PDA

View Full Version : Clearing out old stock? OMAS 556Fs appearing on amazon and others

fountainpenkid
June 9th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Hi all,

Like many, I was saddened by the recent bankruptcy of OMAS, whose products--the most tasteful and subtle of the Italians, to my eye--I had barely yet experienced. As I have a paid internship this summer, I have decided to take the plunge and buy two OMAS pens before, I expect, they become very, very scare: one to use, and one to save, as a sort of investment. I was browsing around to see what is still being sold new at this point, and came across a 556F model being sold new from a few stores made from blue vegetal with either gold or silver trim. Here's one link: https://www.goldspot.com/store/omas/arte-italiana-vintage-556f Does anyone know what the story is with these? Update: A few minutes after I wrote this, I took a more detailed look at the listing descriptions, and apparently, "These pens originally were sold exclusively for the Japanese market and have made their way to the US through OMAS' US distributor." Can any Japanese members perhaps corroborate this? I believe it, given that it seems a number of manufacturers have made pens especially for that market, but I'm just surprised I never knew these were made. (At fist I thought these might be some sort of re-branded old-style Milord, but looking at the measurements of the two, the 556F is larger in every dimension.)

Thanks!

fountainpenkid
June 20th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Oh...and I bought one! Though I can't really justify the price, I absolutely love using it. I think a review is to come! Here are a few shots with a nautical backdrop:

carlos.q
June 20th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Nice! How large is this pen? How does it compare in size to a Pelikan M400?

john
June 20th, 2016, 06:56 PM
It's as big as M800 at least.

fountainpenkid
June 20th, 2016, 06:58 PM

It is considerably thicker and longer when capped, just a little bit shorter than a Parker "51". Uncapped, the section girths are similar, although if you are holding the OMAS on the threads--and because the section's so short it's impossible not to--it will be a bit thicker. But weight-wise, the pen is very, very light--I'd say 15g capped (I'll measure it in the lab tomorrow). The vintage 400 in the following phone-quality photos (apologies :() feels considerably heavier. (If I had an M400 with me, I think I'd feel less of a difference--there's some aluminum in the cap of the vintage model that adds a bit of weight.)

fountainpenkid
June 20th, 2016, 07:07 PM

Actually, I think it's a bit smaller, although I can't say I've handled m800s that much.

Looking at the measurements from Goldspot and nibs.com's page (for the m800) confirms this: OMAS capped: 5.35 in VS the m800's 5.438, Section diameter: .39 in vs. .42....

fountainpenkid
June 20th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Here's another comparison shot. From left to right: Waterman's 12S saftey c.1912, Parker "51" Aero midnight blue, Pelikan 400 tortoise, 556F

TropicalPenGal
June 20th, 2016, 07:39 PM
I agree that OMAS pens are some of the loveliest, most understated of the Italian pens, and it's a great, great loss that they are out of business. In April I was able to pick up a Milord Cruise in blue for around $230 through a FB group buy. It's the only OMAS I own, and though it is much smaller than yours, it is so elegant and beautiful. Congratulations!

fountainpenkid
June 21st, 2016, 03:26 PM
I agree that OMAS pens are some of the loveliest, most understated of the Italian pens, and it's a great, great loss that they are out of business. In April I was able to pick up a Milord Cruise in blue for around $230 through a FB group buy. It's the only OMAS I own, and though it is much smaller than yours, it is so elegant and beautiful. Congratulations!

Thanks! I never actually realized the Cruise was smaller than the normal Milord until now(a quick perusal of google images shows it's about the same size as the CH 91)--it would be a great fit in the hand for me, and I would try to hunt one down if it was a piston filler and had an ebonite feed. :)

john
June 21st, 2016, 07:20 PM

Actually, I think it's a bit smaller, although I can't say I've handled m800s that much.

Looking at the measurements from Goldspot and nibs.com's page (for the m800) confirms this: OMAS capped: 5.35 in VS the m800's 5.438, Section diameter: .39 in vs. .42....
Oh...I think that its size is similar with the Milord.
Sorry for my mistake.