PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer lady pen

edteach
June 14th, 2016, 06:38 AM
I bought a group of pens at a flea market and in the lot was a Sheaffer lady pen. I put the section with nib in hot water with soap and cleaned it out. My wife wanted it so I put Noodlers ink in the cartridge that came with it. Took a bit but got it to write. She used it and it stopped flowing for a bit. She brought it home from work and when I wen to look at it, it wrote very well. what would cause this to stop up then flow again? Ink dissolving that did not get cleaned out?

Lady Onogaro
June 14th, 2016, 10:17 AM
I would say that it's old ink still in the feed. Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? You might try cleaning the section with that.

Jon Szanto
June 14th, 2016, 12:05 PM
And if you don't have a USC, you should at least arm yourself with a bulb syringe (available at any drugstore) so that you can *forcefully* flush water through the section to get some pressure to loosen up any bad stuff. Also, be careful with the "hot water". It is usually best to not use more than *warm* water when soaking/cleaning pens, as there may be parts of the pens that will deform or degrade if the water is too hot.

pajaro
June 16th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Also, about hot water, a sealant might be holding something together, and the sealant's hold might be released by heat.