PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a New Pen- Need Advice

redlethe
January 19th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Hi all! I'm new around these parts. >_> To be perfectly honest, I don't know that much about fountain pens. At least, not when it comes to differences between brands, quality, etc. So I need some help.

Y'see, I'm an artist. I do comics (i.e. http://rlfcomic.com ) and occasionally illustration (i.e. http://fav.me/d4sy7ed ). I've got a favorite pen already for detail- Tachikawa School pens. However, I'm looking for something for more line variation and the capacity to make really bold lines. In short, I'm looking for a pen that has-
1. Flex or semi flex nib
2. Is affordable (under $50)
3. Preferably has a cartridge system.

I have tried a Noodler flex pen. I like the lines I can get with it, but having to clean everything after I use it can be a real pain. Hence my desire for a cartridge system. Also I always have to jostle it around to get it to work in the first place.

Honestly, I'd even settle for a pen body and swapping out the nib if I knew the two were compatible. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Addendum: I would be fine with a pump system if I didn't have to thoroughly clean it after every use.

snedwos
January 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I don't see what you mean about having to clean everything after you use it... When you run out of ink you'd have to clean it out in order to change colour, and every few weeks even if you're sticking with one ink. But that would also be true of a cartridge pen, except you'd have to do it more often, since cartridges don't last very long (esp with flex).

Ahab sounds about right for you, if you get a good one (they can be unreliable).

snedwos
January 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM
If not, check here (www.fountainpenrevolution.com) for cartridge/converter pens with flex nibs.

redlethe
January 19th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Hmm. Maybe I just didn't get a good one, then. An Ahab is what I have. It gums up regularly and I have to clean it out after every use or it'll dry out by the next time. Also the nib will get crusty. Occasionally it will even stop working in the middle of using it. Got this maybe a month ago?

Hadn't considered a converter pen. Something to explore, certainly. Thanks for the link!

Tracy Lee
January 19th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I haven't used a cartridge in a couple of years. All converters and bottles for me and I find I have a lot less issues in general with all of my pens. Less drying in between, easier to clean when needed, etc.

snedwos
January 19th, 2013, 07:49 PM
What ink have you got?

redlethe
January 19th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Til now I've been using technical pens, so I'm using up the bottle of rapidiograph ink I had for those. I figured the ink was fine enough for a fountain pen if it didn't clog up .005 rapidiographs. But perhaps it dries out too quickly?

snedwos
January 20th, 2013, 06:50 AM
AAAAAAGHHH!!!!!:jaw: That's India ink! (I believe). NEVER EVER EVER EVER put India ink in a Fountain pen! It's a good job you were cleaning it out after every use: if it had dried up the pen would have been dead. India ink uses solid pigments and a shellac or gelatin binder, both of which are independently dangerous for the channels of a fountain feed, and together are a recipe for disaster!

Fountain pens have a rather more intricate internal structure than technical pens, they rely on capillary flow, whereas technical pens just use gravity. You need a water- and dye-based ink labelled as suitable for fountain pens. Luckily there is far from a shortage of these! A good starting point, given you have a Noodler's pen, would be Noodler's ink, but there are other excellent brands such as Waterman, Diamine, Pelikan...

You maaaaybe want something like Platinum Carbon Black (http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_Carbon_Black_Ink_p/plat-inkc-1500-1.htm), if you're looking for something a bit like India ink. I haven't used it myself, but it seems to be popular among artists who want something black and washable-over.

I used the Goulet link because they have (in my opinion) the best website for comparing different inks, and the widest selection. You should of course buy ink and supplies from wherever suits you best.

redlethe
January 20th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Well now you know how new I am to all this. Heh. Anyway, thanks for letting me know. That explains a lot. I'll make sure to give the pen another thorough cleaning, just in case there's any residue. Are there any fountain pen inks that are archival in quality? Specifically acid free?

fountainpenkid
January 21st, 2013, 07:47 AM
Well now you know how new I am to all this. Heh. Anyway, thanks for letting me know. That explains a lot. I'll make sure to give the pen another thorough cleaning, just in case there's any residue. Are there any fountain pen inks that are archival in quality? Specifically acid free?

Diamine Registrars, I think, is an acid free ink. (Used by some form of British government for signing documents...)

snedwos
January 21st, 2013, 08:06 AM
Diamine Registrar's is iron gall (definitely not acid-free), so you might want to be careful. Noodler's "bulletproof" inks are probably similarly permanent, but they haven't been tested for long enough to be considered archival.

Registrar's ink will still be a good bet, as most modern iron gall formulae are designed to be safe, especially from reputable companies like Diamine.

Maybe the Platinum Carbon and Sailor Nano inks?

fountainpenkid
January 21st, 2013, 08:34 AM
Diamine Registrar's is iron gall (definitely not acid-free), so you might want to be careful. Noodler's "bulletproof" inks are probably similarly permanent, but they haven't been tested for long enough to be considered archival.

Registrar's ink will still be a good bet, as most modern iron gall formulae are designed to be safe, especially from reputable companies like Diamine.

Maybe the Platinum Carbon and Sailor Nano inks?

Thanks for the correction. But isn't it still archival quality to an extent?

redlethe
January 21st, 2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I suppose I don't technically need it to be archival such as you would use in museum settings...but it'd be nice to have a nonacidic ink that wouldn't ruin the artwork after a couple of years. I like to hang on to my pieces without them deteriorating. I'll look in to the Platinum Carbon and maybe some of the others.

Update on the noodler pen- no harm done! My repeated cleaning seems to have saved it. I got a cheap bottle of fountain pen ink locally just to test it (I'll have to order the acid free stuff). A little soap and water and the pen is fine and writes very nicely.

KrazyIvan
January 22nd, 2013, 08:50 AM
Private Reserve ink is pH neutral. Some of the inks are archival but most will wash out or at least fade in water.