PDA

View Full Version : Newbie member from UK

lpbh25
January 20th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Hi everyone, I'm Leigh and I live in Hampshire, England. I have a few fountain pens, although I am not a serious collector, but I would like to ask if anyone knows of any good online stores in the UK that do a wide range of pens and inks. I know about Cult Pens, Pure Pens and Tiger Pens, but if there are any other stores that anyone would recommend, I would appreciate it. I am not looking for vintage or collectable, just stores that do new pens. Thanks.

SEBENZA
January 20th, 2013, 06:51 AM
i cant answer you question still newbies myself but hello anyway .

fountainpenkid
January 20th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Welcome! What is your current collection?

auto winder
January 20th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Welcome :welcome:

lpbh25
January 20th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Hi, I have a Lamy (not sure which model, either a Safari or AL Star - its black plastic), a Parker IM, plus some other cheaper budget ones. As I said, I am not a collector and I don't have any expensive pens, but I just love pens of all sorts. I wouldn't call what I have a 'collection'. I just have loads of pens of all sorts - I'm more of a hoarder than a collector! LOL. Although I would love to get a Noodler's Flex Ahab. I also have some calligraphy pens - I do a bit of drawing/sketching when I get the urge. I am also a keen crossworder, so I am always on the lookout for a decent ballpoint. Yes, I know, ballpoints are the devil's instruments, but you just can't do a crossword with a fountain pen - the ink and paper just aren't compatible.

Bogon07
January 20th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Hi Lpbh25 and welcome.

I've tried these UK sellers Coln Gallery, Pilotfish/OnlinePenCo, WritingDesk for Lamy pens.

If it is plastic it would most likely be a Safari.
The Al-Star has an aluminium body and cap with smokey grey transparent plastic section.

Some of those sellers have Lamy Joy calligraphy sets with 1.1, 1.5 & 1.9 italic nibs at reasonable prices which can be swapped into your Safari.

SEBENZA
January 20th, 2013, 06:15 PM
wh smiths have a good range i found out today including lamy waterman Sheaffer Pens and inks .

in fact the lamy safari in wh,s are cheaer than i paid on ebay after searching for lowest priced 13.99 .

will be popping in tomorrow .

snedwos
January 21st, 2013, 05:32 AM
Hi, I have a Lamy (not sure which model, either a Safari or AL Star - its black plastic), a Parker IM, plus some other cheaper budget ones. As I said, I am not a collector and I don't have any expensive pens, but I just love pens of all sorts. I wouldn't call what I have a 'collection'. I just have loads of pens of all sorts - I'm more of a hoarder than a collector! LOL. Although I would love to get a Noodler's Flex Ahab. I also have some calligraphy pens - I do a bit of drawing/sketching when I get the urge. I am also a keen crossworder, so I am always on the lookout for a decent ballpoint. Yes, I know, ballpoints are the devil's instruments, but you just can't do a crossword with a fountain pen - the ink and paper just aren't compatible.

Not true. The right pen and ink combo will do just fine. Noodelr's X-feather will probably work perfectly, I've used wetter inks, but with a fine nib all you have to worry about is bleedthrough, which shouldn't matter if you've already read the other side!

As for ballpoints, I still haven't found one at any price point that writes better than a Bic Cristal. I know some people say that if they're going to have to use a biro that at least it should be a good one -- I think that if you're going to use a biro spending any more money than a Bic is a waste...

Toffer
January 21st, 2013, 10:13 AM
The writing desk is a good UK website, used them the other day, really quick dispatch and delivery! :)

snedwos
January 21st, 2013, 10:45 AM
write here pens are also excellent, though I've only been to their physical shop, which is rather out of your way in Shrewsbury...

lpbh25
January 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM
Hi Sebenza,

Well, all I can say is that your branch sounds a darn site better than my local branch; honestly, I don't know what has happened to WHSmith. They used to be such a good store. I have such fond memories of being a kid and getting my birthday gift voucher (my birthday fell during the summer holidays) and going mad with all their new 'Back To School' stuff. Now, all that's really worth looking at these days is their selection of magazines. I suppose you have to blame sites like Amazon and online shopping in general. Our branch does have a glass pen cabinet, although it's usually covered with so much other crap that you can barely see the pens. Thanks for the reply. I think that I have enough feedback to do my research. Kind regards.

lpbh25
January 21st, 2013, 02:18 PM
Talking about inks, Lamy ink cartridges were nearly £5 for 5 in WHSmith, yet in Ryman's, the same pack was £2.50 (or maybe it was £2.49). What the hell is going on?

earthdawn
January 21st, 2013, 11:04 PM
http://www.pensunique.com/fountain-pens.html ~ Makes some beautiful pens

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk ~ Huge selection

http://www.writeherekitenow.co.uk ~ Huge selection

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/index.html ~ Great Fountain Pen organization to join. They sponsor the big show in London every year.

Ohhh... Welcome to the board... great to have you with us!

KrazyIvan
January 22nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
I can't add to any of the information already posted but welcome to the board.

SEBENZA
January 22nd, 2013, 01:03 PM
Talking about inks, Lamy ink cartridges were nearly £5 for 5 in WHSmith, yet in Ryman's, the same pack was £2.50 (or maybe it was £2.49). What the hell is going on?

hi yes sorry ipbh i visited them today and there website exagerates there stock and in store prices were alot dearer,
and yes there was a glass cabinet and yes it had lots of crap piled in it obscuring view of £250 pens .
shame as if they stocked what they show online at same prices they would be a great place again .

UK Mike
January 23rd, 2013, 04:37 AM
Welcome. I'm not far from being a newbie on here myself.

I agree entirely with the observations about WH Smiths - they even charge over the odds for Parker Quink bottled ink! Luckily Rymans are only a few doors away in my town so guess who gets my High Street business.
Once you get the bug you will find yourself buying more exotic inks from a local pen shop or by mail order. WHS and Rymans have only a very limited range - usually one brand and three colours - Black, Blue and Blue-Black.

lpbh25
January 23rd, 2013, 07:48 AM
Thanks for your reply, Mike. I am relieved to know that I am not alone in my frustration about high street shopping. I know that online shopping makes things so much easier; but there are certain things, such as pens and, indeed, inks, that you like to look at close up before you buy. We have a little market town near us that has a lovely little artshop/stationers. They get a lot of business from the nearby art college, so thank goodness for the college, or the shop may not survive. Have you had any experience of buying from the US? I would love to buy some of the stuff from Goulet pens, but the thought of being stung by customs/duty has put me off. I am currently awaiting delivery of my first ever Noodler's pen, that I bought from Pure Pens - I decided to get an Ahab flex; as they seem so popular. Although, I only have either black or blue Quink to put in it. Maybe I shall get the bus to my little market town and treat myself. Kind regards.