PDA

View Full Version : hi everyone advice for pen needed .

SEBENZA
January 18th, 2013, 06:06 PM
hi great forum cant wait to get reading , bit late tonight but now ive found ill take a good look through .

ive recently been doing a lot of writing for my work, i borrowed a freinds fountain pen as to me it makes writing a lot more fun and interesting .
it also makes my writing neater somehow , anyway the pen ive been using is a parker frontier , now the pen writes fantastic i have no faults with it writing wise or comfort wise , it just does not appeal to me the cigar shaped style of pens ,i dont know why just personal preference i suppose .

This is the style of on pen that appeals to me , jinhao 650 i dont know anything about this pen just that i like its shape and style .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/jinhao-650-High-grade-Shell-black-Medium-nib-fountain-pen-new-/260883313402?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PensPencils_Writing Equipment_SM&hash=item3cbddb72fa

i also like the lamy safari ,but i have one on the way now already so bit late to ask your advice on this one.

id love these pens to write as well as the frontier , if anyone could advise me on my first choices
or could add more to the mix ,ie pens that write as well as the frontier or better if possible with this style of design .
resonably priced say £30/40 max to begin with .

anyway its late sothanks in advance for any reply

regards

SEBENZA
January 19th, 2013, 08:39 AM
anyone ?

fpquest
January 19th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I don't know much (or really anything) about the Jinhao pens but Stephen Brown (http://www.youtube.com/user/sbrebrown/videos?query=jinhao) has reviews of several of their models on youtube.

I think the Lamy Safari is a good choice but can't help much on the style your looking for as it's one that doesn't really appeal to me.

SEBENZA
January 19th, 2013, 01:01 PM
thanks for reply i am looking forward to trying the lamy , what styles are you interested in if you dont mind me asking ?

yes ive found a company that do a lot of my favorite sorts of pen style called pelican but they are mighty expensive ,ok thanks where do i view stephens reviews .

doh sorry i always miss them sorts if links .

SEBENZA
January 19th, 2013, 06:18 PM
think im might have found my holy grail pen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PELIKAN-M200-BLUE-fountain-pen-B-nib-/140905945834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cea61aea

if i can win one for £50 or less i think this might be it , anyone owned one , ill checkout you tube vids tomorrow ,

thanks .

Bogon07
January 19th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Hi Sebenza & welcome to the forum. Good luck with your Pelikans. Don't forget to factor in postage on eBay. They have quite a following, check out the Pelikan sub-form under pens here. Jinhao seem to make some pretty good pens for the price. I have a Jinhao X450 & several Jinhao15 pens all write well and are nicely made in fact I just order another Jinhoa15 in metallic red this morning.

fpquest
January 19th, 2013, 07:10 PM
thanks for reply i am looking forward to trying the lamy , what styles are you interested in if you dont mind me asking ?

My tastes change with time. I've always liked cigar shaped pens and I've recently acquired a taste for desk pens. Most of my pens are a single color, except for some ebonite ones where I like like a mix. I pretty much like any pen made of ebonite, it's a weakness.

snedwos
January 19th, 2013, 08:04 PM
think im might have found my holy grail pen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PELIKAN-M200-BLUE-fountain-pen-B-nib-/140905945834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cea61aea

if i can win one for £50 or less i think this might be it , anyone owned one , ill checkout you tube vids tomorrow ,

thanks .

That's an excellent choice. I have an M215, although it's back at the shop to have the nib fixed under warranty. The good thing about the Pelikan Classic and Souverän ranges is that the nibs can be unscrewed and replaced easily. If you wanted to upgrade to a gold nib in the future, an M400 nib would fit.

SEBENZA
January 20th, 2013, 04:28 AM
ok thanks a lot everyone i think im pretty much set now on pelikan .

fountainpenkid
January 20th, 2013, 07:02 AM
ok thanks a lot everyone i think im pretty much set now on pelikan .

Great to hear! They are awesome pens!

mrchan
January 24th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I recommend a Noodler's Ahab to get you into the world of flex! Get it, clean it, and flex it!

KrazyIvan
January 24th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I have several Jinhao's and the one you linked seems to be based off the Century model. Jinhao, while a fairly good Chinese brand of pen has quality control issues. I mainly started buying them because they were cheap nib grinding practice pens. Out of all the Jinhao's I have, I feel the 159 is the best constructed and has the boldest smoothest nib. If you like tinkering and learning more about fountain pens, get a Jinhao and use it for practice. Pelikan will be a much higher quality pen, from personal experience.

Trixie.in.Dixie
March 7th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Just to throw in my two cents: I recently purchased a Jinhao X750 as well as a Duke "Gentleman" pen, which looks like it might be the exact same pen with slightly different details. Both are magnificent pens, and worked flawlessly from the first inking. If you like large, weighty pens, these are wonderful. I will definitely look into purchasing more. The price is right as well - only $16 and free shipping - not bad at all...

southpaw52
March 8th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Greetings and welcome to Geekdom. I have several Jinaho they decent pens for the pen.