PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Tyrian Purple

Chrissy
June 28th, 2016, 01:18 AM
My latest ink is Diamine Tyrian Purple

This week the Wimbledon tennis tournament started and I'm a big fan of watching it all on TV. So I thought it would be appropriate to review a purple ink as that's one of the Wimbledon colours.

Tyrian purple is a technically bromine-containing, reddish-purple, natural dye. Diamine's version is a reddish purple ink that I would call a 'dusty' purple. It's a very attractive colour. It's also a great performer in all of the pens and on all of the paper I tried it with. It has very good shading, but no noticeable sheen.

It wrote straight away without any hard starts or skipping. The flow is excellent and it has great lubrication. Although the flow feels very slightly wet, it doesn't suffer from an overlong drying time.

It's a quite water resistant ink. I could still see all of the writing, even after over an hour, although it darkened in colour.

This is an ink that everyone should buy in an 80ml bottle. A great ink!

I had a problem with my monitor matching up both the review ink colour as well as the comparison inks colours. So I paid particular attention to making sure that the review ink colour looks an accurate match next to the review form. However, I can confirm that my sample of Noodler's BSIAR is that shade of pink!

Although this isn't sold as a waterproof ink, it shows good water resistance, as do many inks in this colour range. No fade test done, but this dye is known for not easily fading.

Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny surface, and I used a Libelle M nib, a Waterman F nib and a Lamy 1.1mm nib, this ink took 16-18 secs to dry.

It exhibited excellent flow and lubrication and I found it particularly nice to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.

It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles

Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=14) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

It's a reasonable price.

VegHead
June 28th, 2016, 03:10 AM
Now I do like this sample very much Chrissy.

rdcalhoon
June 28th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Tyrian Purple has been on my one-of-these-days list since it first came out. I hadn't realized it has some water resistance, so you have pushed it higher on my list. Thanks for another fine review.

southpaw52
June 28th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Chrissy, great review. Nice purple with some red undertones, I like it.