school pen that came with the steel cap of one of these Esterbrook school pens. The Esterbrook cap works perfectly on the Sheaffer pen.