PDA

View Full Version : All Forums Marked "Private" Unless I Log In

Jerome Tarshis
June 18th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Over the past couple of days, something new is happening when I go to fpgeeks. In the past I could see messages posted to the various fora. If I wanted to post a message or take some other action, I would log in. As things are now, others seem able to use the site without logging in. When I arrive at fpgeeks, all the fora are marked "Private" and if I go to one I am told there are no messages.

Just now I read that there were 296 users online, 21 members and 275 guests. If only logged-in members can read anything, what were all those 275 guests doing? If they were reading messages, why can't I?

earthdawn
June 18th, 2016, 10:12 PM
Google spiders

If anything else changed in the settings only Eric would know.

snowbear
June 18th, 2016, 10:13 PM
I'm guessing those 275 folks are staring at their screens wondering why they can't read anything.

I don't get them either if I'm not logged in.

Red Harry N. G.
June 19th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Neither can I! (And was wondering the same for the last two days.)

Definitely interested what's going on.

Laura N
June 19th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Same. I ended up having to log in on my phone, which I never had to before.

Maybe there's been an issue and this is how they address it? It would seem to discourage new users, however.

Annie
June 20th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Having to login to read anything is annoying. I hope this changes soon. If it doesn't, I will be a less frequent visitor.

oldstoat
June 20th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Long before I joined FPG I browsed. Most people I know do the same on most forums. Stopping browsing as a guest will mean fewer people joining.

Jon Szanto
June 20th, 2016, 05:14 PM
I think everyone might want to start getting used to their experience changing. Radically. Maybe evaporating.

Think about where you would call home if FPG went away.

Sandy Fry
June 21st, 2016, 04:46 AM
I too am experiencing the same problem.

@Jon....scary thought!

David

pengeezer
June 21st, 2016, 05:27 AM
I don't have a problem with it.....not logging in just made it easier to see what was going on.

John

View from the Loft
June 21st, 2016, 05:44 AM
There is definitely something going on.

Popcorn
June 21st, 2016, 03:25 PM
Any response on this? Having to login to read stuff is frustrating, especially for people who use multiple devices. (Not to mention, as others have noted, that it discourages new users and drives people away).

Red Harry N. G.
June 21st, 2016, 11:51 PM
Hm, I can now see everything without being logged in. Strange.

Jerome Tarshis
June 22nd, 2016, 12:13 AM
Hm, I can now see everything without being logged in. Strange.

I, who started this thread, can also read fpgeeks without logging in. A point of interest is that all of this has happened and been noted in this thread without any comment from The Management. The Authorities. La Direction.

Flounder
June 22nd, 2016, 04:01 PM
I thought maybe FPG was closing up shop, or the database was nuked, or something. Happy to be wrong.