PDA

View Full Version : Haskoson: very first kitless fountain pen

haskoson
June 9th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Hi there!

Iīm new to this forum, so Iīd like to introduce myself:

My name is Gerrit / haskoson and iīm living in the northern part of Germany.

About last X-mas i started turning pens (kits at first).
2 month ago i decided to try kitless fountain pens and here i am...
After a lot of reading i gave it a try.
iīm sure i coudnīt have done it without all these helpfull postings here and at the IAP & FPN.
thank you very much to all of you!!

This is my very first selfmade fountain pen.
It is made of a material called "JUMA" and the nib is a #5 Bock medium.
It has a single M12x0,75 cap to barrel thread.
The section to barrel thread is M9x0,75 as are the threads for the finials.

I made this fountain pen by hand on a wood lathe without any x/y-compound table or the like (how i wish i had something like this...i really wish for a metal-lathe!!)

i know i have to work on designs and my photographic skills...

Comments and critics are welcome.

best regards

Gerrit / Haskoson

Lady Onogaro
June 9th, 2016, 04:57 PM
I think it's a very good first effort. I like the design, though you might experiment with other colors than black and white. I don't know much about the material you name. Is it rather soft to the touch?

VertOlive
June 9th, 2016, 06:08 PM
What is "Juma"? Is has an interesting matte finish that I like. Very nice looking pen and thanks for sharing!

scrivelry
June 10th, 2016, 10:12 AM
To me this is astounding for a first effort at anything! I would be insufferably full of myself if I ever managed anything like that!

I echo the desire for finer tools, although in my case in different crafts than turning. Truly fine tools make things so much easier. Until then, you can take pride in the skill you develop using less than perfect tools to make fine things. This pen is certainly something to be proud of.

Crazyorange
June 10th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Awesome job. I hope you keep posting new pens as you make them.

penwash
June 10th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Good job!
I am also intrigued about this material "JUMA" which looks like a matte resin or hard-rubber.
Can you give us some info about it?

haskoson
June 11th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Thanks to you all for your comments!

"Juma" is a resin/mineral-mix.
I like to use it for prototyping because itīs cheaper than most other materials i know (16mm diameter, ~ 3 ft., ~$20).
it can be cut like butter, but itīs best worked with carbide-tools īcause HSS-tools get dull very quickly.
Itīs available in black und ivory in different diameters as round rods and other colours in square rods.
But it canīt be polished to a very high gloss. the pen iīve posted was sanded up to grid 12000 with MicroMesh but the material keeps this "satin"-finish.
http://www.elforyn.de
this is the online shop of the manufacturer

Gerrit / Haskoson

Red Harry N. G.
June 13th, 2016, 04:26 AM
Wow, this looks great! I'm glad you've decided to share your work here – it will be very interesting to follow your progress. Would you mind sharing what your background is (e.g. woodworking)?

Also, I appreciate kitless handmade pens. Kit pens always look so uncomfortable. And in most cases not aesthetically pleasing at all.

haskoson
June 14th, 2016, 01:53 PM
thanks for the kind words

Would you mind sharing what your background is (e.g. woodworking)?
iīve been woodworking for about two years and started woodturning last year.
For Christmas i wanted some pens as gifts for friends and relatives and so i started penturning . that was fiine for a while but then it became some kind of boring to just turn wooden pieces round for kit pens.
with pen kits i was way to limited to express myself. i wanted to do my own designs, i wanted to cut threads and give the pen a shape i like. so there was no other option than to start turning kitless.

Gerrit/Haskoson

Red Harry N. G.
June 16th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Thank you, that was very interesting to read! Keep up the good work!