PDA

View Full Version : collection aim / focus

SEBENZA
January 22nd, 2013, 01:13 PM
what are you trying to achieve with your collection right now .

ive just started recently , but have decided to use/collect pelikan fps , ive started a bit haphazard as is usually the case when starting out , i have on the way 2 x m200 one i not even sure is m200 im not sure what age they are or anything about them really just they are resonably priced and beautiful , but the more i learn about them the more i learn what i want to aim for.
im going to wait for these to arrive and use them a bit , i might then try for one of each model , and then maybe look into vintage models when ive read some more books /sites etc .

im not 100% sure tbh but thats the fun of a new hobbie i suppose .

what are your collection focuses right now ?

Bogon07
January 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
I just get the ones like like the look of.(the same with inks).
And a bit of OCD with collecting Safaris and Al-Stars in different colours.

KrazyIvan
January 22nd, 2013, 02:39 PM
Same here. I look through the FPN classifieds or eBay for pens that grab my attention then work from there. I am going to have to be more selective from here on out though.

fountainpenkid
January 22nd, 2013, 03:08 PM
Good set of vintage pens; mostly from the 50's, but also 1930's pens are cool as well.

fpquest
January 23rd, 2013, 06:49 PM
I too just get pens that I like the look of or I like writing with. I'm a bit compulsive and if I find one style/brand I like I get a couple more in short order. I'm beginning to think I need to narrow the focus since my intent is only to get pens I'll use. One inking a year doesn't really count as use, and some have been longer.

fountainpenkid
January 24th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I too just get pens that I like the look of or I like writing with. I'm a bit compulsive and if I find one style/brand I like I get a couple more in short order. I'm beginning to think I need to narrow the focus since my intent is only to get pens I'll use. One inking a year doesn't really count as use, and some have been longer.

I can't conceive of not using a pen for more than a week! But I guess I have yet to have more than 10 pens, so I don't know what it would be like.

snedwos
January 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM
NO FOCUS!!!

I suppose that at the moment I don't have to have any focus, since I'm still looking for work. This leaves me the freedom to fantasise over just about any pen, since I can imagine almost unlimited future budgets for myself. I do have two grail pens, though: The Nakaya Aka-Tamenuri Ascending Dragon deskpen (http://www.nakaya.org/en/review.aspx?id=16016&type=body) and an Eversharp Doric, preferably a plunger filler, preferably with an adjustable nib in a decent size, and in a nice colour.

In the meantime, I will buy whatever I can manage to afford at any particular time and catches my eye. I have a nice green Parker Vacumatic onteh way. Looking forward to that, oh yes :D

fountainpenkid
January 24th, 2013, 03:25 PM
NO FOCUS!!!

I suppose that at the moment I don't have to have any focus, since I'm still looking for work. This leaves me the freedom to fantasise over just about any pen, since I can imagine almost unlimited future budgets for myself. I do have two grail pens, though: The Nakaya Aka-Tamenuri Ascending Dragon deskpen (http://www.nakaya.org/en/review.aspx?id=16016&type=body) and an Eversharp Doric, preferably a plunger filler, preferably with an adjustable nib in a decent size, and in a nice colour.

In the meantime, I will buy whatever I can manage to afford at any particular time and catches my eye. I have a nice green Parker Vacumatic onteh way. Looking forward to that, oh yes :D

I don't think I really have a set thing; in which I only buy pens that fit in a certain category. I love vintage pens with great celluloid and piston or vacumatic type systems. I like vintage pens more because they made pens that held lots of ink because it was important to people back then...that is why my tiny Parker Vacumatic Slender holds more ink than a Pelikan m1000, or why the vintage 400 holds more than the modern m800 or m1000. Pretty weird, but Pelikan uses the same size piston bore for all of their m series pens, because people like piston fillers, but usually just for fun; not because they need a ton of ink. The Pelikan m800 would hold like 2.5 or more mL if they maximized the piston bore.

fpquest
January 24th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I can't conceive of not using a pen for more than a week! But I guess I have yet to have more than 10 pens, so I don't know what it would be like.

Funny you should say that. I've been giving serious consideration to selling off most and concentrating on pens I really like (and are generally more expensive - hence the sell off). I do have too many pens that have gone unused for too long.