PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc Meisterstück 144 fountain pen - 14k (OM) fake or not

funniq
June 19th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Hello everybody,

Ny name is André Niquet, 48 yo. I am new here and new to the fountain pen world.
Am living in Rotterdam The Netherlands, so English is not my native language so please bear with me. :)

I have a question. Through an auction site I have bought a Montblanc Meisterstück 144 fountain pen from the 1970's.
I have paid 150 euro excl. costs (about 170 USD).
Yesterday I received the pen and it was a little bit disappointing about the way it feels. It feels very cheap and light weight. Of course I have asked our global friend Google what his/her opinion is, but I am still not sure.
I have an original roller ball of Montblanc and this feels very solid, not cheap at all. I have read that the fountain pen is indeed somewhat lighter, but I cannot find what the weight should be of an original. This pen weighs 14 gram, so very light I think. Also a friend of mine who owns a MB fountain pen (but a different one) has his doubts.

Am very curious what you experts think of this?

Of course I have take a few pictures. Not very easy by the way ;-)

Pro's
- when you see the pictures it looks like it is from the 70's
- nib looks authentic, don't you think?

Cons
- feels very cheap 14 grams
- the white mountain top is embedded in the black. So with your finger nail you do not feel a difference
- There is no serial number or 'pix' mentioned (however it could be they started with that later than the 70's???)
- It takes standard international cartridges, is that correct?

Some pictures:

Hope you can help this newbe ;-) .

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
André

jar
June 19th, 2016, 07:12 AM
First, welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Unfortunately, while it is often possible to say a pen is a fake based on pictures it is nearly impossible to say one is authentic based only on pictures. There is nothing in your pictures though that screams fake and the modern 144 is a light pen, does take international standard cartridges and converters, serial numbers did not start until 1992 IIRC, "Germany" is the correct country of origin imprint for that period, corrosion on the gold band at the end of the section is about as expected for that period and yes, the snow cap should be embedded.

Chrissy
June 19th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Everything I can see in these pictures suggests that the pen is an authentic old Meisterstuck Classique 144. Pre serial numbers.

Chinese fakes don't have nibs and feeds like this.

It needs a service by Montblanc, Then it would get a nice new shiny look and a new band swapped in for that corroded one next to the nib. These always corroded.

pajaro
June 21st, 2016, 07:38 PM
The 144 is a light pen. I have four of them. This one looks genuine, and the clutch ring around the base of the nib pretty much confirms it as genuine because of the characteristic corrosion.

funniq
June 22nd, 2016, 07:44 AM
Thank you all so much for your replies

Kind regards