PDA

View Full Version : I am the Flattest

Gregg111
June 7th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Wondering what you all think is the notebook that lies the flattest. Right now I use Aqua Drops from Lihit Labs which I got from Amazon and/or JetPens. Excellent quality paper for FPs. And has twist ring, so you can remove sheets. But it would be nice to have a notebook that was flat enough that I didn't have to remove paper to write on it then re insert. Looking at the Habana but haven't purchased yet. Using 3 TWSBI mini vacs, a TWSBI 580 all with broad nib.

carlos.q
June 7th, 2016, 09:02 AM
:welcome: Welcome to FPGeeks!

When I need a notebook that lies completely flat I'll use a Black n' Red spiral bound notebook. It has FP friendly paper and it's cheaper than Rhodia or Clairefontaine. :thumb:

Dragonmaster Lou
June 7th, 2016, 11:04 AM

When I need a notebook that lies completely flat I'll use a Black n' Red spiral bound notebook. It has FP friendly paper and it's cheaper than Rhodia or Clairefontaine. :thumb:

Sadly, they aren't available in graph ruled. :(

migo984
June 7th, 2016, 01:10 PM

Sadly, they aren't available in graph ruled. :(

I haven't seen them in scientific graph ruled but they are available with 5mm quadrille (square) ruled paper, at least in the UK. In A4 and A5, with 140 pages, micro-perforated sheets.

stub
June 9th, 2016, 07:14 PM
The soft cover Leuchtturm1917 lay nice and flat.

snoopy
June 10th, 2016, 04:45 PM
The Montblanc 'Notes' books lay very flat, but they are quite thin (roughly 110 pages). Some have said the older ones feathered a bit, but the more recent ones are fine (what I've used). The cover has a really nice tactile texture too.

Marsilius
June 11th, 2016, 12:23 AM
Rhodia has spiral pads with square grids, but they are not full size paper, IIRC.

inklord
June 11th, 2016, 07:05 AM
For me, Rhodia or Clairefontaine school notebooks do the trick - they have only 96 pages, but that's easily remedied by just bringing a spare notebook along. the individual books being less bulky also allows for more flex (you can roll them up with a rubber band around) and they are easier to carry. Calirefontaine come in square ruled fashion, as do the very similar budget-brand German school notebooks. Sizes are A6-A4.

Scooby921
August 3rd, 2016, 08:16 AM
Most any spiral bound notebook is going to lie nice and flat. The question becomes how large is the spiral binding (how many pages) and how much of an impediment does it become when your hand hits it and you have to adjust to go up and over. For this I have to say the Apica side bound are great as the wire binding is low profile. My Rhodia and Black n' Red notebooks have a much larger binding which gets to be annoying. It put me into a temporary bind as I really like the Black n' Red paper quality and notebook. It's cheaper and has better paper than Rhodia. I recently bought one of the hardcover case bound Black n' Red notebooks and thus far I really like it. It may not lay exactly flat on the table when open anywhere but straight down the middle, but when it's open it is flat from page to page.

Black n' Red Spiral vs. Apica Spiral - The Black n' Red binding is around 17mm while the Apica binding is just over 11mm, so ~1/4" difference.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z297/bwithorn/Pens/20160803_1005561_zpsztswqo6d.jpg

Black n' Red Spiral vs. Rhodia Spiral vs. Black n' Red case - Rhodia binding is around 16mm.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z297/bwithorn/Pens/20160803_1001361_zpsuy7lwiu4.jpg

frmamede
January 15th, 2017, 12:14 PM
I've bought a few of the Oxford notebooks, and they are very FP friendly. Also, they have a "signature" line, which is a bit expensive, but lie pretty flat! They also have great spiral bound options, in many sizes. :)

sharmon202
January 15th, 2017, 03:40 PM
There is a great on from Moo, where you buy business cards & things. Been using mine a couple months & love it flat, great paper quality

KKay
January 21st, 2017, 09:24 AM
Nanami Seven Seas notebooks are the flattest, but you have to break them in a little.

Cocobird
March 14th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Circa notebooks, by Levenger, use discs. They lay totally flat, and have all kinds of nice paper, and some have dots instead of lines or graph squares.

TSherbs
March 18th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Most any spiral bound notebook is going to lie nice and flat. The question becomes how large is the spiral binding (how many pages) and how much of an impediment does it become when your hand hits it and you have to adjust to go up and over. For this I have to say the Apica side bound are great as the wire binding is low profile. My Rhodia and Black n' Red notebooks have a much larger binding which gets to be annoying. It put me into a temporary bind as I really like the Black n' Red paper quality and notebook. It's cheaper and has better paper than Rhodia. I recently bought one of the hardcover case bound Black n' Red notebooks and thus far I really like it. It may not lay exactly flat on the table when open anywhere but straight down the middle, but when it's open it is flat from page to page.

Black n' Red Spiral vs. Apica Spiral - The Black n' Red binding is around 17mm while the Apica binding is just over 11mm, so ~1/4" difference.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z297/bwithorn/Pens/20160803_1005561_zpsztswqo6d.jpg

Black n' Red Spiral vs. Rhodia Spiral vs. Black n' Red case - Rhodia binding is around 16mm.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z297/bwithorn/Pens/20160803_1001361_zpsuy7lwiu4.jpg

Very helpful pics.

littledebbie
March 19th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Do you have any writing samples on the black & red notebooks, and are you usually able to write on both sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob
March 19th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Do you have any writing samples on the black & red notebooks, and are you usually able to write on both sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Black&Red notebooks are fountain safe. You can write on both sides

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scooby921
March 21st, 2017, 07:13 AM
I don't have any writing samples at the moment. I use the notepad at work, so it's filled with work-related notes I'd prefer not to share.

Here's the post for the Black n' Red paper in the paper comparison thread I made. It's not written front and back, but you can see that there is no bleed or show-through on the back side of the paper.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/16766-Paper-Review-in-Photos-Multiple-brands-same-pens-and-inks?p=175991&viewfull=1#post175991

KrazyIvan
March 21st, 2017, 11:24 AM
Spiral bound is hard to beat for flattest. I just don't like the bump that my hand runs into while I'm writting. You could have your own paper printed with grids or dots and then have it spiral bound at any big box office store.

chalkdust
August 6th, 2017, 08:23 AM
I have found that "coptic binding" is the trick for flatness. On a recent journey, I journaled in a Moleskine Chapters Dot Grid notebook (I know, Moleskine is not "FP friendly" - but this one worked great for me and my fountain pen). This notebook is about 1/4 inch or .5 cm thick, but it lays completely flat when opened.

I am not trying to recommend this particular notebook, but instead am suggesting this type of binding. Have others found this binding to allow lay flat opening?

Stickler
August 6th, 2017, 08:25 AM
My Rhodia 180 book lays pretty flat, until the book is like 150 pages on one side

Armstrong
August 9th, 2017, 04:12 PM
If I need flat I generally do one of two things. If I require a spiral notebook or a bound notebook I go with a top spiral bound.

Two, use loose leaf and a clip board. Store notes in the binder, write on the clip board. This is the best system I have found for a flat writing surface.

rluka
August 19th, 2017, 07:47 AM
On ring notebook, anyone had experience with Kokuyo's squishy ring note (http://www.kokuyo-st.co.jp/stationery/softring-note/) ?
It uses soft plastic ring instead of metal wire.
Also available in ruled, plain, square grid, dot grid, and even manuscript rule.