PDA

View Full Version : Haskoson: 2nd fountain pen - a fat ebonite cigar

haskoson
June 11th, 2016, 06:20 PM
This is my second fountain pen.
I wanted to do a fat cigar pen in Cumberland ebonite.
It worked out fine, but i forgot to polish the tenons before thread cutting...
I tried to polish these parts after i cut the threads but that did not work very well.
Working for the first time with ebonite, i could not polish it very well.
I sanded it from grid 100 to 1000 and Micromesh up to grid 12000 but i´ve not been able to get it scratch free. Still waiting for a buffing wheel.

The pen has a #5 medium Bock nib, a M9x0,75 thread from section to barrel and M12x0,75 thread from barrel to cap.

Comments and critics are welcome.

Gerrit / Haskoson

Lady Onogaro
June 11th, 2016, 09:52 PM
I think it is very pretty. I like clipless pens, and that shape and color of ebonite is very attractive.

rafapa
June 11th, 2016, 11:23 PM
I would recommend some distinction between barrel and cap. With the pen closed is not easy to identify both parts.
Also the threads from section to barrel could be increased a bit allowing the use as eyedropper more easily.
Both threads open in the same sense? For ebonite pens I prefer to have them opening in opposite senses.
In this way there is no danger you open the section trying to open the cap. I am impressed by the result considering
is your first time working with ebonite.
Please keep showing your works.

VertOlive
June 12th, 2016, 01:56 PM
So far, so good--keep going!

inklord
June 13th, 2016, 04:21 AM
Good work! I like the long section considering that the cigar shape requires a big step from section to barrel. I agree with rafapa that a longer threading barrel-section would make eyedropper filling more secure, provided that the nib unit is seated tightly enough for that. Another possibility would be to turn in a shallow groove at the nib-facing end of the section threads to accomodate a suitable o-ring. Style and material are absolutely beautiful.